AT&T: If The Stylus On Your Phone Breaks, Your Warranty Is Void

Reader Rob has an AT&T 8525.

It came with two cheap plastic styluses, one of which broke while still in the phone.

Now Rob can’t get the stylus out of the phone. Other than that small inconvenience, the phone is fine.

He called AT&T for help and they told him his warranty was void, then laughed at him.

Rob writes:

I’ve got an AT&T 8525, and I’ve had it since about mid-June. It was a refurbished model, and the stylus end (the end that screws in) was a little wobbly, but very functional still. We’ve got a little problem with it now, though. That tip on the stylus (a cheap, $3 part) has broken off. The phone is fine, but the stylus is broken. That in itself isn’t a big deal, what sucks is that the stylus is still in the phone, and I have no way of retrieving it without opening the phone up and voiding the warranty. So, what am I to do?

I call AT&T to tell them the situation… and I’m promptly informed that the warranty on my phone is now void because of physical damage. What?! A $3 part that’s shipped with the phone breaks, and now the phone’s warranty is void. That’s what I’m to understand. I try, repeatedly, to tell the Agent I’m speaking with that the phone itself is undamaged, that it’s just the stylus, and I’m only calling them so I don’t have to open the phone and void my own warranty. I am informed, over and over again, that it doesn’t matter. I’ve abused the device, it is now out of warranty. I ask for the call to be escalated, and I’m sent to their Escalation Center.

I speak with Amy Hodges from Escalations. She informs me of the same situation as the previous person does, since before I speak to her the previous tech gives her their version of what’s wrong with my phone. I try, in vain, to explain that I just want my stylus out of my phone. I explain that I don’t need a new phone, that I just want the one I have to be 100% usable again, and all she’ll tell me is that I can have it exchanged if I pay for a new phone. I ask her, “So, you’re telling me that since the cheap, defective stylus you shipped me broke, my phone’s out of warranty forever and I will have to buy a new one if I ever want it fixed.” She says, while laughing, “Yes, that’s what I’m telling you, your phone is no longer under warranty.” I ask for her supervisor.

I speak to Josh Rosen, Supervisor for Advanced Data Devices. I try to start all over with him, figuring maybe something had just gotten lost in all the story telling from tech to tech. I tell him, “Ok. When I received my phone, I received three things: a phone, a stylus, and a battery. The phone and the battery are fine. The stylus, which I actually have two of, has broken.” I ask if he’s with me so far, and he doesn’t reply. I ask again, and wait for him to say, “Huh?” I say, “Good to know you’re listening. Anyway, on the stylus there are two tips. A rubber pointer tip, and a hard plastic lip tip. The hard plastic tip allows you to pull the stylus out of the phone. It has broken off. The stylus is inside of the phone. I am calling you so that I don’t have to open the phone up myself and void the warranty.” His response? “I’m sorry, your phone’s out of warranty because of physical damage.” At this point, I’m pretty sure he didn’t listen to a word I said. I go back and forth with him for about ten minutes, asking what my options are and basically pleading my case. His response? I need to contact HTC, and ask a friend if they have any old AT&T phones I can use in the mean time. I ask him if he’s joking, because he’s laughing as he’s telling me to do this. I ask him if he, as a consumer, would be satisfied with that answer… instead of answering me, he gives me the ol’ “I do apologize for your frustration, but your warranty is void. Is there anything else I can help you with?”. I ask for his supervisor, and I’m told that he’s as high as it goes. I ask him if that’s true, he says, “Yes, it’s true.” I don’t believe him, so I ask again. He says, “Well, no, it’s just for today.” I tell him I want his supervisor’s name, and I want it now. He gives it to me, but won’t give me a number to contact him at. His name, by the way, is Thomas Jackson, Head Supervisor for Advance Data Devices. I am informed that if I want to talk to him, I will have to work through the chain again… he gives me the 1.800 number. I inform him that I’m not a satisfied customer, he thanks me for choosing Cingular Wireless (you’d think they’d have that trained out by now) and tells me to have a nice night.

So, that’s where I’m at. I’ll be calling HTC later on this afternoon (assuming they’re open) and try and get this figured out. Just figured I’d let you guys know that if you break the stylus of a PDA/smartphone from AT&T, your warranty is completely void.
Thanks!

Rob

Rob, it’s time for an EECB! Your warranty should not be voided over a broken stylus. We think that’s why they give you two of them. They break!

Comments

1. Buran says:

You need to learn about the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Your warranty CANNOT be voided for problems that are unrelated to this problem.

2. qwickone says:

@Buran: unrelated to what problem?

3. hc5duke says:

Best Buy (back when I was still a customer) protection plan guys tried the same shit on my with my Treo600 because a couple rubber slips were missing (the kind that cover the screws… wow that sounds dirty). People lose these things the first week they get it, and they know it. Thankfully, a Sprint store rep replaced it for $30 “service charge”, even though I didn’t have their warranty

4. Buran says:

@qwickone: … I’ve heard of people not reading the article, but not reading the blurb that’s right there on the page?

5. consumerist11211 says:

I have the 8525. Due to some error on Cingular’s part (now the new AT&T – yawn) they didnt have my phone registered properly in their system and was showing I had some motorola.

Had problems with the touch screen and was told since I didnt have the phone registered with them properly that I essentially didnt actually have the phone, even though I bought it from cingular. Essentially I was told because cingular does not show that I have the phone that they could not authorize an exchange.

After being sent to supervisor upon surpervisor I actually finally threatened to report the problem to the Consumerist and lo and behold suddenly they COULD exchange it (even though their own records showed I bought the phone from them). Within 2 days the phone arrived and I sent back the defective phone.

My guess is now that your story has made it online that you wont have a problem making a proper exchange…

6. godai says:

Looking at my stylus and phone this is how I would first attempt to fix the problem.

I’d get a small metal rod Maybe twice the diameter of pencil lead/0.5 the diameter of the stylus.

I’d them put a small dab of super glue on the end. REALLY small dab, and probably a gel version so there isn’t much spreading.

I’d then slide the metal rod in as close to on center as possible, not touching the sides.

And hold it against the broken stylus. letting it set. then try pulling it out.

The other option would be to use a really really small drill bit on a hand drill (not a power tool) and drill into the stylus slightly then pull it out. Of course that assumes you can get access to a small enough bit and hand drill.

7. maevro says:

If your warranty is void, then just take the phone apart. I have used the HTC Kaiser and you should wait for that anyway.

Did you try to stick something into the hole and use crazy glue to get it out? I know someone who did that and it worked.

Glad that on my Ubiquio 503g that if you remove the battery cover, you see the stylus so this couldn’t happen.

Again, this is why I don’t buy my phone from AT&T and only from other sources. Speaking of that, the CSR said Cingular and not AT&T….

8. hc5duke says:

@Buran: Geez, no need to get pissy now. I think he was confused about the ambiguous pronoun (or adjective I guess) “this”. I don’t understand what you meant by

either.

9. Buran says:

@hc5duke: “this problem” would naturally refer to the one being brought up in the blurb.

10. MickeyMoo says:

Wow ! I called T-Mobile a week before my contract was up to complain about a wonky button on my SDA – and without so much as a prompt from me – they offered to replace the phone for only the shipping charge. iPhone or no iPhone – I will never do business with AT&T unless i’ve no other choice (my landline)

Not sure I’d go the crazy glue/drill bit route though – I think I’d rather suck it up and send it to HTC for repair

11. hc5duke says:

@Buran: Ok, I’m guessing “this problem” is about the stylus, but in that case, the reason for our confusion is because you said “unrelated to this problem”, as opposed to “related to this problem”.

12. v12spd says:

This happened to me on my Verizon XV6700, they gave me the run around about how it must have been abused or mishandled to end up that way and I would have to live with it. Though they didn’t void my warranty (they later took the phone back for a free replacement for unrelated issues), they still refused to repair or fix it at any store I went to.

I fashioned a small length of masking tape resembling the piece of stylus I still had, with the sticky side out. Then just slid that into the stylus holder a few times and gently pulled out and voila, no more stuck stylus! Good luck with that, I know how frustrating it can be.

13. Buran says:

@hc5duke: That’s exactly what I said. You can void a warranty for problems related to system X if the owner does something that breaks system X. You cannot void the warranty for system Y.

AT&T is trying to illegally void all warranty for all aspects of the warrantied good.

You didn’t research the law before replying, did you? If you had read the law the statement is perfectly correct.

14. Cowboys_fan says:

It seems the problem here is that a broken part, no matter how miniscule, is a broken part, thus qualifies as physical damage. The problem over the phone is the CSR’s know that, so no matter how much they want to help, ultimately they do not create the charge, and that is the warehouse people who ship/receive the phones. Be glad they didn’t replace it for you to find out later you are charged. Maybe I am wrong, but that is how it worked for t-mobile. You may be better off emailing or writing them, as those reps may have more power.

15. fuzzycuffs says:

Man, this scares me. I’ve been waiting for the Kaiser to come out so I can switch to AT&T… but I might just go with Sprint and the Mogul (being much cheaper for the device and plan).

But the Kaiser has GPS and GPS is so hot… :(

16. Consumertaz says:

@Buran:

Buran, your comment was ambiguous. You didnt specify that there was a distinction between the two ‘systems’. Most people, myself included assumed it was all one ‘system’.. the phone.

therefore a problem with the phone, is a problem with the phone there is no second problem that would not void the warranty.

Now stop expecting people to read your addled mind.

17. dialing_wand says:

Keep calling until they have spent so much money telling you they can’t fix it, they’ll realise they have to.

18. MeOhMy says:

Perhaps needle-nosed pliers? Also, I think that if you remove the battery, there are two small holes that go through into the stylus chimney. Maybe you could go that way and push the stylus out with a paperclip.

Dealing with the annoyance aside, do you find yourself using the stylus very much? I can’t remember the last time I actually used it on mine.

19. rjhiggins says:

@Buran: Clearly, nobody understood what you meant by your ambiguous posting. Stop being pissy; it was badly worded.

20. MeOhMy says:

@fuzzycuffs:

But the Kaiser has GPS and GPS is so hot…

I don’t know why, but this comment made me think of how after WWI we had to say ‘dickety’ ’cause the Kaiser had stolen our word for ‘twenty.’

21. Antediluvian says:

Wow, Buran — I’m sorry but normally I like your comments and respect your insight and opinion, but it just seems like you’ve gone off today.

I completely agree w/ the posters who said your comment was ambiguous. I think I got the gist of it, but I’m honestly not sure. Then you bring up “System X” and “System Y” and snap at another commenter.

I do think your responses to the people who did express confusion was unnecessarily harsh and tarnishes your record.

22. joeblevins says:

Troy F. you are saying, that you used to use the word ‘Kaiser’ and stopped at the end of WWI?

Wow. I thought I was the oldest person here.

23. godai says:

@Troy:

Just checked mine, there are no holes there.

24. camille_javal says:

oh, fuck it. I avoid grammar crap on the internets, but I’m in a bad mood, so here goes.

The original sentence read: “Your warranty CANNOT be voided for problems that are unrelated to this problem.”

The ambiguity comes from the phrase, “this problem.” “This problem,” judging by the article, seems as though it would refer to the broken stylus; however, convert the negatives in the sentence to positives, and you get this, “Your warranty can be voided for problems related to this problem,” which does not seem to be what you mean. If “this problem” was meant to refer to the phone hardware, irrespective of the stylus, that would make sense, but the pronoun phrase choice would be questionable.

I have a graduate degree in English and I’m in law school (why I try to avoid most internet-grammarian and internet-attorney conversations), so, erm, there.

(I like your comments, too, and being sniped at by several commenters when one’s referential pronouns is ambiguous, when the meaning could be inferred, is annoying. I am, however, in a bad mood, and the internet suffers for it.)

25. qwickone says:

@Buran: Man, I didnt think my first comment would cause such a problem. So to clarify, I DID read the article, but the original comment is unclear. The sentence didn’t appear to make sense because I couldnt figure out what you were referring to and it sounds like it’s true for others. Can’t you just admit your sentence was unclear?? When you explained using System X and Y, that cleared it up for me, but the first comment didn’t really make sense.

26. Flybynite says:

The issue here would be the way in which the stylus broke or was damaged.

Should the damage be to the stylus alone, the phone’s warranty would be intact. The stylus would simply require replacement (or not since he received two originally).

Unfortunately there is no way for someone to determine where or how extensive the damage is to the device. Since it has become stuck IN the actual handset.

Option: If Rob lives near a “Device Support Center” (read: a local, face to face AT&T warranty exchange center) he can go there and seek some real world help with determining his options. But no guarantee that the outcome would be different.

27. Antediluvian says:

@joeblevins:

[3F19] “The Curse of the Flying Hellfish”
    [www.snpp.com]
    Abe: Now, my story begins in 19-dickety-two. We had to say “dickety” ’cause that Kaiser had stolen our word “twenty”. I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles…

Best used while wearing an onion tied to your belt.

28. MeOhMy says:

@joeblevins: I learned it from an old guy named Abe Simpson. The kaiser stole our word for ‘twenty’ so we used ‘dickety.’ Abe told me he chased the rascal to get it back but gave up after dickety-six miles. I think a crack team of commandos retrieved it in a covert operation in March 1933, hidden in the very same turmoil that also allowed Hitler to seize power, but I didn’t learn that from Abe Simpson, so it might not be true.

29. Antediluvian says:

Oh, and this whole story is why I’m very pleased that Apple is doing all the warranty work for the iPhone.

30. Buran says:

@Consumertaz: My comment was not ambiguous. The Act is not specific to cell phones. And please don’t fling insults when a little bit of thinking would yield the fact that it was a generic informative comment about the law in question, and that most things that carry warranties contain more than one part, subassembly, subsystem, or function.

You could just ask instead of being insulting.

But apparently that’s not allowed on teh intarwebz.

31. ivealwaysgotmail10 says:

The HTC Mogule Has an Integrated GPS, It may not be active yet as sprint may still be developing the GPS software for WM6 But, I had one and it had ntegrated GPS, Rev A, BLUETOOTH 2.0 and the easiest phone as modem setup ive ever used in my life

32. sroemerm says:

If he somehow managed to get the stylus out of his phone, would the phone go back under warranty?

33. yg17 says:

OK, here’s another example of the act applied to a car warranty. A car is more complex and has more bits to work with, so here goes:

Lets say you have a car, and you do all sorts of engine modifications to it. You slap on a turbo, put in a high performance clutch, put on racing brakes, a louder fart can exhaust, the works. There’s not going to be much left on your drivetrain that’s covered under warranty, because you’ve modded it. If something under your hood breaks, it’s very well likely because of your mods and your dealer has plenty of solid ground to stand on when telling you to pay up or tow your car back home. But, if your power window motor breaks, and you haven’t touched anything with the windows as far as mods go, the dealer cannot legally void your warranty for the window and they must fix it.

When applied to this, AT&T can say the warranty on the stylus is void (not like they have any sort of warranty anyways) due to user abuse, but they can’t say the entire phone is void

34. not_seth_brundle says:

@Buran: “You could just ask instead of being insulting.”

Qwickone just asked, and you responded by insulting.

35. royal72 says:

here’s what you do…
    (a) go buy yourself a used american pickup. you know the old school ones that could take a beating, haul three tons, with the steel bumpers. oh yeah, make sure it’s black.
    (b) spray paint on all four sides, “customer service enforcer”, as well as some skull and cross bones.
    (c) go to the att store, get the manager, and politely ask for your phone to be fixed as is appropriate.
    (d) if anything comes out of their mouth besides, “we’ll take care of that right away for you sir”…
    (e) you drive that truck with all it’s bonafide “made in america” strength and glory, right through the god damned store.

granted this may land you in jail and not everyone will agree with your methods, but you will feel much better. finally, if you have escaped the law or have not performed step (e) yet, you may consider moving right to…
    (f) find the corporate headquarters, time your lobby plowing drive through appropriately, and take out as many of those greedy executive cunt pumps as you can. extra points are given for anyone with a three letter title after their name. good luck!

36. Flybynite says:

@sroemerm: It would be under warranty as long as the stylus becoming lodged into the device (and the following extraction) did not cause any physical damage to the handset itself.

Scratches would not be considered damage, for example.

The logic is that if inserted improperly you can damage your handset. Such as someone forcing a charger into the handset upside-down and not being able to remove it. Then removing it through brute-force, damaging the device. This is a common scenario in “something went in but will not come out” category.

37. hc5duke says:

@Buran: exactly what not_seth_brundle said, he was asking a question (as was I), and you responded with basically a “gee you’re a dumbass for asking such a question and I’m going to insult you instead”

38. Uriel says:

@Buran:

Could you please clarify by posting the specifics of the act to which you are referring? Thank you.

39. Gopher bond says:

I’m not going to be unable to not disagree, Buran sucks at teh communications.

40. Crazytree says:

@Buran: I’m an attorney who has litigation experience with Magnuson-Moss and I have no idea what you’re talking about.

If you have any case law to back up your assertion, I’d love to read it and educate myself.

41. Buran says:

@testsicles: And people who complain at me when they don’t bother to read about what I’m talking about before replying are any better?

But I’m through with this argument. I’m not wasting any more time on it, because I think it’s all rather pointless.

I’ve said my piece on how AT&T is wrong. That’s it. Let’s all move on.

42. Buran says:

@Nero Diavolo: Since I’m sick of this argument (and I do extend an apology to anyone who I misread… had too many run-ins with genuine “I won’t be bothered” types of late, so there you go… sigh) I’ll just suggest that you see what you can find out there on car enthusiasts who find that dealerships deny warranty claims for, say, a problem with a car’s oxygen sensor because the owner has installed aftermarket springs.

The parallel here is that AT&T now will not cover ANY problem at ALL with this phone under warranty even though the only thing wrong with it is that there’s part of a stylus stuck in the stylus holder.

In other words, they’re wrong to deny warranty coverage for the radio, screen, etc. because those have nothing to do with the stylus being broken.

43. Gopher bond says:

I didn’t complain at you. I agreed with the overwhelming majority of commenters that thought you could have explained yourself in a clearer manner. I wouldn’t have said anything at all save for your snippy attitude and entirely incorrect belief that you were clear.

44. I think I understand what provision Buran is pointing out here:

“if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts.”

45. Trai_Dep says:

Styluses. Sigh.

See, none of this would have happened if you bought an iPhone. :D

46. jeffeb3 says:

I have an 8525 that broke after a year of ovnership, and when I say “it broke” What I mean is I was working on my car and I cracked the screen (no I was not trying to use it as a hammer, I think I sat on a rock with it in my pocket). I talked to the HTC rep that was peddling his phones in an att store, and he _gave_ me his display phone, I had some nifty freeware set up on my HTC that he wanted, so I showed him how to install it, and he gave me a new phone. Now I bought a rugged huge case on ebay for it. It’s nice.

47. ju-ju-eyeball says:

AT&T does not warranty a part on your phone that broke through poor quality/workmanship? How cheap!

48. Jordan Lund says:

I had a similar problem with Nintendo a few years back, let’s see if I can find the Usenet post…

Wow, almost exactly 6 years ago…

So here’s my first experience with Nintendo’s warranty system:

Earlier this month I had been playing Bomberman in the wee hours, got tired, turned off the GBA and put it on a wire rack with some other gaming equipment. The next few days were kind of warm, really sticky warm, I didn’t feel like playing games so I didn’t get the GBA urge for a while. The day Advance Wars came out I popped by the store after work, picked up the game and came home to try it out.

As soon as I pick up the GBA I see a big, black “D” shape in the center of the screen, just off to the left a bit. It’s about 2 inches tall and an inch wide. “Oh, crap!” Well, I put in the game and power it on to see what would happen, the game looks fine on the inch or so to the left of the “D”, but on the right it’s hopelessly scrambled.

The next morning I call Nintendo’s warranty service and speak to David. I explain the issue and he states that Nintendo can’t help me because it’s obvious I broke the screen. “Excuse me?” He goes on further to say that because the pixels are black with the power off it’s the type of problem that can only be caused by an impact on the screen and impacts on the screen aren’t covered under warranty.

Now the problem isn’t that I’ve been playing games for 20 years and have never broken a machine, it’s that I’m an A+ certified computer hardware technician. I’ve seen more broken LCD’s than I can think of, this didn’t look at all like a broken LCD. It looked like a whole bunch of pixels revolted and turned black all at once. If you press on a broken LCD in most cases fluid will ooze out and the screen will discolor around the crack. That doesn’t happen with this unit because there was no crack for the fluid to ooze out of.

(My personal theory is that the liquid expanded due to heat and caused an internal rupture. In other words, a defect in mfg. Ergo a warranty repair.)

David doesn’t want to hear it, so I ask him for the name of a local shop that does Nintendo authorized repairs. He directs me to Sharper Video in Portland, OR.

Here I get the runaround, AGAIN, from ANOTHER guy named David. (I swear I’m not making this up.) He tells me that they can’t do anything because it’s an impact fracture. So I go through the story again, show him how to identify an impact fracture. I even make him a deal. Open the case, examine the LCD, if there’s any physical damage I’ll pay to repair the unit. If there is none then I want Nintendo to take care of it under warranty. David tells me “We can’t do that.” Why not? Well, apparently their deal with Nintendo is that they don’t actually repair anything. They just send the
    units directly to Nintendo.

So I call Nintendo again, speak to the same David AGAIN, I tell him look… The warranty is for defects in manufacturing, in order to prove a
    defect in manufacturing the case must be opened. The authorized repair center they sent me to apparently isn’t authorized to do any repairs. I tell him the same thing, if it’s a broken screen I’ll pay to have it fixed, but if it’s not they are legally bound to the warranty and I intend on holding their feet to the fire on it.

So David talks to his supervisor and gets an RMA for me to return the GBA at their expense using a special Fed Ex shipping code.

Today I get a replacement GBA back in the mail:

Repair total : 49.00
    Less Warranty : 49.00-
    Balance Due : .00

Enclosed was a photocopied sheet with a checkbox marked by hand:

“We have reviewed your description of the incident and conclude that evaluation of your components is necessary. Since the evaluation process can be lengthy, we have exchanged your components with product from our inventory and extended your limited warranty for an additional 90 days. We also cleaned or exchanged any games that were sent in with the system and checked them for proper operation.”

Now one thing I find interesting about this GBA… the cover on the screen is recessed slightly. I seem to recall that the screen cover was slightly bulbous on the original unit I had (bought on day one). Of course it might just be my imagination. The plastic cover on this unit is slightly lower than the glacier case though, fascinating. I wonder if there’s already been a hardware revision nobody is talking about?

49. maevro says:

I had my hands on a pre-production Kaiser. You should buy an unbranded one and not one from AT&T.

50. Scazza says:

Don’t know how it is in the states, but speaking from experience saying I now work for a carrier up here in canukistan, all I can say is AT&T are full of it. Infact, the warranty is technically held THROUGH the manufacturer, with AT&T acting as a middleman of sorts. They also cannot “VOID” your warranty without inspection of the device itself. So take it to your nearest AT&T store with your receipt and ask them to ship it to their repair center, pay the fees etc and they will ship you back a fixed one easily. Don’t deal with phone support ever.

51. Uriel says:

@Buran: “Since I’m sick of this argument (and I do extend an apology to anyone who I misread… had too many run-ins with genuine “I won’t be bothered” types of late, so there you go… sigh) I’ll just suggest that you see what you can find out there on car enthusiasts who find that dealerships deny warranty claims for, say, a problem with a car’s oxygen sensor because the owner has installed aftermarket springs.”

OK, you’re sick of the argument(whichever argument, or problem you refer to other than the stylus, we have yet to understand but…), fine and dandy, you don’t think that the phone’s warranty should be voided because the stylus is broken, so do the rest of us. NOW, what does this have to do with the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, can you please answer this? A self-proclaimed attorney cannot fathom what you mean. I mean, you know, I wouldn’t simply throw out the name of any old Bill or Act that sounded like it had some relevancy to a topic, then accuse like a hundred or so other people who called my bluff of not reading a fairly straight-forward article, and sound argumentative about it. You’re not doing that…are you…?

52. Trackback says:

• Retro Selectro: Card Callmaker Ad (1973) • Fun Level: Orange – Valve’s Orange Box is coming October 12th • If These Don’t Emit, You Must Acquit – Epson’s new PowerLite Home Cinema 1080 UB front-projector is have an MSRP of $2,700, making it the cheapest 1080p projector yet.

53. dalasv says:

Man, this Buran thread is way more interesting than the original post. Buran, if you find yourself frequently getting frustrated with people because they don’t understand your unclear statements, please take the time to discern what your communication problems are. If you do that (as opposed to thinking of snarky and condescending comebacks) you will be doing yourself a favor, because people will understand you immediately and you won’t feel frustrated by having to constantly clarify your thoughts.

Please consider following this advice instead of thinking of a way to insult me. I seriously think it will improve your life.

54. GrumpyMD says:

Is your iPhone warranty void if you break your finger then?

55. MrEvil says:

@Nero Diavolo: The Magnusson Moss Warranty act applies to ALL Consumer products, not just automobiles (however it is most commonly used in that context). However, I’m fairly certain a PDA stylus is considered an accessory and not an integral part of the PDA (based on the fact a stylus can be readily replaced if broken or worn out). I’d say the OP needs to call AT&T on their bullshit and inform them about the MMWA. I’d also suggest calling the FTC about it too.

56. xredgambit says:

@GrumpyMD:

vote for best post on this article.

besides all referances to dickety.

57. Buran says:

@hc5duke: I did try to explain several times with no joy … but I’m sorry anyway, okay?

58. Buran says:

@dalasv: I did try to clarify. Repeatedly… and then when I explained the most common application of the law, I *STILL* didn’t get through. I’m sorry if that wasn’t enough. Truly. What my life is like is not your concern, honestly, and doesn’t belong here. But if I can’t even cite the most common reason for the law at hand being invoked, giving plenty of search terms for people to learn about it, what else is there to do? I even explained how that paralleled to the problem at hand here and I was still accused of being unclear. I’m sorry, truly, if that wasn’t enough for everyone. I tried.

I had a bad day. That’s all.

59. Caroofikus says:

When I’m told that there is nobody above the person I’m speaking to, I like to ask “so you mean that there’s nobody in your entire company over you, not even the president or CEO?” “No, that’s not–” “Good, then let me talk to them.”

60. xl22k says:

@GrumpyMD

No, your iPhone warranty is only void if you break your finger andpart of it gets stuck inside your iPhone.