8 Airlines Raise Fares

Despite what may be the most frustrating summer ever for airline travelers, 8 airlines have decided to raise their fares. Why? Jet fuel prices are up 24% this year.

Southwest started the fare raise by upping their prices from $1-$10 each way on Aug 31. “American Airlines, United Airlines, Continental Airlines Inc., Northwest Airlines Corp. and US Airways Group Inc. matched the fares over the weekend, spokesmen said. Delta Air Lines Inc. and AirTran Holdings Inc. raised prices to a lesser extent,” says Bloomberg.

This will be the 10th fare raise this year. Only JetBlue and Alaska Air abstained from the latest increase.

Southwest leads way as 8 airlines raise fares [Baltimore Sun]
(Photo:Ack Ook)

Comments

1. ElPresidente408 says:

Watch out next year when Southwest’s $40/barrel oil contracts expire.

2. renilyn says:

I don’t see any reason why they shouldn’t be increasing their fares for fuel. No different than the extra $1-$5 charge on delivery-such as pizza, chinese etc (though, frankly, seeing that the airlines are talking about 1-10 dollars increase for each way… that does seem a bit much hahaha)

I guess what I am saying is.. if they increase prices to add extra say….peanuts, then ya, I’d be pissed.

3. Asvetic says:

The prices for fuel might be going up, but with all the cancellations wouldn’t that even things out?

4. renilyn says:

@Asvetic: You have me there… good point. Then again, $100-$250 a ticket to ‘change’ a reservation should probably do the same.

5. sleze69 says:

And yet with a record number of full flights, the airlines are STILL losing enough money to raise fares??

6. krom says:

I know: the answer is HYBRID JETS!

Uh, wait, never mind me.

7. bnet41 says:

@Asvetic:
    Not really. Those cancellations move passengers to other flights, which raise the weight and fuel needed. Also, I think there is a lot of idling going on due to ATC delays, and that is probably wasting a ton of fuel just sitting out there like that.

8. R3PUBLIC0N says:

I get the impression the price on airfare is such a factor in customer loyalty simply because there are no other reasons to be loyal. I’m curious how the big wigs in these companies get hired knowing seemingly nothing about their market. $20 on a $300 flight wouldn’t bother most people knowing their upcoming experience is not going to be a highly variable one.

9. jamar0303 says:

I really think that the way to get around flight cancellations and delays is to have more airports handle trans-Pacific/Atlantic flights. Spread out the load so that airports that otherwise get barely used can take up the flights from the big international airports.

10. bigTrue says:

Can we please have another major terrorist attack?** January after 9/11 I flew from Baltimore’s BWI to San Jose, CA for 175 bucks round trip, including taxes, on Southwest. I need people so scared to fly the companies have no choice but to drop prices.

**this is a joke, so please don’t get all angry at me.

11. Buran says:

@bigTrue: Southwest always has pretty good deals if you know where to look.

January is also an off-season for travel.

12. Buran says:

@ElPresidente408: I highly doubt they haven’t already signed more contracts to keep their prices steady.

13. FLConsumer says:

JetBlue’s not bad if you buy your tickets early. $140 round-trip from Florida to NYC ain’t bad. Of course, this totally neglects the fact that it’ll cost you another $100 in private car fees to get in & out of JFK.

14. CapitalC says:

Damned rights. Raise the fares 50 of 100%. Maybe finally I can get to my destinations on time because I’m not stuck behind some “casual travelers” who got $79 fares and haven’t the foggiest idea that the security sign indicating they should remove all metal objects from their pockets means ANYTHING METAL FROM ALL POCKETS.

I’d rather pay the extra to be sure I don’t sit on the apron for 6 hours either. I’d gladly spend an extra $200 to have my baggage arrive at the same airport on the same flight on the same day that I do.

Airfares have been dropping for far too long, not meeting the rising costs of operations.

Jack up the prices and make it quick like ripping off a band-aid, maybe the consumers will just shut up and pay the increases.

15. facted says:

@CapitalC: The obvious problem with this statement is that prices HAVE been increasing for quite a while now and service, clearly, has not. If I felt I was getting more and more for my increased ticket price, I may agree with you. However, I’m paying more and more for less and less.

16. CapitalC says:

How is it they’ve been going up when 15 years ago a flight from, say, LA to London would cost over $1500 but now those fares can be found for $399?

17. bigTrue says:

@Buran

I’d just like to fly from Detroit to Reno for Burning Man (last week of August) for sub 250 bucks without having to hit the super early fare sale from Southwest in February or March.

It has to be Southwest because they still allow three checked bags, while everyone else only gives you two.