Swag Watch: August '07

In the interest of full disclosure, here are the companies that undermined your editor’s objectivity this month.

• Tanga.com sent Ben a free game, Simply Catan, after he privately hailed them in their quest to distribute obscure boardgames across the globe, but he hasn’t played it yet.
  • ABC gave Ben and Meghann a free car ride to and from their studios. There was a huge pile of toffee chews and Werther’s originals in the door. They were delicious.

Comments

1. cnc1019 says:

If that is in the same series as “settlers of Catan” then you got a pretty fun game right there.

2. Greeper says:

Ah, many a late night battling it out as Settlers of Catan. Good times.

3. ptkdude says:

You guys are such sellouts! I can’t believe all it takes to buy you off is some Werther’s Originals, which are usually buy one-get one free at CVS or Walgreens! ;-)

4. gorckat says:

If you don’t want that free game, I’d freely take it off your hands :P

Everything I’ve heard about Catan is that its awesome. So awesome Chuck Norris had to go back in time and make it himself so nothing was more awesome than him.

5. davebg5 says:

Um…I believe the word you are looking for is “swag”, which Dictionary.com defines as “plunder or booty”.

“Schwag”, on the other hand, is a bad batch of the whacky tobaccy.

6. Starfury says:

I’m a big boardgamer, Settlers of Catan has been in my collection and played regularly since 1995. There are lots of very well made, fairly short boardgames available. http://www.boardgamegeek.com is a good place to research games.

7. loreshdw says:

Careful about starting up a Catan habit… next thing you know, you’ll have to buy all the expansion sets. And then a few more, with the pieces hand painted new colors, so you can play with more than six people.

8. gibsonic says:

if that’s all the swag you’ve got…move over starving artist! Make way for the starving bloggers!

I’m sure you all do quite well actually…just sayin.

9. namenomore says:

According to Micahel Scott of Dunder Mifflin, SWAG is:

“Stuff We All Get”

10. Mojosan says:

Sellouts to The Man!

;)

(Hey, did you have any of those Werther’s Originals left? I like to keep them in my pocket for a month or two until they are nice and linty!)

11. Dorgon says:

Be careful all of you confusing Settlers of Catan with Simply Catan. Simply Catan is, to put it simply, a dumbed down version of the original.

Just look at the sales copy!

“Based on the international phenomenon The Settlers of Catan, Simply Catan by SimplyFun combines all the fun and strategy of the Catan game franchise, with the needs of today’s family. It is a family strategy game that is accessible to all ages, at any time.”

12. TPIRman says:

@davebg5: Nice catch. “Schwag” is actually a common spelling of the word (cf. this Wired article and No. 2 on this Urban Dictionary page), but “swag” seems to be the most widely accepted version. Apparently the origin of the term is a subject of much debate — the language experts from that last link think it might come from Yiddish.

13. acambras says:

@davebg5:

Congrats on successfully working the terms “booty” and “whacky tobaccy” into the same comment. ;-)

14. gibsonic says:

@davebg5:

when i first read your comment i thought it said “plunder of booty”. Now that would be some SWAG worth being under minded for.

oh the difference one letter makes!

15. Morgan says:

@Dorgon: I’m fairly certain it also contains the rules and cards necessary for the “advanced” (read: normal) game. It just also has a simple version, and has something to put the tiles in to keep them in place.
    (I almost bought this during the recent Tangathon in spite of the normal copy of Catan I already possess, just to see if their rules changes actually made the game work for two people like they claim.)

16. RandomHookup says:

You guys need to get higher up the swag food chain. I think the entry-level folks who enter the events into our online system get better swag than that.

17. Maulleigh says:

I don’t know if I can be bought for toffee chews. Definately Frango Mints. And Starbucks coffee. Starbucks could be killing children in New Orleans and I would somehow put a gentle spin on it.

18. hop says:

AND?????????????

19. ChaosMotor says:

“”Schwag”, on the other hand, is a bad batch of the whacky tobaccy.”

Not ‘bad’, as in off, expired, or rotten, but as in low cost and poor quality.

20. mattbrown says:

traitorous sell-outs. werther’s?! c’mon!