Walmart Offers Owner $2,000 For Killing Her Chihuahua With Toxic Chicken Bestro Jerky Strips It Would Rather Quietly Pull Than Officially Recall

Walmart pulls Chinese-made Chicken Bestro Jerky Strips from shelves after customers complain about their pets getting sick. No full recall announced, but they put a transaction block on the item. Then a woman’s Chihuahua dies from a toxic bacteria after eating the strips. Now another woman says her dog died from eating the strips.

Yes, we don’t want to panic the volatile Chicken Jerky Strip market, better keep this one on the DL boys, oops, your dog is dead. Walmart offered the Chihuahua owner $2,000 to compensate her for her loss, which she refused.

When will Walmart step up and do the right thing and launch an official recall? When 5 dogs die? Or after more media attention? Or after the FDA steps in?

[FoxNews] (Thanks to kg6mso!)

Comments

1. headon says:

Train keeps a rollin all night long

2. quantum-shaman says:

How silly. If they had only taken a few moments to add some formaldehyde to their tasty puppy treat product, it would have taken care of that pesky bacteria problem!!

3. Nothing happens until a Chinese man gets executed. Bingo bango.

4. savvy9999 says:

From the article: “We are diligently testing this product,” [spokeswoman Deisha Galberth] said.

Betcha a big vat of melamine that they’re not ‘testing’ this on the Walton family puppies.

5. Jean Naimard says:

Or the Waltons themselves (or, at least, their army of MBAs)…

6. SaveMeJeebus says:

@savvy9999: I thought the Waltons were a bunch of laid back country folk. Why would you want to poison John-boy and Mary Ellen? Maybe the mean old grandma.

7. JustAGuy2 says:

$2k seems pretty fair, replacement cost can’t be more than $500 or so. Remember, for legal purposes, pets are property. A non-pedigreed dog has essentially zero value.

8. Kwummy says:

That’s quite a headline.

9. boandmichele says:

omg! i totally cant believe this! walmart selling a product that is below the quality standard i have come to expect?

…i wouldnt buy light bulbs at walmart, much less anything to be ingested by humans or pets.

10. MeOhMy says:

That was a typo – this stuff is made by DESTRO.

11. lestat730 says:

wow, China just keeps pumping out dangerous products doesn’t it? It’s hard to imagine that this only started happening recently, so the question is how long exactly has the Chinese poison train been moving full steam ahead?

12. lancefrance says:

I have fed my dog these strips and everytime he eats them, he gets sick. I thought it was his sensitive system! Go figure!

13. Trai_Dep says:

I’m SO torn, because I despise yippy, microwavable dogs…

14. JayXJ says:

@JustAGuy2:

$2,000? Let me get our puppy and a shipping box…

15. justelise says:

Fox News reported something negative about Wal-Mart? Wow things must be getting really bad. I have boycotted Wal-Mart since the beginning of this year so I haven’t seen how many Chinese junk products line their shelves.

I still can’t believe that this is still going on. If our government doesn’t start cracking down on this junk getting imported from China, (more) Americans and their pets are going to end up dying.

16. gtr225 says:

Well it’s like the saying goes, you get what you pay for. If you want cheap products and go to Wal-Mart all the time this is what you get. It looks like the poison train stops at every Wal-Mart location for delivery of cheap, poisoned, Chinese goods. I’d rather spend a little more and buy American made products.

17. lestat730 says:

@gtr225: Problem is it’s getting harder and harder to find American made products…

18. Kavatar says:

I’m sure the “transaction block” didn’t make it to every store…

19. Trackback says:

Gap’s newest ad campaign has made it to Red Hook. Photo via Racked Flickr Pool Local · Bay Ridge may get a Home Depot [Brooklyn Eagle] National · Barnes & Noble won’t carry O.J. Simpson’s book [Crain’s] · Vena Cava just launched a website [Jargol] · A look at Roberto Cavalli’s…

20. CumaeanSibyl says:

@quantum-shaman: Yes, but then the puppy would catch on fire.

21. Chongo says:

I’ll make sure to pick up a bag of this stuff in a month when I go on my regular nazi propoganda shopping spree

22. adamondi says:

@trai_dep: My sentiment exactly. I want to feel bad for the woman, but I just can’t muster up the pity necessary due to my hatred of all things small and yappy.

23. gtr225 says:

@lestat730: Yup and we have all those cheap Wal-Mart shoppers to blame. The funny thing is when those people are out of work because all the jobs have gone overseas, they’ll be the first to complain. Then they’ll go buy a $2 pack of socks made in china with their unemployment check.

24. nctrnlboy says:

@gtr225:

Everyone needs socks! Now if it were cigs & beer….

Anyway..I am suprised walmart even offered her anything… or even acknowleged her existance. Often times companies think it is somehow an admission of guilt to even respond. I wouldnt blame her if she sued. Walmart is responsible for the products they sell…. especially poisonous ones.

25. MrEvil says:

In Texas, pets are considered livestock. Awards in court cases are usually for the “market value” of the animal and no more. In the case of a Heinz 57 dog it’s generally nothing. Pedigreed animals are usually worth their original purchase price.

I don’t know of any AKC Chihuahua breeder that gets $2000 a pup…except maybe the one Paris Hilton buys from.

26. pirate_mel7504 says:

The more i see and hear, the more i’m embarrassed to admit I’m a Walmart employee. The store I work at was sent an e-mail about recalling the Bestro brand jerky at the end of June, and was in fact pulled on the spot (we still have a copy of dated e-mail hanging in Receiving as a reminder to toss the product if we see it). What really sickens me is other stores are so pathetically petty as to losing a buck, they’d rather leave tainted food on the shelves until people lose their beloved family pets and then say, “oops, something’s wrong with the food.”

27. scottbushee says:

Two problems:

First, The major recall was from an American plant:

[en.wikipedia.org]

Second, Even Walmartwatch.com has posted an article that states:

“FDA spokeswoman Kimberly Rawlings said Wednesday the agency was “actively” investigating Wal-Mart’s products in light of the store’s pulling the items from its shelves.

“We have tested numerous samples of chicken jerky pet treats for possible contaminants including melamine,” she said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. “To date we have NOT detected any contaminants. We are continuing to test.”

She also stated:
    She also said the FDA had reviewed Wal-Mart’s lab report that mentions 20 parts per million of melamine. “This level of melamine would not be expected to result in any animal illness,” Rawlings said.

28. GeneandGerri says:

Our pet Rosie, a 3 year old Chihuahua was poisoned from Chinese made Bestro’s Jerky Chicken Strips #77849 00006 1 We have this contaminated bag. We have three Chihuahuas and one of them died one month ago. She
    started with vomiting and dehydration and then we were told she may either have an obstruction or have been poisioned. Since our dogs are inside dogs and we are with them at all times outside we thought it was an obstruction. Finally the doctor
    said he was almost positive it was some kind of poisoning at Elwood Animal
    Clinic in Glendora, California. They were going to scope her but before that
    could happen she died July 21, at VCA in Fountain Valley, California.
    We gave our dogs Waggin train and Bestro’s Jerky Chicken Strips. Our Sweet Rosie (our chihuahua that passed) loved them and and she would eat all the treats we put down for the other dogs too. Up until today we never had any idea what happened but now with Wal Mart pulling this quietly from their selves. (I brought my treats at Wal Mart, Glendora, California) I truly believe that is why she died. We called Wal Mart and are getting a run around. We need help. We are totally heartbroken and will never forget Our Sweet Gypsy Rose!
    Since Wal Mart had this problem before, why didn’t they pull all that Chinese junk off the first time? Our Rosie will still be alive! Is Wal Mart concerned about people and their Pets or Money? You figured it out.
    Boycott China and Wal Mart