Melamine Found in Chinese-Made Walmart Dog Treats

Remember the dog treats that Walmart quietly pulled from its shelves instead of recalling? Walmart’s own tests have shown they were tainted with melamine, the same chemical that killed all those pets back in March. Fun.

From CNN:

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. quietly stopped selling Chicken Jerky Strips from Import-Pingyang Pet Product Co. and Chicken Jerky from Shanghai Bestro Trading in July, after customers said the products sickened their pets.

No recall was announced at that time, but Wal-Mart said in a statement Tuesday that customers who bought one of the products should return it to the nearest store for a refund.

Company spokeswoman Deisha Galberth said 17 sets of tests done on the products found melamine, a contaminant that’s a byproduct of several pesticides.

“There were very small amounts of melamine found,” Galberth told The Associated Press. “The amounts were so small the laboratory recommended more testing.”

Prior news reports said that dogs who died after eating the treats had perished from an infection of toxic bacteria, so who really knows. There’s still no mention of a recall of these products on the FDA’s website.

Wal-Mart: Melamine in dog treats [CNN]
(Photo:AP)

PREVIOUSLY: Walmart Offers Owner $2,000 For Killing Her Chihuahua With Toxic Chicken Bestro Jerky Strips It Would Rather Quietly Pull Than Officially Recall

Comments

1. ptkdude says:

So, in Wal-Mart-speak, does “quietly removed from the shelf” mean they just blocked the sale in their register systems, a la the Nazi t-shirts?

2. zero_o says:

“China Says US Soybeans unsafe”
    [www.shanghaidaily.com]

Every time we say something is unsafe they answer right back with saying something of ours is unsafe. This is like a cold food war or something.

3. B says:

I’ll never by a food product at Wal-Mart again. No wonder they had such a tough quarter, while Target didn’t.

4. zero_o says:

Also [chinadigitaltimes.net]

“China Rejects Unqualified Pacemakers”

5. keylight says:

Come on. Enough with the Chinese already. Most of the things we buy in the US are made in China. Our corporations have decided profit comes before quality. Can we start putting the blame where it really belongs? At our own feet.

6. kimsama says:

@zero_o: Yum, cold food war. I envision ice cream cannons and cold cut grenades…

7. keylight says:

To clarify, enough with blaming everything on the Chinese. Nobody forces you to buy products made in China, except perhaps, from American corporations that make it next to impossible to find US made products.

8. mkguitar says:

I sure would like some details on this…I have in my house “waggin’train” brand chicken jerky strips from Sams club. They are labeled made in China imported by ADI Pet products in Reno.
    Are they Safe/ Unsafe?

I’d like to see detailed info on the brands under which the tainted products are sold, lot numbers etc.

MK

9. Techguy1138 says:

@keylight:

The problem is that most people though Chinese made products were the same as US made ones. Just cheaper and maybe a little worse in quality.

By putting the spot light on the low and dangerous quality of these products it informs the consumer of specific products to avoid and creates general knowledge that the products are not equal. It costs 1/2 as much to get a Chinese made product not because they are more efficient but because they cut corners to a dangerous degree.

10. airren says:

MKGuitar,

When I first heard of the chicken strip recall (months ago) I contacted Wagon Train as I buy them in bulk from Costco. They said that there brand was not affected in any way and that their product contained only human grade ingredients.

So, I believe that your dog is ok.

11. ScoobyLover says:

a product photo would be very useful ….

12. savvy9999 says:

OMG. I said ‘melamine’ in the original post. But I was joking. Apparently WalMart wasn’t.

13. Jasmo says:

I’m still baffled that people buy imported, pre-packaged dog treats. When I give my little guy a treat, it’s a piece of cheese or some diced leftover chicken – no overseas outsourced manufacturing required.

14. CumaeanSibyl says:

@Techguy1138: Yeah, exactly. Before all this, I thought if I bought a Chinese-made product it might break or something, not poison me. People’s willingness to put up with shoddy merchandise is not at all the same as willingness to put up with dangerous merchandise, and blaming people for buying Chinese-made products isn’t fair when all they thought was “eh, this might fall apart,” not “this is potentially fatal but it’s cheap so I don’t care.”

15. capitalass says:

Actually, there should be nothing to worry about concerning your future dog-treat purchases from Walmart, as the chairman, Michael Vick, recently stepped down after deciding that he will plead guilty to some unrelated crime.

Walmart doesn’t kill dogs. Falcons kill dogs.

16. timmus says:

How hard is it to just avoid the pet treats that do not have the Made In China label? After this, I would not take any risk with my dog.

17. timmus says:

Er, “avoid the pet treats that DO have the Made In China label”.

18. scottbushee says:

Timmus (and most others),

Sorry to break it to you all, but that huge pet food recall that happened last March was on products of a Canadian company, and the food was made in America.

[en.wikipedia.org]

19. scottbushee says:

Sorry, link didn’t work. The food was made by Menu Foods, a Canadian company. The plant that produced most of the contaminated food was most likely based in Kansas.

They suspect that one of the ingredients used came from China.