Reach Amtrak Executive Customer Service

The corporate email address for Amtrak appears to lastnamefirstletteroffirstname@amtrak.com.

So, just by way of example, president and CEO Alexander Kummant would be kummanta@amtrak.com.

The only phone number we could find was 202-906-3000. You can reach the employee directory by saying “employee,” try to pronounce “Alexander Kummant” correctly (or any of the other officers listed here), and then use the tips in How To Interact With Executive Customer Service to escalate your claim.

(Photo: skunks)

Comments

1. timmus says:

One day a railroad engineer calls dispatch and asks for the time. The dispatcher responds by asking him what railroad he works for. The engineer gets flustered and says, “What difference does that make?”
    “Well,” the dispatcher drawls, “if you work for BNSF it’s 2 pm. If you work for Union Pacific, it’s 1400. If you work for CSX, the big hand is on the 12 and the little hand is on the 2. If you work for Amtrak it’s Tuesday!”

2. ChrisC1234 says:

Hmm… being a government entity, I’d expect as much from their customer service people as I would from the IRS – NOT MUCH.

3. astro says:

I blasted off a good two page email about an ongoing issue with Amtrak to the ceo and 1-2 other people (marketing and GC) to see what kind of response I get. Hopefully, I’ll hear something back.

I got stuck paying for a ticket when Guest Rewards messed up and deducted the points for the travel, but put it in someone elses name. The guy at the ticket counter in Baltimore couldn’t have cared less, and made me buy a $100 ticket to go from B-more to Newark NJ (where I catch the PATH home).

I have a number of recorded calls now of Amtrak saying “we screwed up” and “we’ll give you a credit” but them also saying, yeah, I guess we’ll do it in 2-4 weeks. It’s rediculous that I should then have to shell out money from my own pocket, only to then be credited.

I disputed with AMEX (thankfully!) and am waiting a resolve.

I figured I’d email them after seeing this online. Thanks again guys!

4. homerjay says:

Ugh… so the shitty-ass service isn’t just limited to the airlines, then, is it?

5. humorbot says:

They must get at least, god… three or four calls a day!

6. embean says:

Thank you for posting this! Time to fire off some emails.

I got nowhere by contacting them through their website.

7. homerjay says:

Can anyone give me any reason why someone would choose Amtrak over airlines for long distance travel? I remember when i was a kid my parents took us to Disney on Amtrak (Boston to Orlando). It was a fun ride for me- as far as I remember- but we were in the sleeper car so that made it far more bearable. From what I can see now, that service is incredibly expensive- prohibitably so.

What is the benefit?

8. astro says:

I travel back and forth to DC here and there, and taking the train seems to cost around the same amount as flying **WHEN BUYING LAST MINUTE TICKETS**. If you book months in advance – flying could be cheaper.

A couple of points to ponder though: Amtrak takes you right in to the hart of DC, and you can get just about anywhere in the business district taking a cab for 6-12 bucks (though the rates probalby went up anyway, it’s close). If you fly to Dulles, you can expect an additional 30-90 minutes to get from the airport to the same location in DC.

While flights are shorter – you have to arrive at the airport 1-2 hours ahead of time to make it through security (should you be one of those folks without status) and then wait to fly out. The physical time spent on the plane is less than the train, but when you add up travel time to airport + security + waiting/delays + time in air + time getting luggage + time to destination, the train will probably win every time.

I can walk to Penn station in NYC now, hop on a train that leaves in 5 minutes, and be in our DC office in around 2-3 hours via accela… Oh, did I mention I can use both my aircard and cell phone the WHOLE time?

9. locodoc says:

For ordinary amtrak employees like me use only the first 6 letters of their last name then the first initial.

For Amtrak execs use only their three initials.

10. embean says:

@ Homerjay – Traveling from Canada to US. Plane tickets were 2-3x more + the cost of $95-$200 to get a passport. A bus was the same cost as a train, but we chose train due to the fact that it’s more comfortable and was supposed to take the same amount of time.

@ locodoc – So Alexander Kummant would be a?k@amtrak.com ?

11. not_seth_brundle says:

@homerjay: Amtrak is usually cheaper, is way more comfortable than sitting on a plane (especially if you upgrade to business class which is insanely cheap–$14 each way for the routes I take), you don’t have to deal with security hassles (though there are other hassles, for sure), you can make phone calls and check your Blackberry, plug in your laptop, get up and walk around, look out the window at something other than clouds…

And some people are afraid of flying.

And even though Amtrak is often late… so are flights, more and more these days.

For any travel under 500 miles I’ll happily take Amtrak. Over that, it’s pushing it, but there are still a lot of advantages to train travel.

12. Sasquatch says:

When I travel from Boston to Philly (where my family and a lot of my friends live), I love taking Amtrak. It drops me off right at 30th Street station, and I can get from my seat to the sidewalk in about a minute.

A flight from Boston to Philly takes about an hour, or should. At to that the 2 hours early I have to get to the airport, the inevitable 2-hour delay I spend on the tarmac (while not being updated about the situation), and waiting for my luggage once I land because apparently someone found a way to blow up a plane with shampoo and liquid soap so I have to check that stuff now.

It may be a little more expensive, but they have power outlets, big comfy seats, and the scenery is beautiful. Plus, the snack car, while meager, beats the tar out of a small bag of pretzels and a soda.