At Least Nine Cases Of Walmart Flipflops Burning Customers, Here's The Latest

I have the same EXACT condition that Kerry Stiles has, and Fox news did a story regarding the Sun and Sand flip flops last night filed by another lady here in Texas. I purchased the shoes at Walmart in July… I, unlike Kerry, wore the shoes a mere 2 hours.

A woman by the name of Ginger Edwards from Walmart headquarters in Bentonville called me initially back in July and wanted the shoes so they could test them and informed me that I was the 9th case reported, note that was in JULY. I emailed her pictures of my feet but I did not mail the shoes. I chose instead to use my better judgment and held on to the flip flops as EVERYONE at Walmart has given me the impression that they are completely apathetic to my problem. I or my son, visited Walmart daily after having complained IN PERSON after visiting the doctor the first time back in July and having showed them my feet, and the shoes remained on the shelf until last week!!

thewalmartburns3.jpg

2 weeks ago, after my second visit to the doctor, I was contacted via telephone by a man named “Charles” from Walmart here in Mineral Wells and again, he seemed completely indifferent stating that I seemed to “have the situation under control”. I went that day to show him my feet and the employees refused to give me his last name and would only page “a member of management”.

thewalmartburns2.jpg

I received a letter on Friday August 24 and they have referred me to a lady named Letty Lopez in Dallas. As I stated, I have pictures of my feet along with correspondences with the Foreign Trade Commission as well as doctor bills and prescriptions I can share with you.

I have been unable to wear “normal” shoes since July 14 and am still under a doctor’s care!

Sincerely,

Juanita Locke
Mineral Wells, TX

So this is what Walmart means by “taking this report very seriously:…

Some independent body needs to test out the plastic on these flipflops and see what the hell is in them that is causing people’s feet to react in this way. And someone needs to send these flipflops to the CPSC.

Consumerist readers, are there any of these Sun and Sand flipflops still on the shelves of your local Walmart? If so, can they be purchased or has the bar code been removed from Walmart’s system?

UPDATE:

Cheryl in TN writes:

To answer your question, yes, they are on the shelf, at least at the Wal-Mart Supercenter in Rockwood, Tenn., and as recently as last night. They’re on a display near the cash registers and are marked “clearance,” with a $1 price tag.

I actually pointed them out to my daughter, warning her not to touch them and telling her about the woman I read about on The Consumerist. I then wondered aloud what had happened in the original case. Thanks for your update.

PREVIOUSLY:
Walmart Flipflops Continue To Chemically Burn Wearers
Woman Receives Severe Chemical Burns From Flip Flops, Walmart Tells Her To Complain To Manufacturer

Comments

1. rmz says:

I remember a woman submitting a story here a month or two back when this happened to her. What was the response?

All of the commenters said it was her fault.

2. Havok154 says:

Stop buying from Wal-mart, please…for your own safety.

3. gibsonic says:

This is old news. Flip-Flops burned John Kerry back in 2004. This would have been a much funnier problem had it happened back then.

4. warf0x0r says:

@Havok154: Agreed 100%! I don’t like using scare tactics but common, LOOK AT HIS FEET!!!

5. taylorich says:

The more damaging item here is that this guy wears pink and yellow flowery flip flops.

6. ncboxer says:

Walmart sells a lot of cheap crap. If you get lead poisoning or your dog dies or your feet burn up, that is because of the cheap crap that Walmart buys for a low low price and resales to you. What is more important to you- saving a few bucks or your health? It is obvious from this woman’s post that she continued to shop at Walmart despite the horrible treatment.

I do feel sorry for her a little, but people need to realize that this is what might happen to you at WalMart, so shop at your own risk…. and don’t complain to consumerist if you get burned (pun intended).

7. ncboxer says:

@taylorich: I thought this was a woman? The name is “Juanita”. Isn’t that a girl’s name?

8. @rmz: Also, half of them knew better than both of the doctors she went to about the problem.

9. lizzybee says:

@ncboxer: Yep, because people deserve to have their pets die and to have their feet burned and disfigured if they buy cheap things.

10. fluiddruid says:

@ncboxer: Cheap or not, Wal-Mart has a responsibility to not distribute products that clearly cause harm when used as intended. See the article? Wal-Mart, even when it knew about the issue, kept harmful products on store shelves.

If someone was handing out poisoned lemonade for fifty cents, would you cry, “Well, you paid fifty cents, it’s your fault for drinking it!”

11. lincolnparadox says:

It might be an allergy to latex or whatever dyes/coloring is in the straps?

12. WindowSeat says:

I remember something similar happening to my Mom a few years back. The culprit was a fairly expensive handbag and whatever was used to dye the leather handle burned her hands and wrists.

13. formergr says:

I feel bad for her, but why didn’t she hold on to one flip-flop, and send the other one on to
    Wal-Mart so they can figure out what’s going on?

It just seems a little disengenuous to be mad at them for not pulling the sandals if no one sends them an offending one to test. They may be waiting to pull them to find out if it’s a simple reaction to latex or some such substance (in which case no need to pull them), or if it’s due to the manufacturing or treatment (in which case pull those suckers!).

I guess I’m just vaguely surprised (even a little impressed?) that Wal-Mart took enough initiative to have Bentonville call and say this has happened 9 times…

14. Amelie says:

While Walmart is the 9th level of hell, a lot of other big box stores are coming in at 7 or 8. Going to Target instead, is not necessarily going to solve the problem, in my opinion.

Yeah, I remember the last time this was posted. All the douches were out. Some got banned, but a lot of them are still here.

15. Balance_In_Life says:

Maybe i don’t know the legal system as much as i would like to. But couldn’t there be lawsuits coming down for this?

16. CumaeanSibyl says:

Ugh. I shouldn’t have to keep saying this:

People buy cheap crap because they’re willing to accept the chances that it might break or function poorly.

They do NOT buy cheap crap because they’re willing to accept the chances that it might POISON THEM.

Contrary to some opinions expressed here, consumers do expect a minimum standard even from the cheapest, shoddiest overseas merchandise in Wal-Mart. They expect that their retailers will not sell them products that are actively harmful. I defy you to find any consumer, no matter how poor or undiscriminating, who would be willing to buy something if you told them “by the way, this might either poison you or catch on fire.”

The reason people still eat recalled foods, or buy potentially dangerous products like these flip-flops, is because they’re ignorant of the risk — not because they’ve accepted it.

17. Onouris says:

@lincolnparadox:

Exactly.

18. Lazlo Nibble says:

@Rectilinear Propagation: The doctor in the original woman’s case prescribed steroids and antibiotics, which is consistent with an allergic reaction. Multiple posters in the thread, including one self-proclaimed MD and one self-proclaimed RN, pointed out at the woman’s symptoms were completely consistent with contact dermatitis. She never claimed that a doctor had diagnosed it as a chemical burn — the person who told her it was a burn was some random internet person who experienced the same thing and emailed her about it. Her “proof” that she’s not allergic to latex (which is relevant only if she knows that’s what the flip flops are made of) consisted of wearing a pair of latex gloves around the house for a few hours, as opposed to walking around with flip-flop straps rubbing against her (possibly sweaty) feet for several days AFTER she noticed her feet were being irritated by them.

I hate Wal-Mart as much as the next guy, but nothing that’s been posted about any of these cases is inconsistent with an allergic reaction to the materials used in the flip flops. If anyone honestly thinks that the “random pairs of footwear are coated with some kind of corrosive” explanation is more likely than the “allergic reaction” explanation, I’d love to know why.

19. 3drage says:

Not to freak you guys out or anything, but it appears the person who sent those pictures is a woman, not a man.

20. Buran says:

@rmz: Of course they did. This is “BlameTheVictim”Ist now.

21. vonskippy says:

9 alleged cases and NOT one of them can send in a flip-flop for chemical/biological testing?

22. mandarin says:

What the hell is wrong with umm some of you? Just because they buy in Walmart means they need to suffer poisoning?? Sheesh talk about elitists….

23. VA_White says:

Juanita has some nice hooves. She should have spent the money on a pedicure.

And I agree that she should send ONE sandal back for testing. That way if they stonewall she still has the one to shoe to test independently.

24. phobs says:

@Balance_In_Life: From what I understand standard practice for large corporations is to draw out lawsuits for as long as possible. This means you probably need a minimum of $10-$20k to spare just to think about a lawsuit. Even the process of discovery can take years. However, I’m no expert, just what I’ve read online.

I can’t believe WalMart is not putting an end to this problem. Their PR machine should be on top of this. They are certainly not a stupid company. I can’t see the economic advantage of having their reputation repeatedly damaged by some sandals that probably make them a few cents in profit. Its not like its hard for WalMart to find new suppliers.

25. lestat730 says:

I really didn’t need to see those pictures to understand the article… ewww

26. Melov says:

I have a blue male pair of those… no problems

27. entitynein says:

I’m no expert on rashes or chemical burns, but having read the original complaint posted last month (or the month before, I start losing track), and subsequently reading an article relating to unsafe levels of formadehyde in blankets shipped to New Zealand ([www.bloomberg.com]), I can’t help but feel like the two might be connected in some way. Anyone with a spare Gas Chromatograph Mass Spectrometer got the time to go all Forensic Files on these shoes?

28. Trai_Dep says:

Hey, Ben, Carey, Meg (rar!):

Any way to get the Consumerist Flickr group to get all the scarred feet in them? And sandals. Good to have up as a cautionary tale…

Oh, and to the victim-blamers: buy all your condoms from Wal-Mart from now on, the house brand. Wear them. It’s only a matter of time before you’ll be back with a BBQ’d johnson. Then we can form a circle and laugh at you. :D

29. breny says:

@LAZLONIBBLE – If you looked at the OP’s website and actually READ what she said you would see you are mistaken on many counts. At least nine people have suffered similar reactions, some after wearing the flip flops for only a few minutes. Yes, her physician prescribed steroids and antibiotics for the condition. However, several months later (according to the photos on her site) she still had irritation, redness, and scabbing.

I am not a physician, but in my opinion this appears to be more than a simple case of contact dermatitis.

30. erica.blog says:

What average person knows the first thing about sending shoes to an independent lab for testing? Not the sort of thing you tend to have easily at hand.

@Rectilinear Propagation: and half of them were too interested in how her feet looked to care…

31. dbeahn says:

So how many pairs of these were sold? A million? More? And 9 people “burned”. Statistically speaking, that’s what? Zero?

Sounds like these people may have a rare sensitivity. So what? I’m sorry, but we don’t stop making things with walnuts just because a small percentage of people are allergic. We tell those people to learn what their allergies are and suck it up. And I’m betting way more than 9 in a million people are allergic to walnuts.

And yeah, that first woman that KEPT WEARING THE FLIP FLOPS even after they burned her? Stupid. Would we be calling her stupid if she touched a red-hot burner and got burned, then touched it again, “just to see if that’s what it was”? Yup.

32. lizzybee says:

@CumaeanSibyl: Thank you for speaking sense! I wouldn’t have known anything about these flip-flops or of any of the recent recalls if I didn’t read Consumerist, and I’m willing to bet none of the victims had either until this happened to them and they did some online research.

I’m half-tempted to go to one of our (swarming vast horrible masses of) WalMarts and having a looksee to see if the thongs are still on sale there. The problem is, I’d have to break my boycott…

33. lizzybee says:

@dbeahn: 9 that we know of. Who knows how many other cases are out there where the doctor has diagnosed the problem as an allergy, and the victims just thought they should “suck it up?”

34. morganlh85 says:

@Havok154: Yeah because Target and Kmart don’t buy their items from China, right? Give me a break. I bet all the lead-poisoned toys on the market are all from Walmart only too, right?

35. dbeahn says:

@lizzybee: You’d better get going then and make sure that ANYTHING on the market that ANYONE is allergic to is pulled off store shelves.

36. phobs says:

@dbeahn: Thats fair, but I’m pretty sure things that contain walnuts and peanuts are obligated by law to warn customers. I agree though, it does seem like some allergic reaction. I can’t imagine it would be difficult for WalMart to determine what it is, considering there are 9 cases to pull data from.

Statistically 9 is insignificant, but so is our chances to be victims of terrorism. Its not only the likelihood that should be considered but also the severity. The reaction is pretty severe, so if I were to buy these sandals I would like to know of the possibility.

I’m surprised groups who hate Walmart havent used this to seed a smear campaign. There’s certainly enough anti-Walmart people out there.

37. JustIcedCoffee says:

I’m still not convinced that this is a dangerous product. Wal-Mart Claims millions has been sold (granted not best source, but sounds about right)
    lets say 11 people out of 2 mill * 100 = 0.00055% not everyone would go back to walmart to complain everyday, so lets multiply that by 100 = 0.055% or about 1/20 or so of a percent… sounds like an allergic reaction or chemical sensitivity.. as opposed to some killer flip flops from china or world beyond.
    Occam’s razor —- either it’s a allergy/chemical sensitivity or we believe the conspiracy theory put forth by people who have the time in their day to goto walmart complain everyday. For me it’s an easy choice.

38. vonskippy says:

@erica.blog: Funny, all these people could figure out how to post their whole photo essay on the web, yet none of them could figure out how to use the Yellow Pages, or call a local University, or ask a friendly Reference Librarian how to find a lab?

39. phoenixcat says:

Just for the record- I deal with labs all the time for my job, in hazardous waste. You need to know what to test for! If this person is not in a field where she deals with chemicals- she would have no idea where to start. Also- even once you know what to run- it is pricey at best. Do you think she even knows what formaldehyde is? I wouldnt even know where to start myself.

40. Her Grace says:

I’d say only 1 in a million people are dumb enough to put coffee in their laps when driving and have it spill on them, too, but that was a legit lawsuit.

41. angelmom1 says:

9 people that we know of, my question is how many of those unknowns are children? I have seen children with is sort of rash on the beach and the parents seem to think that it is sandburn. The sand rubbing their skin, I wonder if there is a connection?

42. bravo369 says:

I won’t blame the victim but I do think the complaint should be to the manufacturer and not walmart. Walmart is just selling the product. If the manufacturer doesn’t recall the product then what can walmart do? also, the guy in the story refused to send the flipflops in to be tested. Well how are they supposed to verify any of these claims? news flash…you have 2 flipflops. if you feel they are going to destroy evidence…well send 1 then. you’ll still have one and the other can be tested. Am I really the only one who thought of that?

43. ColbyWolf says:

Sure would be nice if there were stores other then walmart here to go to. most of them are out of business, or twice as expensive.

44. dbeahn says:

@phobs: So are you saying that it’s Walmart’s responsibility to know what these 9 (or 11 or whatever) people are allergic to and post a warning? Apparently these people don’t know what it is that is causing the reaction, so even if Walmart did, and did post a warning….these people would have bought the flip flops anyway, since they don’t know the warning applies to them.

@Her Grace: At least in that case, the coffee was being served at a temperature well above the accepted “normal” temp. McDonald’s was serving coffee at 180, high enough to cause 2nd and 3rd degree burns. The average temp pretty much everywhere else was found to be a safer 140 – not enough to cause those burns.

It is nice to know that you feel that people should not be responsible for their own stupidity. But then, by your logic, the people that run the stores, companies, etc etc would ALSO not be responsible for their own stupidity, and therefore no one is to blame for anything. What’s next? We need to pull all walnuts off the market because someone that doesn’t know they’re allergic might buy them, and stupidly KEEP EATING THEM even when they start to have an adverse reaction? It wouldn’t be their fault, right, if they didn’t call 911. It would be the evil walnut farmers! *rolls eyes*

45. smarty says:

@phobs: Well, let’s see…people are allergic to various perfumes, shampoo, and hair dyes, yet there are no warning labels on them. In fact:
    [www.dailymail.co.uk]
    I bet Wal-Mart sells hair coloring products.

How do people who are allergic to shampoos, hair dyes, perfumes, beer, and even spandex know they are allergic to those products? Hint: They have some exposure to it, see an allergy specialists, and find out exactly what they are allergic to. Others don’t see a specialist but avoid the product. [www.mayoclinic.com]

Latex allergy maybe?
    [www.emedicinehealth.com]

I’m glad Consumerist does allow debate, it would get boring with the frequent posting “its ALWAYS the companies fault”, and don’t hold people responsible for their own actions once in a while. How about holding the victims responsible for not getting checked out by specialist docs right away and getting their flip flops tested as well as holding Wal-Mart responsible for getting the ingredient list from the manufacturer to help identify what could cause the reactions.

46. smarty says:

@dbeahn: Right on!
    Where are all the “ban cosmetics” crowd?
    [allergies.about.com]
    That’s 5.7 million…yet the kool-aid crowd is in an uproar over 9.

47. Trai_Dep says:

@phoenixcat: “Just for the record- I deal with labs all the time for my job, in hazardous waste. You need to know what to test for!”

Exactly. The freepers, being ignorant blatherers, don’t note the distinction, having gotten the totality of their scientific knowledge from Star Trek

@Her Grace: “I miss the old Consumerist. The one where all these blame the victim asshats weren’t commenting.”

I think it’s a consequence of Consumerist’s success. It pissed off the megacorps, the Wal-Marts, etc. So they sent the cockroaches in to clutter up the boards.

Since it has changed, Consumerist is in DIRE need of a voting procedure a la Craigslist. Cogent people of all perspectives are welcome, but the “Why is this on Consumerist”, “Damn victim deserved it” and “Big daddy keeps his house n*ggers like us fed, so who are we to complain” spammers should be flagged for editors to decide if it adds to the conversation.

48. infinitysnake says:

@formergr: No offense, but they DO have about a gazillion of their own to “test.” I tink they were more interested in “losing” them.

49. infinitysnake says:

@phoenixcat: Funny, that’s my husband’s job, too.

50. ekincam says:

I left my car in the sun all day and I burned my hand on the steering wheel bad enough that I have a small welt. My shift knob and arm rest were hot enough that I couldn’t touch them.

Can I sue the manufacturer for making a car that gets hot in the sun? Nevermind that it was 120 degrees outside and the car was sitting in the sun without shade from sun rise to 300pm when I got inside.

51. Charles Duffy says:

@infinitysnake: If it was just a few bad batches that have this issue, testing the gazillion they still have may not be as useful as getting one they know is defective.

That way it’ll be more reasonable to run a broader spectrum of tests on the one they know is harmful — and then they can use those results to know what they need to look for and run more narrowly focused spot checks.

Sending one known-bad sandal in for testing (or a portion of one) == Good Thing.

52. mconfoy says:

@rmz: Yea, they dumped all over the poor woman. But since the post is still there, we can go back and look at then make fun of everyone that did. Then if you check out their other posts, you will see its a common theme.

53. mconfoy says:

@ekincam: No but given the quality of your comment, it would not surprise me if this happened to you.

Poor Walmart, its just a coincidence that it seems to happen to them more than any other store. Everyone is out to get Walmart, make them look bad, just like the press and Senator Craig and Gonzalez. Right.

54. Havok154 says:

@morganlh85:

While I can’t speak for Kmart since I don’t even know the last time I went in there but Target may sell stuff made in China but their build quality seems much better than anything I’ve seen in Walmart. Most of the stuff in Walmart reminds me of stuff I’d find in a $.99 store. Well since most of the lead stuff have been from Mattel, that’s anywhere but the way that Walmart handles their recalls is what scares me more than the russian roulette of buying the stuff. Like when the dog food was recalled and there were reports of the food being pulled, only to be restocked the next morning, multiple times.

55. phobs says:

@smarty:
    Like I posted above, likelihood should not be the only factor in determining the necessity of warnings on potentially hazardous products, they should also consider the severity of the danger.

If all the products you listed offer reactions that are severe enough, there is no way to determine their composition, and there is no reasonable way to test for a reaction, then yes the products should contain warning labels. What good are government regulations if they cant, in the very least, give me a reasonable expectation of safety.

You are giving me a list of items that can be tested on skin before use, several of which have ingredients listed, and showing me an example from another country of established consumer neglect (ie. warning was in the box).

“getting their flip flops tested as well as holding Wal-Mart responsible for getting the ingredient list from the manufacturer to help identify what could cause the reactions.”
    If you want to sell something in America it is your obligation to determine you have a safe product, or you open yourself up to liability. If it is determined that a company failed to do this, the cost should not be bared by the consumer.

56. And yeah, that first woman that KEPT WEARING THE FLIP FLOPS even after they burned her?

@dbeahn: It’s only been said a billion times that she didn’t.

@bravo369: If they really wanted to test one, shouldn’t they test a pair they haven’t sold yet? They don’t actually need someone to send in a shoe and I’d think it would be easier to test something that hasn’t had someone’s feet in it or been tracked through dirt and who knows what else.

@erica.blog: I want to know why I have to bother going in to the doctor’s office if a photo is sufficient for a diagnosis.

57. fluiddruid says:

Guys, remember, at this point 9 is not necessarily the complete number. I’m willing to reserve some judgement but frankly many people may have never reported a problem.

And assuming that Wal-Mart’s claim of “millions sold” without any verification is rather foolish as well.

58. Blueskylaw says:

Lead Poisoning?

59. NinaHagen says:

This happen to me years ago with Nikes – tragedy I didn’t sue really. I was too focused on getting rid of the creeping crud from my uninsured foot…

60. Piri says:

I wrote to the woman with the original website about this problem when it was first posted on the consumerist. This looks like a reaction to PPD, a banned substance used in Black hair dyes and “Black Henna” (which is not henna at all, DO NOT USE IT).

[www.hennapage.com]

This site has photo examples of what PPD chemical burns look like. Just like these sandals, the reaction takes a day or so and it leaves blisters and scarring that can be permenant. Of all the people who come in contact with PPD, some will have a reaction like this, and of those who are sensitive to it a small percentage will have a full body reaction that can put you in the hosptial. It’s very scarey.

61. lordmaxwel says:

okay okay – I am kinda tired of reading about this and understanding what really is going on. It is a chemical burn from the manufactoring process. Cheap shoes means CHEAP CHEAP NASTY glue and the factory cannot remove this without diesel fuel or formadylhyde. Wally world wants to make $$ off the crappy shoes and refuses to pay a higher cost (I am talking $.30 – $.80 per pair here people) on the shoe – so viola – there are your chemical burns. Will they admit it?? Umm Yeah.

62. CapitalC says:

Seriously, what did you expect for $2 at WalMart?

63. Trai_Dep says:

Not to be in blinding pain then permanently scarred? Not to be treated like a criminal if we report it to the sleazy company pushing toxic merchandise? I know, we’re sentimental that way…

64. YokoOno says:

MorganLH85, bless you for saying this:

I get so very sick of this crap. Target and K-Mart buy from many of the same vendors. If you are going to slag off Wal-Mart, slag off the other discount chains. They are ALL THE SAME.

65. boxjockey68 says:

“Seriously, what did you expect for $2 at WalMart?”

Seriously, for 2 bucks, we would have expected the shoes to fall apart, NOT hurt our feet, and by our I mean the plethora of people that have emailed me so far saying same thing.
    There is something wrong with the shoes guys….
    Say what you want, just keep talking about it, and keep showing it to your friends.

66. dix99 says:

OOHH, I hope there not Meghann’s feet..

67. CapitalC says:

I wasn’t trying to be insensitive but seriously, what kind of quality were you expecting from $2 worth of footwear? Consider costs for materials, assembly, packaging, shipping, retail display, labour to put them on the store shelves and markup for profit. Whittle away all but the raw materials and you’re looking at pennies, and do you know what kind of materials you get for pennies? The kind that may potentially burn your feet. Spend the $10 next time and avoid the trouble.

68. gromitdog says:

@CumaeanSibyl:
    I work for a manufacturer (well marketer, we don’t make anything) and im sorry to inform you that we source crap from china and market it as premium and mark it up in a huge way but don’t believe that by paying more your safe.

69. Cherokeerebel says:

I think this stinks! Even if only 9 people got a bad skin reaction from the flip flops, it still stinks!
    Why is it that most all the products we buy, the parts or the whole thing is made overseas somewhere?
    And while I am on the subject, why are people from overseas coming here to suck up our hard earned money?
    My disabled friend lives in a condo at Myrtle Beach based on her income. She can’t help it she is disabled, but the dang mexicans down there get treated better than the U.S.A citizens.
    She is just getting by and a mexican that lives nest door driving a brand new Expedition got pulled over at a police check. He had no insurance and no drivers permit. The condo association went door to door to collect money to get his sorry @$$ out of jail! My poor friend can’t even get a break on her rent. Her disability check is $900 and something a month and $600 of it goes to rent. People on welfare are living better than her! She can’t even get food stamps!
    We need to quit buying crap from China, but it sure is hard to do! I try to buy American, like when I got a new TV. I found out it was made in Mexico!!!!!!

70. Trackback says:

It’s already been almost a year since Kelly Stiles got chemically burned from a pair of $3 flip flops she bought at Wal-Mart, and the company STILL hasn’t responded. Kelly wasn’t the only one who got burned, either.