Make Refrigerator Pickles!

If one leaves one’s pickles in the fridge, one does not have to go through the whole canning process.

We’ve never tried this but it looks like a good idea. We like refrigerated pickles, like Claussens for example, much better than other types of pickles. They’re crunchy!

Are there any refrigerator pickling experts out there that would like to share their pickling tips?

Refrigerator Pickles – Quick n’ Easy [Instructables]

Comments

1. bohemian says:

I made a batch of these and they were really good, didn’t last long.
    [www.cooks.com],1936,145171-251201,00.html
    They are sort of sweet but not quite sweet pickles.

I made a batch of these, opening the jar tonight.
    [www.cooks.com],191,151191-244192,00.html

I don’t use cider vinegar, I think it gives an odd taste. I use regular distilled vinegar or white wine vinegar. As long as it has the same acidity as cider vinegar or higher it will work.

2. GirlGoneRiled says:

While it’s true that fridge pickles are faster, there’s only so many pickles one can keep on hand and ready to go. Canning is one of those skills that pays back a thousand-fold after the capital investment in a a bit of equipment and jars. This year I’ve “put up” scores of jars of crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salsa (tomato and tomatilla), jams, fruits and – yes – all kinds of pickles. All of it poison train- and HFCS-free.

Seriously, I highly recommend it even to those who doubt their Ma Ingalls credentials. It’s not hard, faster to do than you think and, dare I say it?, even a bit fun.

3. Dervish says:

Go through the canning process, but instead of pickling cucumbers, pickle green beans with a clove of garlic and big sprig of dill in each jar!

Ahh, Mom’s dilly beans…a staple of every Dervish family holiday.

4. stubblyhead says:

I do not recognize the pickle’s right to exist. it’s like a zombie cucumber. who wants zombies in their fridge?

5. humphrmi says:

@stubblyhead: I, for one, welcome our new pickled overlords!

6. Dr_Doofus says:

OK, but isn’t botulism a potential problem with vegetables that haven’t been through the canning process?

7. WindowSeat says:

I’m not being a blogwhore, but I kind of do the pickling thing in a big way as the second pic in this post will show.

8. Dovi says:

Cut up a fresh bell pepper, plunk the strips in a mason jar with some white vinegar and salt and presto! very nice picklish peppers with a light taste and a refreshing crispness.

I’m not sure how long they’ll stay good in the fridge though…they never last long enough around here to start going bad. Great with sandwiches.

9. GirlGoneRiled says:

@WindowSeat: Love it! Is it blogwhoring if it’s appreciated? I’m here with my meager efforts – I’ve got a lot to learn from you! Growing shallots?! Rock on…

10. WindowSeat says:

@GirlGoneRiled: You’re quite the canning prodigy, let’s sit here and smirk the smirk of someone who doesn’t pay retail for tomatillo salsa.

11. marsneedsrabbits says:

I was reading the NYT yesterday and came across a recipe for Kool Aid Pickles, which are Dill pickles that have been drained & soaked in very strong red Kool Aid.
    Google for recipes and pictures (ewww, red pickles!)
    As to Botulism, mentioned above, It grows in anaerobic conditions, so as long as you don’t try to give your fridge pickles an air-tight seal, Botulism should not be an issue.

12. Floobtronics says:

@confusedrabbit: I’m guessing that was prompted by the recent episode of Feasting on Asphalt (where Alton Brown takes epic journeys on motorcycles), where he encounters Coolikcles (yes, that’s what they’re called).

They’re just vexing. They look evil.

13. velvetjones says:

Speaking of Alton Brown he has some recipes on foodtv.com for fridge pickles. Pickling is big in my family, I’ve made a few batches of pickled baby beets with great success and fabulous in a martini. My mom has made phenomenal pickled jalapenos, baby carrots and green beans this way.

I would not suggest using the insructables recipe there’s too much water and the ziploc bag freaks me out. Being the paranoid type I am, I boil my brine and sterilize the jars even for refrigerator pickles. Better safe than sorry.

14. Roundonbothends says:

@GirlGoneRiled:

The surprise is all that stuff that you have to add to the “kit” besides tomatoes and green pepper to get good salsa. We have two quarts of it now, but hush, we ain’t sharin’.

15. megyay says:

@dr_doofus & velvetjones:

do not worry! botulism requires an anaerobic environment to produce toxin. when you actually can foods you create a vacuum. botulism occurs when foods have been sealed but not properly sterilized. refrigerator pickles do not get sealed. botulism also requires low acid environments, the amount of vinegar in any pickle recipe is enough to stop it from growing. fruits are also a high-acid food. this is why you NEED to pressure-can meats, seafood, non-pickled vegetables, but a boiling water bath will suffice for pickles and fruit preserves.

important botulism test: if the lid on an unopened canned product (home canned or commercially canned) is bulging DO NOT EAT IT.

16. megyay says:

@megyay:

do not eat the food within the can, that is…obviously one should never eat a can.

17. thepounder says:

@velvetjones: I confess I boil everything (jars, lids, etc) as well when making my preserves at home… but I think my touch of paranoia comes in a bit handy because none of my preserves have ever come out nasty or gone bad on me.

And Alton Brown rocks… just thought I’d throw that in.

18. velvetjones says:

@megyay: I’m not so much worried about botulism as I am about other things in general, like wild yeast, mouse poop dust [that's what the dust is at grocery stores], or raccoon spit [im in ur garden eatin ur tomatoes. ] I don’t use anti-bacterial anything, but if I can boil it, or scrub it, game on.

& THEPOUNDER I am surprised Alton Brown doesn’t personally contribute to this site, this is so up his alley (and ours).

19. Elvisisdead says:

@velvetjones: We routinely make the pickled carrots that Alton calls “firecrackers”. Nothing better than an ice-cold barley pop and some firecrackers after work.

I never boil anything, just give the jar a good wash, preferrably in the dishwasher. Also, I like to use apple cider vinegar cut with white vinegar.

20. velvetjones says:

@Elvisisdead: I agree with the cider vinegar — just like g-ma told me: cider vinegar, not cider FLAVORED vinegar

I saw the firecracker recipe, very similar to one of my moms, they are excellent and a jar never lasts long. you should try that recipe with green beans.