Fall Is The Best Time To Buy Cars, Jeans, Wine And More

Did you know that the best time to buy wedding dresses is in November, right after Thanksgiving? For many items, fall is the best season to make a purchase, says SmartMoney’s “Deal of the Day” section. This includes wine and cars in September, jeans and toys in October, sneakers in November, and those bargain-basement wedding dresses right before December begins:

“The dynamic of the wedding industry is that most people get engaged at Christmas, and most people who are planning [a wedding] get distracted by the holidays,” says Alan Fields, co-author of “Bridal Bargains.” The result: very lonely bridal-shop owners anxious for business.

Now we know what everyone’s getting for Christmas!

“Best Time to Harvest Deals in Autumn” [SmartMoney]

(Photo: Maulleigh)

Comments

1. scoopy says:

Cool! I’m going to buy everyone wedding dresses for Christmas this year. ftw

2. I would just like to throw this comment up somewhere near the top of a story’s comment list to see if anyone agrees with me. Here it goes:

Most of the blogs run by Gawker tend to ban commenters, either based on the particular blog’s personal beliefs or suggestions by other commenters. Does anyone but me think it’s about time The Consumerist started punting some of the particularly thick-headed anti-consumer commenters that don’t read articles or understand the laws meant to protect comsumers? It would at least cut down on all of the arguing that goes on in these threads!

3. hc5duke says:

@thnkwhatyouthnk: examples?

4. @hc5duke: Are you serious? Have you read past the first 5 comments for any interesting story? Read the comments this story, and see how people are blaming the victim even though if you read everything carefully you find that he did no wrong. Or read this one and the comments from people who only watched the video (and/or thought the rebuttal video was real!) and aren’t bothered with trying to understand that spot delivery is an age-old scam.

And those are just 2 examples from today!

5. Scuba Steve says:

I’m going to suggest that my lovely bride to be (when and if that occurs) get her dress in November, and wait 6 months for a good time to get married. Hoping she doesn’t gain too much wait by the date, of course.

It’ll probably be duly noted, and ignored.

6. ParkerTheDog says:

@thnkwhatyouthnk:
    I agree that those anti-consumer trolls can be very annoying most of the time. But I think half the fun of reading The Consumerist is watching these trolls get put into their place by the rest of us. Perhaps rather than banning them altogether, Gawker could allow us to hide their comments. That way they can still speak their minds but the rest of us won’t have to waste our time reading their comments if we don’t want to.

7. B says:

@thnkwhatyouthnk: I don’t think we should ban anybody for having differing opinions, no matter how anti-consumer they are. Personally, I like to hear the other side of the story, so I know just why I disagree with that side.

8. Ben Popken says:

@B: Absolutely. Send recommendations to me.

9. @Scuba Steve: Generally you have to order three to six months in advance anyway. And they generally have you order a bit big exactly for that reason, because you’re going to be paying for alterations ANYWAY.

I guess the lead time is shorter if you’re shopping at David’s Bridal, but then you’ve got the taint of evil on you, so I guess it’s a trade off. :)

10. Ben Popken says:

@Ben Popken: Oops, this was supposed to be in reply to @thnkwhatyouthnk. Anyway, send troll recommendations to me, yes, please.

11. gacompguy says:

My wife and I just purchased a 2007 Honda Accord LX. You can’t miss the Honda (or any other brand of car) commercials right now during the evening news. It seems like every other commercial is either offering significant discounts or low interest financing so they can clear out their 2007 models.

We originally hit Cars Direct ([www.carsdirect.com]) and got a great price. After taking that price to a dealer (right around the end of the month in August), we got them to beat the price by a few hundred dollars. We ended up saving several thousand dollars compared to the pricing I was getting back in May/June.