Customer Videotapes What She Says Is Escape From "Spot Delivery" Car Dealership Scam

This is a video a customer’s daughter made after she says Brad Benson Mistubishi of NJ tried to scam her mother with a classic “spot delivery” scam.

In this setup, a dealership lets you drive away before signing a contract, saying the “banks are closed.” Then when you come back, surprise surprise, the financing terms have changed, costing you thousands more. Scam dealerships know that customers will find it hard to part with a car after forming an emotional attachment with it, but if someone tries to pull this on you, that’s exactly what you need to do. Drive the car back to the lot, hand them the keys, thank them for the free rental, and get the heck out of there.

That video was posted June 22nd. On September 1st, 3 days before it was set to appear on national TV as part of ABC’s i-Caught, Brad Benson posted this rebuttal video.

She said, he said; there’s two sides to every story. Brad decided to tell his after taping his i-Caught interview. His dealership has an unsatisfactory BBB record.

RELATED: Beware of Spot Delivery! Don’t Be Put “On The Spot.” [LemonLaw]

Comments

1. Charles Duffy says:

Is there no transcript? I don’t do YouTube. (Not anything philosophical, I just can’t stand spending two or three minutes watching something I could read in one).

2. Jesus On A Pogo Stick says:

Am I missing the scam part? All I’m seeing are some very scary finger nails and some guy that she isn’t even allowing to speak or help in any way. I’m not saying he didn’t scam her, because all I heard was “here’s the keys, the car’s right out side… here’s the keys, the car’s right out side… you scammed her” and nothing else. I hate to think that I would side with the guy, but what is there to prove that the dealership actually pulled a fast one on that lady?

3. bigTrue says:

Awesome.

As much as I’m first to say “Buyer Beware!” and curse anyone who doesn’t take the personal responsibility of looking out for themselves, this is what ever person should do.

Kudos for being a responsible consumer and doing what you need to do.

4. Buran says:

@Charles Duffy: I’m hearing-impaired. I’m increasingly frustrated by “stories” that are nothing but links to videos that ARE NOT CAPTIONED. Hello? There are those of us who use the Web so we can READ IT and the “throw a youtube link in there” cheapout gives us a totally useless “story”.

5. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

I ALSO don’t like all this YouTube stuff. I read this site at work (read) and can’t have the audio going for video. I also sometimes get the chance to read just two lines at a time, so pausing a video would get quite annoying. By all means, post YouTube videos, but please post a tanscript as well.

6. Abusiveelusive says:

You guys didn’t miss much with the video. It was lacking anything of substance.

7. celer says:

This happened to a good friend of mine, the dealer (Rosenthal Nissan of Tyson’s Corner) took his car on trade, said 7.5% interest is what you’ll get, then 3 weeks later they still couldn’t find a bank to take on my friends loan at anything close to that rate, because his credit was so bad.

So on the advice of a lawyer we tried to give the car back, the dealer said “sure, but you can’t have your trade nor the value we gave you for it, too bad”. So after fighting with them my friend managed to get 13% interest loan.

In the end it worked out ok, my friend took on the 13% loan and after a year re-financed the car down to about 7%, just holding the loan for a year dramatically improved his credit.

Of course we would have been much happier if they had been up front with us when he bought the car :( Sadly when they finally found the financing at 13% they still tried to add a few points on to it for their own profit, which we were able to negotiate off.

Sadly spot delivery is all too common.

8. bravo369 says:

I’m missing something also. Why does she keep cutting the guy off? We see a caption that this is a video of a scam but all we see is her handing the keys back and not explaining the situation. It seemed to me like the guy had no idea what was going on so shouldn’t she have at least given the guy a chance to respond and fix the situation if she was unhappy?

9. @Charles Duffy: You are my hero. It pains me greatly that we are shifting more and more aggressively away from the written word.

10. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

My company filters YouTube and Flickr, so we can’t see it even if we are on a break. Transcripts would be really helpful.

11. SkyeBlue says:

I don’t think she did anything wrong. She just went right in to the dealership, got proof of returning the car on videotape, stated her business and walked out. Obviously her mother felt like she had been scammed, was too upset to deal with it herself and her daughter took care of business for her. What, is it just too far-fetched to think that a car salesman might have actually LIED to someone?

12. Jesus On A Pogo Stick says:

@AlteredBeast:
    @Buran:
    @Charles Duffy:

When the man walks up, he basically asks why the lady why she has a camera. She then tells thim that basically every single person at the dealership is a liar and she is here to catch their horrible ways on camera. Once the man sits down at the desk with the lady it goes pretty much like this:

Man: What seems to be the problem?
    Lady: Here are the keys to the car. We don’t want it.
    Man: (begins to say something”
    Lady: (cutting him off) Here are the keys to the car. We don’t want it.
    Man: Why?
    Lady: Because you are all liars and you are running a scam on my mother. You’re upsetting her. So here are the keys to the car. We don’t want it.
    Man: (tries speaing again)

Rinse, lather, repeat. You are seariously not missing much.
    @Charles Duffy:

13. DadCooks says:

Add me to the “enough with the YouTube stuff” group, a waste of time and bandwidth.

Back on topic —
    Just turning in the keys may not be enough. I am sure that the dealership made a photocopy of her drivers license and had her sign a form with some very fine print and unintelligble legal jargon. I would not be surprised that this slimy dealership sends this “customer” a bill of some sort.

14. B says:

I don’t have anything against youtube in general, but I don’t watch out of focus videos with hard to hear sound and a wobbly camera.

15. hc5duke says:

Just playing devil’s advocate here, but don’t MOST car dealerships have unsatisfactory BBB ratings? I don’t have the data obviously, but just a hunch…

16. pouls29 says:

Where is the guy looking? Is he so full of it that he can’t even look at the camera “in the eye”? Or maybe they need to write bigger cue cards.

17. Jesus On A Pogo Stick says:

@SkyeBlue: But where is the proof that he lied to them. That’s all I’m asking for. He got in maybe 6-7 words total. I’m not saying that he’s an innocent angel, but the lady could have at least let him get in 10 words.

18. Buran says:

@Jesus On A Pogo Stick: Hey, I never thought I’d be thanking “Jesus on a Pogo Stick”. ;)

Thanks!

19. Jesus On A Pogo Stick says:

@Buran: You’re very welcome.

20. jamesdenver says:

I LOVE this consumer! She’s articulate, clear and concise, unemotional and straight the point with no extra BS or insults.

Great job.

21. gibsonic says:

this sort of happened to my wife and I when we first got married. We “bought” a car but because the banks were “closed” on a saturday afternoon they let us take the car home, leave our trade-in there and then we were suppose to come back in on Monday to finish the deal.

Monday rolls around and all of a sudden we weren’t approved unless we could come up with $2000 down.

I said nope. Brought the car back and even made them pay me for the gas I had to put in it since they gave it to me on empty.

Gotta stand up for yourself, that’s for sure.

BTW…vote me in on the less youtube/more transcripts crowd. Thx.

22. Frankieblackjack says:

I’m all for what she did and standing up against the crap they pulled, but can she represent her mother in the way she did (being a third party to a contracted deal)?

Also are you allowed to tell people in a business that they shouldn’t buy there? I know people do it, but having that recorded and telling people not to buy there before she left the premises seems to remind me that you’re not really allowed to do that. It’s another thing for her to stand outside on the sidewalk and do it though… if I recall.

Either way, nice job standing up to the guy.

23. jamesdenver says:

Wait I just watched the rebuttal. I stand confused.

Either way I still like the tenacity of the lady. I’d hate to be returning her daughter home late from a date.

24. chazz says:

I love this site and I have gotten a lot of useful information from reading it. However, stories like this stretch the credibility of the publishers. Is there no obligation to “fact check” what is being presented as a news story?

If blogs don’t follow the basic rules of fair reporting they will fall into the Yellow Journalism bucket. In the case of Consumerist it would be an especially evil shade of Yellow.

We all know there are scam artists, crooks, mindless corporations, evil government plans out there. A free press is the number one tool in the fight to keep them under control. While being an advocate allows a certain amount of bias in choosing stories it does not allow anything but the truth – less you become what you are protecting us from.

While this is the first I am writing, it is not the first time I have seen this Cavelier relationship with the facts and more damaging –the implication of what these sometimes meager facts represent.

There are also mean, stupid, evil, ill-informed scam artist consumers out there. Was this buyers remorse delivered with a video camera.

What if this salesman is not a scammer, what if the Mother did ask to leave with the car. How will I ever know. You may have done him harm. Are you OK with that possibility, when a simple fact check could have made almost certain. Your impartial credibilty is your service/product – don’t tarnish it.

BTW thanks for the many untainted pices I see here.

Chazz

25. Jerim says:

I would be curious why someone is returning a car and wanting to get out of there so fast. Especially when a camera is involved, seeing as cameras are use as proof. “Proof of what” this guy is probably wondering. For all he knows, this lady might have completely ruined the car in someone way, and she is trying to get on video that she returned the car and no one at the dealership said anything. I would just find it suspicious and would probably want to go over the car in detail before she leaves.

26. Jesus On A Pogo Stick says:

Umm… was the second video added scripted? Did he just endter himself into the video? And did they edit the lady to now say “Buy a car here” where the first one sounded like she said “Don’t buy a car here”? Weird.

27. humphrmi says:

Agreed on the YouTube comments. They’re a pain.

I’m not sure if the dealer’s rebuttal is correct, nor am I sure that the customers “video evidence” of a scam is correct. What I see in the customer’s video is her returning the car, them taking it, and then her disrupting the work of their sales staff as she leaves. What I see in the dealer’s rebuttal is – the mother wanted a car, but her credit is bad. So she proposes a co-signer, who’s credit is also bad (but not as bad as hers). I’m sure the dealer was not entirely faultless in the misunderstanding (and that’s the way I see it right now) but surely the well-educated consumer will know that going into a car dealership with C- credit backing up D- credit is going to result in some shaky credit terms.

I hate car dealers with a passion, and especially Kia dealers (they are the snake’s underbelly of car dealers) but I see this is as pretty much a misunderstanding based on a consumer’s expectations of their creditworthiness being set too high.

Kudos to Consumerist for posting both the “story” and the rebuttal.

28. godai says:

It looks like the scam took place before the video.

Mom leaves with car and understanding of terms of agreement to be X and that they had to comeback the next day to sign because the “Banks were closed”.

Mom comes back the next day and dealer says terms of agreement are Y.

Mom gets upset and sicks daughter on dealer.

Daughter goes in with camera and video tapes shows nothing really other then her giving keys and walking out saying “Don’t buy a car here”

Response video is a joke and a poor attempt at spin. An honest response rather then a “re-enactment” woulda been much more credible.

29. Jerim says:

@chazz:

I am completely agree with you. I think Consumerist.com has the great potential of really helping to fight back against some truly horrible companies. However, to maintain legitimacy three things have to happen. You need to make sure that all stories factual, make sure that each side gets their say, and that the customer isn’t always right.

Sites like this one have a way of becoming so one-sided, and so ridiculously biased toward customers, that many companies are able to write it off as a joke. I don’t want to see that happen, because of all the good a site like this can do and has done. But we have to methodical in the approach, and not always be looking to stick it to big corporations for every little thing they do.

30. SkyeBlue says:

Jesus on a pogo stick: I see it as protecting herself by NOT LETTING him get a word in edgewise!

Frankieblackjack: When she told the potential customer there at the dealership not to buy a car there I see it as just expressing her opinion. I don’t see anything illegal in that.

31. 2Legit2Quit says:

@Jerim, she was involved in a scam that Brad Benson is infamous for.

I’d watch out for any dealership in NJ. In all serious, many are tied together in either mob connections or just layers of undetected fraud.

Just a note to NJ car buyers, know what the car is actually worth, and what your credit is worth. Typically, it’s cheaper to go your own financing route and don’t listen to their bullshit – they’re professionals at it.

I bought a Mercury Cougar at a local used lot in Bordentown and the guy was trying to get a rip off of $6500. He even accidentally told me that the car has been sitting there for a few months and its time to push it. He quoted that $6300 was the lowest he’d go for the car.

My mom, another professional bullshitter, came in and just screamed at him that she wasn’t paying more then $5500 + a new ash tray (it was missing) + 30 day warranty + registration (had PA tags) + radio (broken). He said no way, and she said fine I’m leaving and just as we almost left, he broke down and gave me the car for $5500.

It pays to know what you’re buying and what else is available. Don’t rush into the first “amazing deal”

32. Butch Huskey says:

is the Eurythmics “Would I Lie To You” soundtrack concidental or intentional

33. mrjimbo19 says:

From what I gathered from watching the second video it looks like the mother and aunt were going to be cosigners on the car loan. When the aunt no showed the terms had to change because the risk changed, sucks but I don’t see harm in it. According to the only actual items presented in the video which happened to also be the rebuttal video the mother defaulted on multiple previous car loans and was probably lucky they would find anyone who would finance them regardless of the terms.

I agree with others though, I would love to have some actual facts attached to this story from the mother/daughter side as a video showing her walking into a dealership stating “you are liars and I am returning this car” does not really give people much to work with.

34. bsbeamer says:

Happened to me when I bought my Toyota Corolla. I was promised a 2.9% financing deal, 2 1/2 weeks later when I got back from a business trip I was told I needed to come in and finish signing the financing paperwork. At that point I was told me rate would be 3.9%. I argued, called banks to get another loan, but that was still the lowest rate out there… and they knew it. Basically making 1% on me for 5 years without blinking an eye. I ended up not fighting and just buying with the 3.9% since I donated my previous car to charity already and needed a car. Needless to say, I will not buy from that dealer again.

35. chazz says:

I agree kudos for putting the rubuttal on. I had not seen it before my original post. So I guess I also come down on the side of YouTube doesn’t really do the total job. I didn’t see it or realize what it was.

36. humphrmi says:

@SkyeBlue: Illegal, probably not (yet) since they hadn’t asked her to leave. Professional? No. Did she go to the dealership to return a car, or to “stick it to them”? If the latter, then I as I see it, they had every right to produce a rebuttal.

37. Lewis says:

Your mileage may of course vary, but I bought my last car via Eloan and it was the most wonderful and easy large-ticket purchase experience I have ever been involved in.

We applied online at within a few hours we had our approval and rate, and the next day we had a “blank check” (up to our approved amount) via overnight courier. The next day we visited a dealer, told them we were a cash customer, negotiated, signed the check over and left with our car. The dealer, unsurprisingly, tried to talk us into their financing, we were polite but firm (my wife might argue I was a bit too firm) and they took our Eloan check with a smile. While they didn’t get all of their bonuses for selling financing, they did make a $30K sale in less than an hour with very little fuss or muss.

I am not taking a position on this particular story because I don’t know that all the facts are on those two short videos, but pre-securing your financing can help make the car buying process significantly less impulsive and trying.

38. Cowboys_fan says:

I’ll have to check these guys out the next time I need to move, saves me on a truck rental ;-)

39. qwijybo says:

Those aren’t scary fingernails, its the claws of the famed Jersey Devil aka El Chupacabra.

40. oneswellfoop says:

I’m in the “the camera woman and her mother are fiscally irresponsible semi-literates who got buyers remorse” camp. I don’t trust car dealers at all, but I don’t begrudge a business the right to make an honest buck, as long as it is honest.
    Buying a car is an emotional decision, and I’m willing to bet that the woman’s mother expressed commitments inconsistent with the realities of her situation in order to get herself into a new car(nevermind what the hell someone who has had three cars repossessed is doing buying a brand new car and not a used one).
    This seems like uneducated consumers to me, or uneducated people overall. That being said, remember, I’m not supporting the dealership because, for all I know, they might have tried to scam her. It seems to me, though, that the buyers past credit history(and seemingly the credit history of the entire family) bring her up as the primary suspect for why this all happened.

41. chazz says:

Is it just me? The dealer seems more credible than the consumer. When did she find out the deal had changed, the Mother never came back? Did I miss something in the YouTubes? I also don’t see any legitimate reason a car dealer would let a car go off the lot without financing in place unless they planned to switch rates. That is why this story ultimately becomes a waste of time – without some real reporting. I’m exhausted – I need to get back to work.

42. hypnotik_jello says:

Scam or not, this is all really he-said she-said hearsay without any actual documented evidence in support-or-against the scam. Going into the car dealership after the fact doesn’t really support the woman’s claim as much as it would have if they filmed the entire scam from the outset with a hidden camera, dateline style.

43. rjhiggins says:

To those demanding a transcript: You’re paying zilch for a very entertaining and informative site, and all you can do is bitch about the fact that somebody didn’t sit down and spend an hour typing out a transcript for you so you could read it at work(!).

What a bizarre sense of entitlement. What’s next: You’re going to threaten to take your “business” elsewhere?

44. davebg5 says:

Can Benson make a video and tell the world about the credit history or this woman’s mother and aunt? Is that information not considered private or confidential? Does the fact that they don’t name names absolve the dealership of such responsibility?

I just thought I’d ask since the salesman in the first video made such a big deal about the woman having permission to record his image.

45. chazz says:

One last thing – if it was a scam the salesman seemed a bit eager to have it filmed. Usually these guys will just say “tell it to the palm.”

46. mrjimbo19 says:

@davebg5: I would agree but their was no name shared so it really does not open anything up, keep in mind we never saw the daughter or mothers face.

47. ncboxer says:

I love captioning on my TV- I always use it if it is available. That said, you have to get use to videos on the web not having transcripts or closed-captioning. I personally like to see videos to see visually what is going on. If all you like to see is words on the web, try the lynx browser (if it still exists). Sure, I like the videos even more if there is a transcript to follow along, but I realize that is a stretch. The only time I have seen transcripts is when videos are really popular and someone else adds them.

The web is becoming more and more visual. That is a good thing in my opinion. Does it leave some people behind- sure, and that is unfortunate. But I think it is a reflection of the world around us.

48. JKinNYC says:

My mom, who has bad credit, had a great experience with this specific dealership when she bought her latest car. Now, granted she came in with separate funding from her credit union, but she really really liked them. That, and the general reputation of the dealership in the central NJ area lead me to believe that Benson probably has the facts more correct. Of course, neither video really has proof, and Benson had way more time to prepare/script his, but I’m really more inclined to believe him anyway.

Frankly, with 3 previous foreclosures, I’m shocked she got a loan at all.

/cue the “astroturfing” comments.

49. draxen says:

I’ve had a bad experience with Brad Benson dealership myself – it was with Hyundai Service department. My car broke down and I had it towed there (closest to where I live). There was a problem with the engine. They kept my car there for several weeks and finally announced that I had wrong oil filter installed. I had to fight with them tooth and nail to get them to honor the warranty. I contacted the filter manufacturer (Champion Laboratories, Inc.) and they offered to test the filter for any manufacturing defects at their lab, at their expense. They did not find anything wrong with the filter. I also contacted the shop where I’ve had the oil changed (Meineke).
    The owner was so nice to provide me with copies of their cross-reference charts of oil filters (cause Brad Benson was not able to identify it themselves). Finally, after about six months of going back and forth, they agreed to make repairs under warranty, after they no longer had any wiggle room.

50. Antediluvian says:

I’m w/ the consumer. Yeah, she was tense and upset, but she comes off as much more credible than the dealership. The dealership lost me when they took edited the video to look like a mere continuation of the consumer’s. Deleting the word “don’t” to make it sound like she said “buy a car here” was over the top and highly unprofessional — in fact, downright sleazy.

51. joeblevins says:

I am in the camp of needed to see both sides represented here. Too often we get into the victim worshipping and forget that there is another side to this story.

Really comes off as dirtbag tries to buy a car with sub-par credit. Promises co-signer that can get approved, doesn’t show up. Dealer has to find different deal. Customer surprised they are being held accountable and turn ghetto trash mode on.

52. AdidasMJO says:

I love how they edit out the word “Don’t” from the phrase “Don’t buy a car here!” to “Buy a car here!”

53. mrbill says:

The “edited” response from the dealer was just a little too creepy.

54. JKinNYC says:

@MaxPayne3476: Missed the comment about Benson having a rep for this. Maybe my mom was spared because of her own funding then. Craptacular.

55. ElizabethD says:

That was worth watching just to hear the New Joisey accents!

56. tadowguy says:

The lady who shot the 1st video should file a DMCA complaint against the person who filmed the second one!

57. That said, you have to get use to videos on the web not having transcripts or closed-captioning.

@ncboxer: Deaf people should just get used to it. Riiiiight.

@jamesdenver: I’m confused too. Why did he say, “Let’s get your mother” and then cut to a shot of just him outside the dealership? Huh?

58. tadowguy says:

@joeblevins: Victim worshiping? You obviously weren’t here for the “chemically burned feet” posting.

59. Usermanual says:

This happened to a friend of mine, over a weekend, about 2 years ago. He picked up a car without signing anything on a Friday, realized that nothing was in writing and the dealership could change whatever they wanted by the time he got back on Monday.

We took the car and put nearly 800 miles on it. When the dealership called and changed his financing, he dropped the car off with appx 1400 miles on the odometer. Needless to say the dealership was irate because they could no longer sell the car as new. Later that week, they sold him the car as “used” for $2k less than the original price they were asking when it was “new”.

Sometimes even the best plans to screw consumers backfire.

60. vdragonmpc says:

I can say this happens a lot: An ex I was with years ago bought a truck at Haley Toyota in Richmond VA on Midlothian Turnpike. She traded a car owned in the clear (dodge colt) with low miles and financed a new toyota pickup truck. She did all of this and was happy. A week later they asked her to stop by the dealership as something was wrong. Now bear in mind she had all the paperwork, financing and a payment book.. The dealer tore up the agreements and told her the best they could do was a LEASE! She fell for it hook line and sinker. They had already sold her trade and told her the lease was all they could do and they would only put 5000 towards the lease of the 6800$ the car was traded in as.

I lost my mind when she told me and she was embarassed. Sad thing is I had warned her never to deal with them as I have had several Toyota Supras and that dealership couldnt fix a anything correctly and when you caught em on it they got openly hostile. They did not change anything after multiple visits I could have cosigned but thankfully I didnt as we didnt last as long as the payments would have…

V

61. Antediluvian says:

I have never seen a YouTube video — or any other video on the web — with captions, closed or otherwise. I’ve seen some with subtitles, but usually only over unintelligible speech to clarify that short segment. I’d love more captions, although transcripts are a decent compromise for situations like this one — for me. I’m not deaf, just possibly hearing-impaired a teeny bit, but prefer to watch tv w/ the closed captions on.

62. joeblevins says:

I can’t view YouTube because it gets filtered by work. Would be nice to get just a better run down in the OP.

63. royal72 says:

blah, blah, blah… bottom line, i haven’t met a car dealer yet that has the customer’s best interests in mind. i’m not saying you are or are not an honest sales person, but i am definitely saying that you don’t give a fuck about anything, but getting that car off the lot.

64. MrRockabilly says:

The very same thing happened to me at Puente Hills Mitsubishi in City of Industry, Ca. I left the lot very happy with the pre-qualified terms and left with my brand new car. That was on Sunday, Wednesday that same week I got a call . . . they could not submit to banks over the weekend and the terms have changed completely. They told me I had no choice but to sign the new contract. Needless to say I did not sign, and I was on my way out the door calling a friend for a ride home, and they magically were able to get things to how they were on Sunday . . . I will never shop there again, and I have not been back since. Not even for an oil change.

65. harshmellow says:

@Antediluvian: I’m with you, I was willing to sit through a legitimate rebuttal, but I then realized it was another sleazy trick by the toolbag car dealership. Nice editing BRAD. How freakin’ clever! I am sure you have earned every BBB complaint you have received.

66. godai says:

@Antediluvian: There’s a whole bunch of subtitled work out on youtube and the like services. But they tend to be Anime episodes. :)

67. Buran says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: If a huge portion of readers is shut out, then do the right thing and include a transcript… not like those of us who can’t hear well chose to live with this. I certainly didn’t, and it’s not a result of loud iPods or anything like that. We’re just asking for some help here, or at least some of us are; some of us just don’t want to have to deal with videos.

On a totally separate note, I wish there wasn’t so much vitriol flung at anyone who tries to sue under the ADA to get the help the law guarantees. I was sickened last week by the hatred I saw flung at two wheelchair users who sued Apple under the ADA due to inaccessible retail stores … and suddenly, Apple could do no wrong and the women in question were suddenly less than human.

Argh. Side unrelated rant off.

68. Antediluvian says:

@godai: Oh god. Unless they’re yaoi as sold by Walmart, in which case send me links!
    [consumerist.com]

69. Jay Levitt says:

@Celer: glad to see Rosenthal is still up to their old tricks. I bought my first “new-used” car there in 1989 – as opposed to my used-used 1979 Pinto that I was trading in.

Drove my new Nissan for a week, then got called back to the dealer for some “paperwork problems”. They took the keys back and told me they couldn’t get the financing after all, and, oh, they’d already got rid of my trade-in car.

I jumped and screamed and pitched a fit, and suddenly they found my old car – with a fresh new dent in it, which of course they refused to fix. They then told me “you and your boyfriend [my roommate] need to get off the lot”.

I ended up writing to their VP, and I think I got some money for repairs, but it left a very bad taste in my mouth.

@HC5Duke: Actually, you’d be surprised at how hard it is to get an unsatisfactory BBB rating. All you have to do to stay “satisfactory” is respond to every complaint. You don’t have to address it to the satisfaction of the customer, or anything – you just have to respond to it. Found that out when I discovered my CPA was charging me a few thousand bucks for work he didn’t actually do. I filed a complaint, and he responded (“FY”) so he was satisfactory.

70. NickRB says:

The girl probably signed a buyers order. IF she did sign a buyers order then the car dealership is a creditor if she cannot find satisfactory financing. They will be able to repossess the car after becoming 30 days late. When this happens her credit will be RUINED for 1 to 2 years. Yes dealerships do let you leave and tell you they’ll try to get you that financing, but the contract that that girl SIGNED has a clause that states she may not get that financing. The appropriate thing to do is to leave the car there and avoid signing a buyers order until the financing is secured. ALSO avoid using the dealer for financing, they can legally add a few points to the APR that they then split with the bank. Get your own financing and write a check for the car.

71. Sonnymooks says:

Is this whole thing made up?

I don’t believe any of this is real, this seems way way to weird.

If this is real, and I can not believe I am going to say this, but I think (oh god, I think I just saw a pig fly) I am going to lean towards the car dealership.

72. NickRB says:

After seeing the rebuttal it looks like the mother didn’t fully understand what was going, on and the daughter overreacted and slandered the dealership. She should be ashamed of herself.

You are right to warn people to be warring of being spotted a car though. I know quite a few people that have had to return the car after they couldn’t be financed.

You also don’t become the 5th largest hyundai dealership and have high satisfaction scores if you’re scamming people.

73. Jhonka says:

If Brad Benson Hyundai of New Jersey is proud to run their dealership Brad Benson or one of his salesmen should have been trying to diffuse the situation at that very moment instead of acting so defensive.

Also. The original video posted on YouTube June 22, this video was from 3 days ago. Didn’t think anyone would notice Single Throw Inc. aka TimbreMedia Podcasting. Are you guys that desperate for clients??

74. Crazytree says:

BMW dealerships in SoCal are famous for this scam.

75. cde says:

Whats a little ping on the credit report for them checking if it gets me a free car rental over the weekend (Or when they call up on monday, tell them I’m in Montana and I’ll bring the car back first thing next week). 3500 miles in a week? HA! What suprises me is that some people are saying they get a call back in 3 weeks? Wow.

76. SOhp101 says:

I fifth this annoying trend. Post a transcript of what they’re saying in the video because listening is a lot slower than reading.

77. @Charles Duffy: But nothing like watching it actually go down.

78. Wow, I actually just realized something, he cut the audio of her voice. Wow, I’d have that as grounds for a lawsuit if I was her. He cut it to say “Buy a car here”. If you listen carefully, you’ll notice it yourself. I also note the difference in quality of the first video and the second…

79. clodia says:

I agree, there need to be more transcripts with youtube videos, even if it has to be another link.

As for the comparisons of the videos – I’ve used the same tactic as the woman, just repeat that I’m not interested until I’m able to leave.

The dealership sounds reasonable, and they have what sounds to be a very good rebuttal, except that it was clearly shot later and they were deceptive about this. This, more than either person’s words, makes me side with the customer.

80. boughy says:

This lady failed to make any point in why the car was being returned in this video and you can’t just drop it off like that. She provided no evidence to a scam, did not allow the dealer to inspect the returned car, and did not attempt to resolve the dispute. If I were the dealer I would treat that car as an abandoned vehicle, have it towed at the owners expense, and call it a day. Until she came in and tried to work with the manager I see that she has no point. And we have no idea what her older mother really agreed to. I hate to do it but until I see proof I side with the dealership.

81. lizzybee says:

@mrjimbo19: We saw her mother’s face just outside the dealership.

82. silenuswise says:

Maybe I’m just still going through Sopranos withdrawal, but after seeing the long fingernails and hearing that tough Jersey accent, did anyone else think Janice Soprano? Especially with the “unhappy mother” comment. All that was missing was the “unhappy brother” making a guest appearance, along with Paulie Walnuts or Furio. “You’ve gotta’ the bee ona’ you hat.”

Sigh.

83. Ramu says:

Why do half of the commenters on here remind me of alzheimer’s patients in a nursing home… in New Jersey… and not the nice parts?

84. jwcone says:

My father had a similar incident in the state of oregon. He drove off with a new truck and thought everything was good but the banks were closed and they said they had to give him a different rate. So basically he brought the truck back and said no thanks — they ho hummed around and finally my dad was willing to renegotiate on the truck. However after driving it a few hundred miles he told them he would have to renegotiate the price since now since he had driven it away and then brought it back and the terms of their initial contract are now void the situation now stands that they are dealing with a “USED” truck — so he had them look up what a used truck of that year and model were and went from there. They didn’t like that at all but they were stuck — they had a used truck now and had a choice to sell it to my dad at the used price or lose money to somone else and run the risk of them paying more money on it til it was sold in the terms of their cost on it. So if this does happen — just bring it back and renegotiate it as a USED car and save yourself even more.

85. micahd says:

I’m surprised there’s been no mention of how stupid it is to finance a car anyway. Why pay more for something over time because you can’t afford it RIGHT NOW. It’s called savings people and cash, remember that?

Oh, and I’d never buy a Hyundai (or a Kia) anyway the cars are crap no matter where you buy them.

86. Keter says:

Technique for buying a new car:

1. Pick the exact make and model of car you want.

2. Call around first anonymously (such as calling from work on your lunch hour), and get prices. Tell them you are calling everybody, and the best deal wins. Write down the prices you are given, and note any difference in packages.

3. Pick the dealership you think you want to do business with based on the results of this phone call. Price should not be the decider — demeanor and gut feel should be.

4. Go to the dealership you absolutely NEVER want to do business with. Nail down the details on the options — go for “loaded,” then whittle it down to find the approximate prices for each option. Make a detailed list with prices. Mark the options you must have and those can do without.

5. Do your research online and compare your pricing research with others and experts. Set an “ideal price” and an “I can live with it” price for the car you want with all the options you want, and again for the car you want with the minimum options you want. You now have a low and high figure for the car.

6. Go get cash or a a pre-approved car loan for something less than the upper amount. Put the cash or check in a blank sealed envelope. Find out ahead of time how to deal with the pre-approved loan if the negotiated amount is less than the amount on the bank check. You do not want to have to leave the dealership to get a new check for a smaller amount, so try to arrange something in advance for this contingency.

7. Call your insurance carrier and tell them you are buying a new car. Do as much of the paperwork ahead of time as possible and determine the hours they can service you so you can avoid delays or surprises at delivery time. (Any delays benefit the dealer.)

8. Go to the dealer you want to deal with — on a weekday, in the morning. Get dropped off or, ideally, have a friend or significant other go with you. (It always helps to have a witness.) Bring a sack lunch and drinks with you. You’re not leaving or letting your attention wander until you have a car.

9. Find the exact car you want. Use your list…this shows you’ve done your homework. Don’t be surprised if your salesman suddenly has to handle an emergency and hands you off to someone else. This is a good sign that you have the upper hand already.

10. Show them the envelope. Tell them you have cash/a pre-approved loan check, and three chances to get it from you if you can drive out by an exact time (by 3 PM is usually good), all paperwork done, taxes paid, and every other fee under the sun taken care of for less than the amount in the envelope. Do not give any hints about the amount, make them name heir price. If it’s way out of sight, don’t say anything. Just laugh and head for the door. They’ll chase you down and give you a much better number. If they don’t, go elsewhere.

11. Read everything. Twice. Have your friend do the same. Line out anything you don’t agree to or doesn’t apply, initial and date this and have the dealer rep do the same. Do not leave any blank spaces. Count the papers and make sure you get copies of all of them. Ask if there are any programs you need to opt out of to avoid being automatically signed up for them. Do whatever is required to opt out.

11. If at any time they give you attitude or BS, walk out. They will chase you down. Tell them they have only one chance left because they gave you attitude. Now they will deal. If they don’t go elsewhere.

10. Go to another city if your city is full of slime balls.

Good luck. I don’t buy new, but I helped friends buy using this technique, and it really works…but it works only if you truly are willing to walk away…and then refuse to bend when they try to put you off or change the terms. Stay civil, do not let any emotion in. You are on a mission, Marine!

The same technique works for buying a used car, but tell them that you will not talk price until YOUR mechanic looks over the vehicle and gives you a report on it. Watch how much the squirm. I also learned the basics of car inspection, and perform my own pre-inspections right there on the lot — 90% of used cars have a defect so serious they don’t pass 5 minutes of my inspection! The best one (if any) goes to the mechanic.

Have the mechanic lined up for the time you will be needing the car checked out. I prefer to have my mechanic pick up the car from the dealer directly. The mechanic should be one you have had good experiences with previously. NEVER use a mechanic who is near the dealership. I tell my mechanic “check this car like you would if your 16 year old daughter was going to have to drive it to Alaska and back — alone.”

Go back to the dealer with a list of all defects and an estimate to fix them. Negotiate a price adjustment. In some cases, you may agree to let the dealer do the repairs, BUT specifically put in writing that these repairs will be accepted only after a re-inspection by your mechanic and no crappy used or after-market parts will be used.

Figure on devoting at least a month and looking at 200+ cars to find a good used car.

I’ve bought three truly excellent used cars this way — all for less than $5000 — all required minor repairs prior to delivery, and all lasted more than 100K miles with minimal repair costs afterward.

87. StevieD says:

I am not a big fan of videos. First of all I am at work and have external speakers which means my “private” sound can be heard outside of my office (which means that I keep the sound down low so that I can watch my favorite TV programs and adult videos at work). Secondly, I can read at a very nice clip so text is a huge advantage.

BUT… video can capture nuiances that a transcript will never capture.

In this case I must defend the actions of the salesdude, and I hate defending sales dudes, especially car selling sales dudes. A transcript would have only revealed that the daughter had spoken, while from the video it is apparent that the daughter is quite rude and disresptful of others, while the salesdude kept his composure and handled a difficult situation in the most professional manner. Most importantly she failed to allow the salesdude to speak or even gain his consent to videotape the meeting. His offer of going to his desk to discuss the situation was not an allowance for her to continue the taping. The purpose or reason for the car being returned was not offered by the daugther, nor was ever discussed between the dealer and the daughter. The condition of the was based upon a statement of the daughter and never verified by the dealer in the presence of the daughter or mother. And the daughter’s statements as she departed the dealership sales floor were completely inappropriate and may even be cause for legal action against her.

All in all a typical anti-business story from the vantage point of a family of repo’d cars and bankruptcies. Not a lot of credibility from the daughter or her mom and aunt.

88. Namrepus says:

Did anyone else notice that the Eurythmics “Would I Lie To You?” was playing in the dealership when the video was shot?

89. klblamble says:

I’ve been scammed by this type of thing in Omaha, NE. The dealership quoted me one price, an APR, monthly rate, and terms that I thought were very reasonable. Of course the banks were ‘closed’ and they couldn’t do the official paperwork, so take the car home and we’ll get the information for you to sign right away.. BIG mistake. Not only did they TRIPLE the APR but they extended the length of the loan from 48 months to 72 months – for the SAME PAYMENT I HAD AGREED ON THE DAY BEFORE!! So they raised the price of the vehicle, the interest, and the length of the loan in less than 24 hours! Then because I took the car home – they called it a breach of contract on my part!! Good thing I have a friend who’s a lawyer who would have buried them!

From now on, it’s only Saturn for me – always up front and honest!

90. FishingCrue says:

Why do people think you need their permission to film them? If they don’t like you filming them and they are on their private property they can ask you to leave and then have you removed. I don’t understand why many think that there is some constitutional right to not be video taped.

91. joemono says:

How can people side with the salesman when he clearly tried to rewrite history? He made it appear as though he sat down to talk with the woman after she filmed her video. That footage was shot at another time (notice the keys disappear when the manager sits down to “talk”). I don’t believe that a woman who barely let the first guy get a word in edge-wise would sit silently listening to Brad Benson talk. PLUS HE EDITED THE WOMAN’S WORDS TO MAKE HER SAY “BUY A CAR HERE!” INSTEAD OF “DON’T BUY A CAR HERE.” Even if what he is saying about the credit issues is true, the way he made this shady video makes me not believe anything he has to say.

Its crazy how many people are not aware of how shady his “rebuttal” truly is. Reading these comments is like being in the Twilight Zone!

92. superbmtsub says:

When you’ve been scammed and you’re face-to-face with the scammer, DO NOT give that person a chance to speak. They will try to make you fall into another scam by trying to bring around a ring of truthiness (thank you Colbert) to their actions. It’s true!

93. fishiftstick says:

For all those who doubt the woman’s story, consider this.

1. The dealer agrees that he gave the car to the customer on the basis of an assumed credit rating. The dealer also says he knew the customer had multiple repos, but let her take the car because she promised to bring in a cosigner the next day.

2. Assume that story is true, and not just an attempt to smear the accuser. There’s a pretty good chance that a multiple defaulter’s promised cosigner won’t show. If so, and you let this customer take the car, there’s a pretty good chance you’ll have to repo this car too. So there’s a very good chance that you will end up with a repo’d car–i.e. a used car that has lost 1/3 of its value.

3. Would you make this deal? Didn’t think so. Car dealers also aren’t naive about credit risks.

4. Why do this deal, if you don’t intend a scam?

94. frexayork says:

This rebuttal video is a sole production of the dealership as an attempt 2 sav ther dignity. da first video da lady was not even letting da other guy talk. What coincidence dat she was so quiet n attentive 2 da owner. Mr. Yellow shirt is a terrible actor. he is reciting a speech memorized an hour before. What a coincidence that he points out so many details one after da other. wher r the keys this lady left on the desk inches away from the guys hands. why is the camera so steady and for the rest of the shot. when they get up, the music is not the same from Mr. Yellow shirts portion of da video and the lady’s video.

95. nichomiz says:

Stories like this are exactly why every consumer should go in with some basic education on the issue at hand, in this example, buying a car. I always find is best to assume that no one is looking out for my best interests in any deal except for me (which is almost always the case), and operating this way forces me to seek education on how it all works. I think the potential buyer would have been better served to learn a bit about how credit works, know how interest rates are tied to it , and also that yes, they do change with some regularity, sometimes even daily.

BTW, doesn’t anyone ever tie off with their banker ahead of a large purchase anymore. Since they are usually interested in a long term relationship with you (and your money), and can more often pre-approve one for a certain amount at a fixed rate, and give you a estimated time for how long that rate is good for.

96. firefoxx66 says:

I agree with many of the above – post a video, but please also post a
    transcript, or at least a description of the action in the video. (“The
    video shows a woman approaching a dealership employee..”, etc)
    Videos do often capture what words cannot, but there are times when you cannot watch a video or hear a video.
    In short – don’t use a video to tell your story, use the video to
    supplement your story – but make sure it makes sense without the video
    too.

97. @Buran: My reply to ncboxer was meant to be taken as sarcastic, I don’t actually think that deaf people should just get used to it.

Consumerist used to create transcripts of phone conversations. I don’t see why videos should be any different.

@joemono: You mean he expected people to think he was actually talking to the woman who made the first video? That’s not just shady, it’s stupid too! He’s sitting there telling the camera person why they’re returning the car and anyone that saw the first video isn’t going to believe that the lady is going to be silent while he’s being so condescending.

It also explains why he said, “Let’s go get your mother.” That didn’t make any sense when I watched it.

98. bufftbone says:

Did I hear him correctly and hear him say the car is being returned to her? This spot delivery thing is a joke. I went through something similar to this back 2005. They said that my credit is fine. I signed all the paperwork with specific numbers in bold printed on it. The jerks called me a few days later and said that it wasn’t good enough and I needed more money for down payment or a cosigner. I live in Illinois and here, state law says that if they do that, I am entitled for a full refund of my deposit and my trade in returned to me. They fought me. I filed complaints with the BBB and the State. After 2 months, the owners secretary admited to me that I, and I quote her, “Had them by the balls.” They finally gave in and gave me my refund.

It’s nice to see others out there protecting themselves (or her mother in this case) from scum like these guys.

The dealership that gave me a hard time? Rizza Chevy located in Bridgeview, IL. The whole Rizza chain are a bunch of crooks.

99. jeffjohnvol says:

100. schmo says:

Brad Benson made a horrific mistake making his “rebuttal” video.

The first video told me nothing at all, except that somebody was returning a car.

The secon video told me that Brad Benson is willing to publicly disclose information about somebody’s credit report and post it to YouTube. That can’t be legal.

Brad Benson did far more damage to himself than that lady ever could have done.

101. schmo says:

JEFFJOHNVOL wrote: The dealership’s response seemed reasonable. Why would someone who has had 3 reprosessions and another that has had a bankruptcy get great credit. Jeez.

Why would the dealership disclose this information publicly?

If you believe this is a reasonable response, then we live in very different worlds. I don’t believe that public disclosure of a person’s credit record is an appropriate response to a pointless, shaky video.

102. joe6486 says:

Didn’t anyone hear the rebuttal?

Looks to me like the scam is on the part of the “customer”, and the vendor didn’t do anything wrong at all. The “customer” lied and bs’d the salesman to get a favorable deal, and when they caught on and cancelled it, she whined.

Total BS, Consumerist has sunk to a new low.

103. Wisecracker says:

Consumers put their trust in dealerships for credit checks. That is confidential information. For a HONEST BUSINESSMAN to put that kind of video up is disgraceful conduct on his part. Mr. Benson, you cross the line and it will hurt you. Consumers “BEWARE OF BRAD BENSON HYUNDAI DEALERSHIP” Check his BBB record & watch his video Brad Benson Rebuttal Video Don’t buy a car there..he might put your credit information up on You Tube. Lady you did good. What planet are some of you people living on? Contact a lawyer.
    Sue Brad Benson! In all honesty as a consumer would you buy a car from this man?

104. technogirl says:

Am I wrong or did Mr. Brad Benson just violate consumer PRIVACY by EXPOSING THE MOTHER’S CONFIDENTIAL CREDIT HISTORY of bankruptcy and repossession all over the web. Aren’t there laws protecting what sort of information a company may release once it has consumer consent to check a credit rating and TO WHOM ??

Perhaps Brad may want to rethink the car deal before his customer reads this comment and goes to court.

I;m just sayin’….

105. oldhat says:

@speedwell: Then make a transcript, you whiny lazy bastards. The web is interactive, you know. Contribute something!

106. udidnotripmeoff says:

Power to the CONSUMERS!!! We have the upper hand now. It’s about time! Thanks to video cameras and internet. There are two important expensive purchases consumers make…A house & a car. I watched the rebuttal of Brad Benson. All he did was try to save his dignity. He threw this video out there and it will bite him in the butt. For him to reveal a consumers credit information is unprofessional & down right dirty. I hope his business suffers! He will deserve it. YAY to the lady. Clap, Clap!

107. udidnotripmeoff says:

@technogirl: Not only did he reveal the mom’s confidential credit history…the Aunts too. I hope the lady sues this man. Doesn’t matter whether her credit is bad. That is confidential information. The nerve of this man!

108. Ben Popken says:

Colin writes:

“I sold cars for a very brief period. I walked off the lot when the dealership I worked for (Gary Barbera’s Chrysler in Philadelphia) did this to a young woman buying her first car. It’s imperative that your readers with less-than wonderful credit understand not to accept a car from a dealer until they have a signed finance agreement with a specific bank/financial institution.

Scams like this are more common than people think. The goal isn’t just to get you emotionally attached, the dealership usually gives you enough time (2 days or so) to drive the car to work, show it off to your friends, etc. so that you’ll be too embarassed to return it. Instead, you will borrow from wherever you can in order to come up with the extra down payment needed to secure the loan.

Some folks in the comments were blaming the woman with the crap credit, but the finance and sales managers at the dealerships are the most convincing people in the world when they pull this routine.”

109. udidnotripmeoff says:

@Ben Popken: You are absolutely correct. I’ve seen this scam in action myself. The sales and finance managers are very convincing people. My point to this whole situation is the consumers private credit information being thrown out there. Don’t dealerships have to abide by the consumers privacy act law? Aren’t car dealers somewhat in the category as financial institution? This is very interesting!

110. udidnotripmeoff says:

This dealership opened this up to the public as judge and jury. When he got negative responses he closed the comments. He took it upon himself to open this up to the public and made himself look like a unqualified member of a professional dealership. His behavior is shocking. I have notice in his BBB record his favorite word is untrue. On the video of ABC television show I Caught his statement is “absolutely as long as their facts are correct”. Benson, says the lady’s facts are untrue. According to Benson most consumers statements are untrue. Benson put himself on the SPOT! He didn’t think the public would notice he edit her video. Terrible editing job by the way!!! When I first saw the lady’s video the comments were not open to the public. She open the comments after he put up his rebuttal. He publicly disclose private credit information and took it upon himself to post it on the web. Benson has shown his unprofessionalism as a business man.

111. udidnotripmeoff says:

@Jesus On A Pogo Stick: EXTRA, EXTRA read all about i!!! LMAO!!! no wonder why the lady in the video didn’t let this guy talk. Oct 11, 07 employee of Brad Benson got arrested at the dealership. Charged with identity theft and credit card fraud. Geez, nice reputable dealership. He reveals consumers private credit info on his video and now an employee steals from another consumer. Excellent dealership creditability . See it on NJ.com.

112. njhntr2 says:

Iam 64 year American and always believed in trust and doing deals with a handshake, Benson has changed me completly as I bought two cars in two years from him and was promised Giant tickets and after many e mails and went to dealership was told no such thing in writing.
    Oh well I learned another lesson after 63 years TRUST NOBOBY