Point And Click Appliance Repair Refunds Part Of Your Shipping Fee Because You Live Nearby

I recently had the dryer belt on my Maytag dryer break (it’s 5 years old, it happens.) Rather than pay a repairman $50-$75 just to look at it, I decided to try following the advice from some online appliance repair forums. Turns out, it was really easy to get the dryer open and replacing it should be a breeze, but I still needed to get a new belt. A quick google search pointed me to an online retailer: http://www.pcappliancerepair.com. They had the part listed for $14.51, but since I don’t have any clothes clean I opted for 2 business day rush delivery at a rate of $15.95 instead of the 3-7 business day rate of $7.25.

To my surprise, I received this email this morning:

Due to the close proximity of our shipping warehouse, we have adjusted the freight charge on your order to reflect the ground shipping charge of $7.25. The part(s) will arrive in the same required days by the less expensive shipping method.

Your total final invoice will be $21.76.

A tracking number will be emailed to you later today or in the morning.

Yours truly,
Jayne
Point and Click Appliance Repair
Customer Service

Wow, they could have easily pocketed the extra shipping cost, and I would have never known. Because my last dryer belt lasted 5 years, it’s unlikely that I’m going to be a huge customer for them. Yet they still went above and beyond on this one. It may have only saved me $8.70, but it sure did put a huge smile on my face.

Nicholas

Most companies inflate shipping costs and pocket the lucre to help keep their prices competitive. For Point and Click Appliance Repair to voluntarily forego easy cash is certainly worthy of commendation, as is Nicholas’ decision to turn what could be a potentially pricey repair into an affordable DIY project.

Comments

1. horned_frog says:

I hope they send you the right part!!!

2. AcidReign says:

I’ve had good luck, in the past, using these folk:

[fixitnow.com]

Lots of good pictures and directions, and they usually have my model. Even got free fridge magnets!

3. aiya says:

Bravo!

4. scoobydoo says:

I’ve always used repairclinic.com, same good service. If only the same could be said for the damned appliances that keep breaking :(

5. PhillipC says:

I recently order a part for my dishwasher for Point and Click Appliance Repair and received similar treatment. Above and Beyond indeed.

6. timmus says:

(My last comment did not appear, so I am posting a follow-up comment, which forces it to appear instantly. If I don’t do this, the post never appears on the site at all. This is a continuing problem I am having with Consumerist.)

7. timmus says:

Ok, crap, it ate the comment. Forget it. Grr.

8. raybury says:

Worked out in this case, but there have been times where I needed it not just by the same day less-costly ground shipping would get it there, but by the a certain time in the morning, which might justify the higher cost for me.

9. Jean Naimard says:

(Can’t believe the guy doesn’t live near an appliance part store)…

10. Alger says:

One of the things that really annoys me about online purchases is how few vendors actually tell you the location they’re shipping from. If I knew, say, that they were located in my home state, I could always just pay for ground transport, knowing that I’d generally get overnight delivery anyhow.

And then I’d feel happier about making the decision to pay for faster delivery – especially if I’m looking at a looong truck ride across the country.

11. yg17 says:

@Alger: Yeah, it sucks. I wish more companies told you where it shipped from.

There are a few companies I purchase from because I know they’re within UPS’s 1 day ground shipping zone and I can pay for ground and still get it overnight. I’m impatient, what can I say? :D

12. ChristopherDavis says:

@yg17: I do the same. I recently bought an iPod accessory from B&H (in Brooklyn), which helpfully puts a map of the UPS ground shipping times on their website. Since Boston is in the 1-day area, I didn’t have to pay for a more expensive shipping option.

13. Helvetian says:

Wonderful service, as much as I like Amazon, they keep the money. Pay for second day or next day, and if the warehouse is close by, they send it Ground. Yes it still gets here, but please don’t charge me $21.95 for shipping when you’re using Ground. Either send it Overnight or 2nd Day, as I paid or at least pass (some of) the savings on to me.

14. Now, THAT’S above and beyond! Good on Point and Click Appliance Repair.

@JeanNaimard: Seriously?

15. Blueskylaw says:

Hall of Fame candidate and NO steroids!

16. Chicago7 says:

Because I live near downtown Chicago, I ALWAYS get the cheapest shipping available. The goods usually get to me within 2 days anyway. Occasionally, I receive packages the next day with the cheapest shipping.

17. marsneedsrabbits says:

Point and Click Appliance Repair has been bookmarked. Great service!

18. tazzy531 says:

That’s the total opposite of Pentagon Paid $998,798 to Ship Two 19-Cent Washers. A small parts supplier in SC charged $998,798.00 for shipping two 19-cent washers.

19. njtrout says:

I’ve used these resources as well for appliance repairs. Washing machines and dryers are amazingly simple to repair yourself. Parts are very inexpensive vs service calls, travel charges etc from repair companies. FYI, I don’t touch anything that is part of the house electrical system or the propane gas feed into the house.

[www.selfhelpandmore.com]
    [www.applianceblog.com]

My Personal Favorite:
    [www.repairclinic.com]

NJTrout

20. Anonymous says:

These guys sent a part to me in an inappropriately large box for which there was $23 postage due. When I finally got through to them, they investigated and immediately refunded me the postage due (which was more than the part). A very conscientious company, high praise. And the part was just what I needed as well!

21. Anonymous says: