Got a little bit of yogurt and some milk and cream? Wish you just had more yogurt? Make some. Bacteria is so cool. [Instructables]

Comments

1. ekthesy says:

I learned to make yogurt from “Steal This Book.”

True story.

2. I was just drinking one of those stonyfield farms drinkable yogurts today and thinking to myself “this is yogurt, milk, and sugar. Why did I pay for this? Actually, why have I ever paid for fermented milk?”

… and now this. Someone read my mind.

3. venterminator says:

“steal this book” is good to go. I read it to. Stole it, actually.

4. capturedshadow says:

I have made it using a simpler process. Take a clean quart container. Add almost a quart of milk, then add a couple of spoons of yogurt and stir a bit. Close the container and leave it in a warm place overnight. That was in summer so no need to heat and I always started with a freshly opened milk container so I did not have to re-cook it. If you like a thicker yogurt you can do it with powdered milk, just add less water than usual.

5. mrestko says:

What a coincidence, I just made some creme fresh last night. Very similar process, you add two tablespoons of buttermilk to one cup of heavy cream and let it sit in a warm place for 6-9 hours. You get a delicious, slightly tart, thickened cream that you can use for all sorts of things. I use it in scrambled eggs, but I’d like to try some more recipes.

6. Chicago7 says:

NO! I wish I had more ICE CREAM!

7. The Dude says:

I think with all the oven warming and heating and cleaning, etc, this can’t possibly be cheaper than just buying it at the store, unless you make it in large bulk.

8. kaycee says:

I’ve been making yogurt for years, one or more gallons at a time.

It is cheaper to make it (cheaper than good-quality yogurt), but that’s not my reason. Homemade yogurt, like many other foods, is way, WAY better than what you can buy in stores. Otherwise, you’re right, it would be more trouble than it’s worth.

I do use powdered milk in mine to make it thicker (adding after the milk has been heated to 180 degrees), but heating the milk to this temp also helps with thickness. It changes the proteins in the milk or something like that. The yogurt needs to be cooled to about 120 degrees before adding the yogurt culture, or you’ll kill the beneficial bacteria.

I make mine in a picnic cooler – put the readied containers of milk/yogurt culture inside, fill with hot tap water (120 degrees) to the tops of containers, and let sit about 5 hours. The longer it cultures, the more tart it becomes (because more lactic acid is produced).

When it’s done, I make vanilla yogurt. For each quart of plain yogurt, I mix in 1 tsp. real vanilla extract and 1/4 cup real maple syrup. This is so delicious with chopped fruit, or sliced almonds or chopped pecans! It’s also delicious frozen in an ice cream maker – I add pureed fruit & extra sweetener.

The brand of yogurt you buy for the culture makes a big difference in how beneficial the finished yogurt is for you healthwise, and it even makes a difference in flavor. I like Brown Cow’s yogurt the best. It has four different kinds of beneficial bacteria, each of which inhabits a different part of your intestine and does something different for your health. But my homemade yogurt is still better than Brown Cow’s!