Chinese factory took used chopsticks and resold them, without even disinfecting first. [Reuters]

Comments

1. Dead Wrestlers Society says:

Should I just go through all my stuff, take everyting with a “Made in China” printed on it and throw it away.

2. mopar_man says:

@public enemy #1:

I’m tempted to do the same.

3. wobudong says:

How do you glue back together wooden chopsticks?
    I would wait for confirmation on this item.

4. wobudong says:

How do you glue back together wooden chopsticks?
    I await confirmation of this item.

5. Daemon_of_Waffle says:

@wobudong: Wood glue.

6. welsey says:

@wobudong: There are some disposable ones which are separate sticks from the start, you don’t have to break them apart.

Still, it does seem like it would be difficult to pass off used disposable chopsticks as new without some kind of cleaning process. Of course that doesn’t have to disinfect to just appear to clean, though. But this story is a bit strange.

7. iKnow says:

“China has said the world should have faith in the “made-in-China” label and that a spate of product recalls has been unfair, biased and politically motivated.”

from the same article:

“China, on track to overtake the United States this year as the world’s second-largest exporter”

The US has been using Chinese made products for a long time now and there hadn’t been any problems like this, now all of a sudden every single Chinese export is unsafe?

8. quantum-shaman says:

@public enemy #1: People have tried:
    [www.msnbc.msn.com]

9. Invisobel says:

@iKnow: Maybe the public and the media are finally starting to pay attention to the source of all of the recalled products.

10. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@public enemy #1:

You’d have a damn hard time posting to Consumerist!

11. adrock75 says:

“No country can guarantee their food to be 100 percent safe”

Um, yeah, China? You’re at like 14%

12. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

I carry my own pair, plastic ones, in a little case. They take up no weight in my purse. Of course I am a sushi and noodle fanatic. For fancy occasions I have a pair in solid silver. Which ought to get me thrown off the blog for sheer indulgence.

13. theblackdog says:

I have a messenger bag that was made in China, should I worry that it might spontaneously combust?

14. catnapped says:

@theblackdog: Well I wouldn’t eat it, that’s for sure…

15. BrockBrockman says:

Sadly, I think this used-chopstick thing is a known fact amongst the locals in China. Savvy Chinese diners carry their own chopsticks (unless they don’t care they are using used ones). This is one of those “newspaper verifies what everybody already knew” stories.

Not that it makes the horrific nature of used chopsticks, or of Chinese quality-assurance, any better.