Will Jessica Simpson, Donald Trump and Martha Stewart Convince You To Shop At Macy's?

Macy’s is launching a new ad campaign that will feature “celebrities” tending their respective sections of Macy’s. Martha will be arranging her housewares, Jessica Simpson will be folding clothes, and Donald Trump… We’re not sure what Donald Trump will be doing. Maybe he’ll fire Jessica Simpson. Anyway, from the Chicago Tribune:

Other celebrities in the campaign include Sean Combs, Kimora Lee Simmons, Russell Simmons, Marc Ecko, Emeril Lagasse, Tyler Florence, Tommy Hilfiger and Kenneth Cole. Some ads also feature Tim Gunn, co-host of the TV show “Project Runway.” The ads were created by WPP Group’s JWT.

Macy’s has struggled to win over shoppers since converting 11 regional department store nameplates, including Marshall Field’s, to Macy’s last September. Last week, the retailer, with headquarters in New York and Cincinnati, posted a 77 percent decline in second-quarter profit on a 1.7 percent sales decline. Sales have declined for the past three quarters.

Macy’s campaign turns to Donald Trump, Martha Stewart [Chicago Tribune]
(Photo:Vince Brown)

Comments

1. roche says:

Nope

2. Cowboys_fan says:

If celebrities are promoting it, how can I say no? They know everything so what they say must be true

3. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

No, because I’m intelligent enought to know that these celebrities don’t really shop at Macy’s if they do their own shopping at all.

God, I hate our commercial culture. I don’t understand how people put up with these stupid, condescending advertisments & TV shows.

4. DjDynasty says:

I don’t care if they brought back John Lennon from the grave to sell the new line of give peace a chance bullet proof vests. I’m not shopping there until Macy’s is removed from each building that was not built with the Macy’s name on it when it was designed. That’s Marshall Field’s, Filines, Rich’s Burdines, I.Magnin, Broadways, Bullucks, Foleys, Hechts, Strawbridges, Jordan Marsh, The Bon, Wananmakers, and everything else they did not rightfully build on their own, rather than corporately rape away from America!

5. jaredgood1 says:

Yes, it absolutely will. Thanks to celebs like Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan, my food bill has shrunk and my coke bill has skyrocketed.

Kidding aside, I could care less what are paid to whore out. I shop at Macy’s because I like the cloths they sell and haven’t had any negative shopping experiences there.

6. MameDennis says:

Mayhap they should stop selling overpriced crap?

7. Bob says:

Their stuff is already too expensive. Now they’re going to pay all of these people tons of money to be in a commercial!?!?!

8. RandomHookup says:

I’m sure Jessica could, but it would involve a personal visit.

9. DadCooks says:

Absolutely not!

Martha Stewart is a convicted felon who has a houseware line at K-Mart. Real class person. Trump and Simpson are not much better.

Macy’s has destroyed the Bon Marche and Marshall Field’s (and everything else they bought)–no amount of celebrity can fix that. How about quality products, at good prices, and an emphasis on customer service. Fat chance Macy’s will ever get a clue.

10. Chairman-Meow says:

Once again, life imitates the Simpsons.

11. Youthier says:

These are some of the worst celebrities to shill product that I’ve ever seen. Jessica Simpson and Donald Trump? Is it 2004?

12. anatak says:

“…and Donald Trump… We’re not sure what Donald Trump will be doing”

twould be nice if he were walking around firing people, but more likely it will have to do with his line of suits and dress shirts. Then again, maybe he’ll buy the place out, shut it down and build another luxury golf course.

13. SaraAB87 says:

I am intelligent enough not to listen to celebrities, and the only thing that will get me to shop at Macy’s again is if they LOWERED THEIR PRICES!!!!!!!!

14. babble says:

Donald Trump could be firing the people who came up with this lame campaign.

15. zaq2g says:

macy’s and federated can die a slow horrible death. Bring back marshall fields and marshall fields service.

16. nweaver says:

Martha Stewart just reeks of K-Mart. You know, the quality of Wal*Mart but dirtier and higher prices?

17. SOhp101 says:

Hmm let’s see…

Jessica Simpson – Great looking gal with not so great intellect. Sure they claim that she was just pretending on that reality show but I don’t believe that.

Donald Trump – The guy does not know how to speak in a normal voice and claims that slapping his name on anything dramatically increases the value; nevermind the fact that he’s – oh excuse me, corporations that he oversaw – declared bankruptcy several times. Don’t get me started on that horrid cologne.

Martha Stewart – Already sold her soul to K-Mart. Both of them tanked after she was used as a scapegoat… do you really want to associate yourself with a convicted felon who’s commonly known to be a bitch to anyone who works for her?

18. uptown says:

Celebrities won’t convince me to shopt at Macy’s, but making their store less of a labrynth might. The store in midtown Manhattan is like a freaking maze, with half-floors and escalators that are tucked away in hidden hallways. When’s the last time you found it easy to find floor “five and a half”?

19. azntg says:

Just like Meg said: “It’s like they sat around making a list of unlikable people, then threw in some fashion at the end.” I couldn’t care less about some of the celebrities.

I’ll buy at Macys when I have to (or feel like doing so), but I doubt the new ad campaign will have much effect anyway.

20. velvetjones says:

I can’t think of a more irrelevant cast of characters.

Sorry, still won’t be shopping as Macy’s. I’ve joined the Nordstrom Cult and they are bending over backwards for my business.

21. gabi says:

I was going to say no, but then I saw that Tim Gunn would be doing ads. If that means more Project Runway clothing, I’m all for that. I have a t-shirt (bought off the sale rack, natch) with a PR concept design on it, and it’s one of the coolest shirts I own.

22. Kos says:

@anatak: I had to go to Macy’s a couple of weeks ago to pick something up. Saw the deeply-discounted “Trump — The Dress Shirt.” Nothing says class to me then a disheveled pile of $19.99 dress shirts sitting on top of a table with the Trump name.

I mean, seriously, has any Trump consumer product been successful?

23. dysthymia says:

No. And that is my long answer.

24. acambras says:

I always liked George and Weezie Jefferson, but their commercial for Old Navy didn’t make me want to shop there.

25. Trai_Dep says:

Wow, I couldn’t come up with a better list of anti-celebrities if I spend days on it. Missing Aimee/Ashley (?) “Lipsync” Simpson is the only anti-contribution I can think of. They’re all so, “Eww”.

They’re not even attractive physically – they’re what people think of as beauty, only if you’re the type of 70 year old man that thinks dropping $400/day to dangle a Miss Alabama on your arm – and that’s it, tho maybe a peck on the cheek if you buy her a bauble – makes you a virile alpha male. Meanwhile the pool boy is banging your wife and your adult son is diddling the boys at the Christian youth camp. Just, “Eww”. Eww. Eww.

And the comb-over guy. And the homophobic rap producer whose last creative impulse was two decades ago?

Tim Gunn seems a nice guy – he should have seen which company he’ll keep for this and fled.

Nice to see Macy’s is followng The Gap’s strategy. It’s worked out SO well for Gap, I’m sure Macy’s will be ROLLING it in.

26. AcidReign says:

Knowing Donald Trump, his job will be to tear down the beautiful Chicago-loop Marshall Fields, and build some generic-drivet-cheeseball replacement.

I liked the Martha Stewart K-Mart stuff. decent-looking, functional, cheap decorating supplies. What wasn’t to like? At Macy’s, she’ll lose the cheap market.

I figure they’ll use Jessica Simpson for her smile, and her bellowing. She’ll probably be yelling/singing a new jingle for Macy’s, which will cause viewers to mute/skip/fast forward through more Macy’s commercials than ever.

27. Brie says:

Macy’s – stop requiring your cashiers to trill “Would you describe your shopping experience as OUTSTANDING today???” and I’ll consider shopping there more.

28. ceejeemcbeegee is not here says:

If they started stocking clothes from Banana Republic, dresses from Nicole Miller and Max Azria, and shoes from Charles David, then yes, I’d consider it.

Until then, I’ll stay at Nordy’s.

29. bohemian says:

No, these people would make me less likely to feel the impulse to go buy anything at Macys. Our local Macys was given the same third world backwater midwest that our Marshall Fields and before that Daytons had. We still have minimal selection but now we have rude sales people too!

30. theblackdog says:

They’re not going to convince me to shop there, simply because I already do :-P

31. supra606 says:

@Front_Towards_Enemy: Nice. You’re right I see that all the time. I love that show!

To answer the question, no. I was pretty much indifferent to Macy’s before but now that they’ve got these idiots trying to herd people in like sheep, I’ll make sure I never go near it. What has our culture come to? Why are we expected to worship these people?!? They are no different than you or me other than they got lucky in one way or another. The more you try to stuff it down my throat, the more I will ignore it.

32. bnosach says:

Let me guess: To compensate for those celebrities’ paychecks they’ll rise prices even higher. Of course it will convince me to shop there more and to buy their already overpriced crap for more.
    Great move, Macy’s!

33. Melov says:

The ad won’t, but depending on the clothes, maybe.

34. Melov says:

@MissedTheExit: Try calling customer service…..

35. KernelPanic says:

kp

36. jrdnjstn78 says:

Yes! Whatever celebrities promote I buy or shop there!! No wonder why I’m in debt?!?!?!?!?! Especially if Trump is promoting it! I wonder if he will come out with a hair piece product???? Or maybe a combover hairpiece.

No way. I hate Macy’s. I had to go to the mall and went through Macy’s. I found some cute sandals (discounted) So I decided to get them. Where the hell do the hide the cashier’s at? I finally got frustrated and put the sandals back because I couldn’t find any damn cashiers.

37. Melov says:

@jrdnjstn78:
    You must be fucking blind, seriously.

38. cryrevolution says:

@velvetjones: Me too. I converted a loooong time. If I’m shellin out that kind of money, might as well do it for a company that I like. And now I won’t EVER step foot in there if the likes of Trump and Jessica Simpson are vouching for it. Ugh.

39. becksteen says:

Donald Trump can sell your account information to Citibank so that they can open a charge card for you without your knowledge.

40. rdldr1 says:

I will never shop at Macy’s. However, dining at Macy’s is another matter!

41. fleur-de-lys says:

A lot of the twenty-something women I know, myself included, worship Tim Gunn. The problem is that the sort of women who know who he is aren’t big Macy’s shoppers.

Also: Tyler Florence?

42. DjDynasty says:

@Melov: Just cause you can find a cash register, DOES NOT mean you can find an employee anywhere on the sales floor. I have ended up calling the corporate switch board more times than not, telling the operator, I’m standing at extention # whatever, please have someone call me and walk me threw the self checkout process since Macy’s has cut the Marshall Field’s staff by 90%, and decided to employ fruit flies to charge extra for meat on salads.

43. I have nothing to add that hasn’t been said before so far, but no. Celebrities are largely out-of-touch idiots who do anything for money, and that includes Trump. Also, Macy’s is insanely overpriced and if they’re not meeting sales, its because they’ve bought out every anchor store in every mall in America, and there’s not enough business for overpriced, ugly, useless crap to go around. I don’t really need TWO Macy’s in my local mall, just because Macy’s is too lazy to figure out what to do with the store it just acquired.

44. Hexum2600 says:

I am so confused… Macy’s as insanely over priced? You aren’t shopping at wal-mart, i don’t see most of the people on here shopping at stores like J. Crew or Banana Republic if for no other reason than the prices (since they think Macys is high)… Kohls is the absolute devil and if I could get away with it I would slaughter everyone who has worked or shopped there… Nordstroms is more expensive on the last 5 items i went and comparison shopped… I am so confused.

Where in the world do you guys buy your clothes? Do you sew them yourselves?

45. sroelofs says:

To say Macy’s found the most unlikable people is rather kind as far as I’m concerned. Donald Trump would qualify as “reviled” in Chicago for his eponymous tower under construction that is actually uglier than the heinous Sun-Times building it replaced. Martha Stewart is a criminal and ex-con and though we don’t mind our politicians being criminals in Chicago, we draw the line at our celebrities. And Jessica Simpson… what can you say about Jessica Simpson? Stupid bitch, why you eating TUNA! Get yourself a char-brat!

You notice that no celeb from the Midwest is to be featured in this nonsense. They got too much sense.

46. dazette says:

This “celebrity” marketing debacle will be another chapter in the book about Macy’s trip to the bottom— which will soon be required reading in every B School in America.

47. hyperlexis says:

The day they put the Marshall Field’s script back up over the store entrances again, perhaps maybe I’ll consider a product from those people. Until then, not a chance.

48. Anonymous says:

I just caught the 90 second version of this commercial and this ‘celebrity’ commercial is hilarious… Martha primping her pots – being too overbearing on their exact placement; Trump blow-drying his coif in the section they sell his suits; Simpson delivering her shoes pushing on a door unable to get into Macy’s and calling Kenneth Cole to ask for help – he tells her to push, not pull; Sean John getting Macy’s people to tell him he’s hot… it is basically Macy’s pop-culture brands and their namesakes poking fun at their media perception… I kept laughing through the whole thing.