MetLife "Accidentally" Drops Insurance Right Before Car Accident

“My girlfriend Lindsey recently purchased a brand-spanking new Toyota Yaris, which she affectionately refers to as “Yar-i.” This car was a much needed sigh of relief after a string of terrible lemon cars for her. This thing was her pride and joy. Along with buying the car, she signed up for MetLife car insurance for $900 to cover herself for about 9 months.

Fast forward to May and Lindsey receives a nice letter in the mail from MetLife stating that because of a “Policy Change” she would have to pay an additional $70 dollars. She was a little confused because the guy at the dealership said she wouldn’t have to spend an extra penny until after the 9 months. The same day, she called MetLife and the guy on the other line said that he’d “take care of it.” Problem solved? Yeah right….”

A month later, she gets another notice, this time for $95. So this time she goes back to the dealership, to the guy that originally sold her the insurance. He gets on the phone with the same guy that “took care of it” last time and says it was a big misunderstanding but he’ll take off the charges.

The next month, she gets another bill stating that show now owes $70. After getting this in the mail, we promptly headed over to the dealership and talked to the guy that sold her the original insurance. He appeared to be as surprised as we were at the mysterious charge on the statement. After a brief phone call to the same guy, Lindsey is assured that its all taken care of. End of story? nooo…

Lindsey gets another notice in the mail stating that if she didn’t pay this charge, her account would be dropped. So with the prospect of not being insured, she gets on the phone with MetLife again. (Has anyone ever mentioned how long it takes to talk to someone on the phone there??) So she proceeds to talk to Ted and explain the situation, he says that the charge was from a previous insurer’s discount and it would be taken off and she would be “squared away.” Not his exact words.

According to Murphy’s Law (as well as Consumerist Law), if something could possibly go wrong, it most likely will go wrong. Like…a car accident…

Over the past 3 months that I’ve been living with Lindsey, she has also let me drive her car when I I’ve needed it. Since this is a temporary living situation, she did not consider to cover me on her insurance. Bad move number one. Then, I got in a minor side swipe accident. The damage was more severe on my car, than hers, but I took full responsibility. The swipe left a nice 8″ red streak on her suv and a small dent on Lindsey’s red Yaris.

Now heres the kicker, after contacting MetLife to get a quote for the damage, they said that they normally would be able to cover her and the suv’s damage, but since they dropped Lindsey for a week after she didn’t pay the bill, they wouldn’t be able to. The best they could offer was that they would be able to put her back on her policy in a couple days, which wouldn’t cover any previous damages.

Now the owner of the suv is demanding $1000 for the supposed damage (the red streak) and we don’t have an insurance company to get an honest quote on the damages.

Great, thanks a lot MetLife. All Lindsey got for her $900 was a false sense of security. What good is insurance if they conveniently drop your coverage during an accident??

Sorry the story is so long. Thanks for all your help in the past.

Sincerely,
Jeremy

We’re not sure what the official name is but you shouldn’t be responsible for 5 or so computer errors. We suggest hiring a lawyer to write a nice scary letter to MetLife. They’re not going to take you seriously otherwise. Findlegalhelp.org offers a good state-by-state lawyer lookup service, or you can call your local bar association and ask for recommendations. Then cc your complaints to your State Department of Insurance, the BBB and the AG’s office. Metlife’s mascot is Snoopy, go Red Baron on their asses.

Comments

1. Buran says:

The Red Baron was finally shot down by a guy on the ground with a rifle who got a really lucky shot.

2. acasto says:

Insurance companies are getting more pathetic by the day. My mom’s health insurance dropped her when she needed it because they said she didn’t disclose that she got migraines. She’s never been diagnosed with migraines or any problem that causes migraines, she’s just had migraines before, but then again so have I and every other person I know. So they were able to avoid paying for anything, and get more money out of her to bring her back on the policy again. They have it setup to where unless you tell them about every time you’ve had a sniffle, sneeze, or headache, they’ll weasel their way out of everything. Complete scum is what I think of all of ‘em.

3. Squeezer99 says:

Actually its unclear who shot the red barron. From the position he was shot at and the direction of the bullet it could of came from either of two guys. one guy was firing a bolt action SMLE rifle and the other had a lewis machine gun. most sources credit the lewis machine gunner since he had a much higher rate of fire, but both shot .303 ammunition, so we’ll never know.

4. Techguy1138 says:

$1000 for a paint job isn’t really out of line for an 8″ scratch provided it broke the suv’s paint.

It will be cheaper to settle this directly with the suv owner of insurance won’t cover it. Otherwise you will pay for the damage to the SUV and the insurance companies overhead and lawyer.

5. queen_elvis says:

Sounds like insurance bad faith lawsuit time. Call the local/county bar association and ask for referrals to trial lawyers.

6. SOhp101 says:

Not sure if you know much about cars/car paint but it sounds like as long as there wasn’t any dents in the SUV it should be buffable, but I guess we wouldn’t be able to tell w/o pictures of the damage.

Buying insurance from a car dealership is laughable. THAT was your mistake #1.

But if the accident happened after/before the week that your friend supposedly didn’t have insurance, that shouldn’t matter at all. They should still cover it.

7. JohnMc says:

Not only should she get a scary lawyer, but she should also send a copy of what she just sent to consumerist to the State insurance commissioner where she resides. The commissioner will certainly have some fun with this one too. Here in Texas they give the insurance companies hell if they pull a stunt like this.

8. cryrevolution says:

@SOhp101: Sorry to say, it DOES matter. Insurance companies are NOTORIOUS for not allowing coverage even A DAY after coverage has been cancelled. They’re lucky if they are even ABLE to file a claim. I work in claims for an insurance co. and most insurance claims systems won’t let you file a claim if it didn’t fall between the policies effective and cancellation dates. And even if they are able to, they’ll get a nice little letter stating “no coverage”. Its a stupid thing, and I hope she really does stick it to MetLife and/or the dealership. This just plain sucks.

9. Cowboys_fan says:

That really sucks, this happens all too much. You can have insurance, you just can’t use it. Either you get denied, or they simply drop you altogether. I know 2 people who were dropped for 2 (minor) claims each w/in 2 years.

10. chrispiss says:

My insurance agent, while a bit absent minded, is really good. A similar situation happened to me, except my car was broken into. It was a few months after I had bought it, and I went to report the claim and it ended up they never added it to my policy, even after I called my agent. Anyway long story short, they added it to the policy and covered the damage, and didn’t even make me back pay those three months! It was awesome.

Sucks for this girl though :P

11. Bourque77 says:

@Techguy1138: What kind of paint is going on that car? My friend just had his entire hood painted at a dealership for $250.

12. Buran says:

@Squeezer99: Check out the Unsolved History (History Channel) episode on this… it’s a really good look at it. PBS also has a Nova episode on the matter.

13. Buran says:

@Bourque77: Depends on where the scratch is, what type of car, and what kind of paint.

One that’s really hard to work on is Audis with that white pearlescent stuff you can’t get anymore. Aluminum plus really tough to match paint.

Then throw in the scratch maybe being in a part that can’t just be removed from the car, and having to blend in the repaint, etc.

Hoods are easy.

14. SOhp101 says:

@cryrevolution: From the sound of the author’s story it sounds like they reinstated her policy after the $70 problem from his story.

15. Buran says:

@cryrevolution: She was covered. They were just too stupid to quit screwing things up. She was well within the coverage date.

16. cryrevolution says:

@SOhp101: Yeah that’s what they should’ve done. But seeing how this ended, they didn’t. And sadly, it’s going to be tough working around that fee and the cancellation, no matter if they correctly reinstate her now or not. Usually when a policy is cancelled or not renewed, the system automatically cancels it and no claims after the cancellation can be made, unless made unverified with no policy #. So, it looks like the person didn’t in fact reinstate her. :

17. chrispiss says:

@Bourque77: It’s not the paint it’s the body and prep work that costs so much. I was quoted $600 for a scrape on my front bumper because it gouged the plastic.

18. cryrevolution says:

@Buran: I hope she is covered. I was just explaining how they got a cancellation so early. A lot of times its just some goon in some dept that doesn’t know the situation who cancels it or the system itself.

19. TickedOff says:

I don’t know what state she’s in but in California this could be “easy” to solve. When the agent says you’re covered and covered on the terms required by you, the dealer and the finance company – they can’t go back on it even if it’s an error that might cost them money because it’s already a contract even with “oral bonding” you with insurance at the dealer. The doesn’t mean they won’t try to bluff their way into getting you to pay; they just don’t have a legal basis if you fight it. Changing the T’s&C’s midstream like this case would be illegal in CA. They may have some fine print to avoid the contract issues but maybe they don’t. California has pretty strong consumer-protection oriented insurance laws and insurance commission compared to most other states so all bets are off elsewhere.

I had a situation vaguely like this (without the accident to complicate things) where I was quoted one price before I bought a new car but the first statement had another, much higher price after I’d purchased (it’s similar because it’s a Terms and Conditions thing).

After I didn’t get satisfaction with their call center or with my agent, I called up the insurance company headquarters, asked for the region or area sales manager and threatened breach of contract and contributory 3rd party damages to a contract due to negligence (don’t know the legal term; I’m not a lawyer, but I’d seen my employer’s legal dept use the same angle with a vendor shortly before) – the gist of it was I bought the new car on good faith based on the initially quoted rate and would not have been able to afford the car and thus would not have even made the purchase if I had been informed of the “correct” rate in a timely fashion. For whatever reason (it doesn’t matter why they messed up) they failed to be timely and the supposed “misinformation” affected my purchase decision. Therefore if they were going to hold me to that new rate I was going to sue both the company and their agent personally (outside the suit against the corporation) for damages. They backed down almost immediately.

The agent got some grief but I got the original quoted rate so it turned out ok in the end.

20. Snarkysnake says:

Okay,this is a bad situation for the customer and I hope that she gets out of it with as little damage as possible,but for everyone else,there is a great lesson here:

The next time you hear some blowhard Republican or “conservative” or “libertarian” blathering on and on about how we need “tort reform” or we need to “rein in the out of control trial lawyers” remember this story. What these people are really saying is that business should be free to wipe their ….uh,feet on the little guy and be answerable to bought and paid for politicians. (Indeed,they are trying desperately to scuttle the reform of abusive mandatory arbitration that they have written into their terms of service,effectively taking away a right that is enumerated in the constitution).There really is going to be a backlash against abusive business practices one of these days and when it happens,these giant companies will be brought to heel. Can’t wait.

21. SOhp101 says:

@Snarkysnake: Great job on politicizing this discussion!

22. realserendipity says:

Im an insurance agent which I knows put me in the “evil” insurance category for most but it gives me a different perspective on all this.

First thing Im hitting is buying insurance at a dealership, bad move. Your just easy prey because you need insurance and will take whatever they give you without knowing how covered you are.
    The second thing concerning is a 9 month policy. I dont know anyone who writes a policy like that. Its 6 months or a year with installments either monthly or quarterly.
    The “previous insurance discout” is common. Not really a discount as much as a penalty if you didnt carry coverage prior.
    She needs to get copies of it all together to find out her real effective dates, The covereage she thinks she has, and document all these calls.
    Then contact the insurance commisioner.

23. critical_matt says:

Hmm. Well, my first guess on the changing rate is that she didn’t disclose an accident or ticket when she first took out the policy. Generally the insurance company will issue the policy on *your* good word, and when they run the credit and your mvr the company will find you have an accident or some tickets that will affect your rate, hence the increased premium. There are some other things are not totally clear here. How often is the boyfriend driving the car, why isn’t he on the policy (is he too high a risk), etc. Believe it or not, paying a claim is a lot less of a headache than trying to deny one. Trust me on that.

24. GearheadGeek says:

GET. IT. IN. WRITING.

Unless/until you have a good working relationship with an agent, you never ever take such things for granted. New car, new policy with a new insurance company, the exact coverage, premiums and terms should be in writing before you think you’re covered.

I’m a little more analytic about my car buying (I’ve never bought a car from a dealer without first researching all sorts of things INCLUDING how it will affect my insurance rates) but I’d recommend talking to your agent before you buy the car, some cars are more expensive to insure than others. That’s not the issue here, obviously, but it’s a good approach.

I second REALSERENDIPITY’s thumbs-down opinion of buying insurance from your car dealer. It’s generally good advice not to buy ANYTHING but the car from your dealer (no financing unless you’re sure they have the best overall terms, no extended warranties, no “gap coverage”, nothing.)

Sorry Jeremy and Lindsey are having a bad time of it, but their lax approach and reliance on verbal promises (ESPECIALLY those of someone working at a car dealership!) has made a bad situation worse. Hopefully MetLife will chose to keep their business and throw them a bone, but I wouldn’t bet my mortgage payment on THAT happening. In the absence of good written documentation, I wouldn’t put any serious money on a bet that they’ll prevail in a legal action, either.

25. GearheadGeek says:

On another note, the “headline” on this is misleading and prejudicial. Insurance companies are definitely in the business of taking as much of your money as they can and avoiding any payout they legally can, they’re NOT your friend. However, it seems that Jeremy and Lindsey had good reason to expect there to be problems with her coverage, and Met Life had given them lots of signals INCLUDING a letter of cancellation. Letter says “we’ll cancel you if you don’t pay X.” They didn’t get a letter rescinding that notice of cancellation (at least not that they mentioned in the posting) and they didn’t pay the amount demanded… In that situation it would be safest to assume no coverage, regardless of what some customer service agent might tell you on the phone.

26. pinkbunnyslippers says:

a) please don’t buy insurance at a dealership in the future

b) don’t take “Ted”s word for anything. you want policy information IN WRITING. No ifs, ands or buts.

c) 9 month policy? Any agency I know writes them in 6 month intervals. Do some research on something before you buy it so you know what’s “shady” and what’s normal. Because 9 months is “shady”.

d) they didn’t “conveniently drop her during an accident”. They dropped her after repeated letters to her explaining they would if such and such wasn’t paid, and she took the word of some schlomo who said he’d “take care of it”, but then never asked for proof that he did.

I’m really sorry this happened – I’ve been in 4 car accidents in the last year and a half (don’t ask) so I know all about the typical insurance carrier runarounds. Please, if you take anything from this situation, know that you need to be your own advocate and not assume that some assclown named Ted is going to be.

27. Snakeophelia says:

“I’m really sorry this happened – I’ve been in 4 car accidents in the last year and a half (don’t ask)….”

Wow, I didn’t know Lindsay Lohan posted on Consumerist!

Oh, and to not have gotten the rescinding of the cancellation in writing? Bad move. As I understand things, this poor girl has four or five letters demanding money and threatening cancellation, and no documentation at all that this was the insurance company’s fault. Why would a lawyer even take that case?

28. chimmike says:

9 month policies? What good company in their right mind sells a 9 month policy?

First: Consider this a learning experience. You got NOTHING in writing stating the charges were being removed, all you did was hear “it’s being taken care of” and you went on your merry way. Not smart.
    Second: Going back to the dealership to deal with insurance problems=idiotic. They’re ALL there simply to make money. They put the insurance agent in the dealer to secure a sale without worrying about insurance (as shown by this, you didn’t secure insurance beforehand…..and probably SEVERELY overpaid). You should have called MetLife underwriting directly, gotten an explanation of the charge, and something in writing stating they were removing the charge.

Next time, shop around first, too! Metlife is expensive…..

29. toddkravos says:

This individual is MUCH better off contacting the
    state’s department of insurance and filing a complaint.

Insurance companies are required to
    respond to the complaints from the states DOI in a certain time frame (read: quicker than an attorney or customer complaint) and often end in getting funky matters such as this resolved because insurance companies are regulated by the state’s DOI, the more complaints on file, the more likely they will be looked at a little more closely by that state’s DOI.

30. dwarf74 says:

First off – I completely agree with everything Realserendipity said, above. The dealership insurance and 9-month policies are shady as hell. Myself, I work for an insurance company as well, and actually handled escalated billing calls such as this one.

First and foremost, why didn’t you quit these bozos and go someplace better when you ran into so many problems? Moving on, though…

Right now, you need to find every single piece of paper they mailed you from start to finish. Get your declarations page together, get all the correspondence they mailed, and use it for your proof. If they sent you a real cancellation notice, it would have been sent certificate of mail, and they’ll have proof they fulfilled their legal obligations to inform you of cancellation.

Sadly, unless you can find real documentation of your correspondence, you’re operating at a disadvantage. Good luck… Definitely call the insurance commission; they (and courts) usually find in favor of the insureds for most disputes. Lack of a paper trail could hurt your case, though.

31. MeOhMy says:

@toddkravos: Yes! Call whatever agency in your state regulates insurers.

For future reference, don’t buy insurance at a car dealership (Didn’t even know you could do that?!) and don’t use MetLife. They are awful.

32. Little Miss Moneybags says:

Even if he can prove that the car was covered during the accident, the writer admits that HE was not covered by that policy at any point, and HE was the one driving. The insurance company has absolutely no responsibility to handle this matter. It would be cheaper to settle with the woman (for the *exact* cost of fixing the paint, not a rounded-off number of $1,000). Note to the writer: there are no “supposed damages”. You admit you sideswiped her car, you admit there is an eight-inch long streak of red paint on her car. You damaged her car, she wants it fixed, you are responsible for it. Not the insurance company, not your girlfriend. Quit whining.

HOWEVER, a totally separate issue is the company’s failing to live up to the terms of the agreement. The car’s owner should have the original agreement in writing, document the rest of her experiences (aside from this ridiculous situation), and file a complaint with her state’s insurance commissioner. In the meantime, she should shop around and get her own insurance (and put her boyfriend on it if he’s going to be any kind of regular driver of her vehicle).

33. Chaosium says:

Best of luck to her, but jesus, don’t sign up for ANYTHING at a dealership.

34. MeOhMy says:

@Scarfish:

Not necessarily true…some (many?) policies cover incidents in which you loaned your car to someone else on a one-off basis even if that person was not named on his own policy.

Of course if they find out this person was driving your car regularly or living in your home and is not named on the policy then you might still be up the creek…and Jeremy does state that he has been living with Lindsey for the past 3 months and driving her car when necessary.

35. E-Bell says:

I didn’t even know that car dealerships offered insurance (other than GAP insurance).

Many states require that a notice of cancellation be sent to the insured in writing at least X number of days before the cancellation occurs.

Also, it probably doesn’t matter that the insured’s roommate is not covered under the policy. Usually, there will be coverage for permissive users of the car.

Consult with a lawyer, but don’t hold your breath. This is a relatively small amount of money; she probably won’t find a lawyer who is willing to take the case unless she agrees to pay by the hour, which will be prohibitively expensive. I think the best she can hope for is to have the lawyer write a nasty letter.

36. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

You were driving the car, don’t you have insurance?

37. rawsteak says:

why is everyone blaming the insurance company? sure they are cheap and manipulative sometimes, but the second time she went back to her dealer is when she messed up. you can’t think someone else is going to take care of you, ESPECIALLY with money and cars and stuff. Stuff like that you handle on your own.

at the very least i would call and say, “hey, my car dealer is handling it… no? there’s not record of anyone calling you about this… cancellation imminent…? ok, your check is in the mail, sorry for the trouble”

38. cryrevolution says:

Most likely the drivers insurance would only default if there were injuries, or the owner’s insurance didn’t cover the amount of damage there was. But…on second thought…the driver should contact THEIR insurance co and see if they can be found liable at all. Its the LEAST the driver can do, just ask.

And in response to Scarfish, the owner’s insurance insures any drivers of the vehicle. It follows the car no matter who drives it, if used WITH permission. Since the insurance co. INSURES this vehicle, they DO have responsibility to this vehicle. Well, thats if they get all this mess straightened out. But, it looks like she didn’t get this in writing so….its a tough situation.

39. kelbear says:

Perhaps taking a crack at them through a small-claims court would work? Clearly legal help is required at this point.

40. JayXJ says:

Getting insurance through the agent that works through a particular dealership is not always a bad thing–if you do your homework. Check with your own insurance company (Company X is offering me insurance that is $95 cheaper, per 6 month period, for the same coverage. Can you top that?) and call the insurance company the agent is representing independantly to make sure his offer is legit.

41. TechnoDestructo says:

@Cowboys_fan:

My mom had a string of mostly minor, some very major claims with Progressive over the course of several years (7 of them involving people hitting her car while it was parked, including one where the car was totalled, and one involving incompetence on my brother’s part in which the car was totalled) and they’ve never complained a bit.

When I wrecked my Miata, they gave me a good price for it, and when I got another car (a beater) the CSR who signed me up for my new coverage worked their system (signing up for a new policy rather than renewing the old one with lower coverages) so that my rates didn’t increase significantly. (I had never had a claim before, so that probably helped)

So I heartily recommend Progressive. The only issue I take with them is something which may not apply just to them…that they would only sell me insurance in 6 month increments, and to get anything else, like dropping insurance for a month while my car lay dormant while I was out of the country; or to get insured for 9 months because I was leaving the country another time, I had to do stuff like let my coverage expire then renew it when I got back, and get a refund for the unused time on the policy.

For the service my family and I have received though, I think those inconveniences are a small price to pay.

Also they’ve been among the cheapest companies I’ve gotten quotes from whenever I was shopping, and were usually quoting me HALF what Geico did. Unless things really turn around there, they’ve got a customer for life in me.

42. Elladen says:

Sounds like you were given several notices to pay an outstanding balance but you did not. They were well within their rights to terminate your policy for nonpayment. Sounds like they also had grounds to deny the claim for a non disclosed household driver.

Some insurance policies don’t cover “guest” drivers at all. The fact that you were living with her shows you were defrauding the insurance company for free coverage.

Why would you bother buying insurance from the dealership? If you have a car with comprehensive and collision coverage already on it, most insurance companies will give you a 2 – 30 day grace period to add the new vehicle. That means you had plenty of time to contact your agent after the sale of the car.

I know this because I just bought a new suv and according to my policy I have 30 days to contact them to add my new vehicle to the policy.

Also, most insurance companies give you a “Quote” of what the policy should cost. It is not a guarantee that it won’t go up. If you lied about your driving history and when they ran your clue report or your credit report you could have been moved to a lower tier based on poor credit or previous accidents. Both are valid reasons to increase your premium.

You have the right to dispute a charge, and the right to find out exactly what the increase is for. BUT, if they say pay $70 or your policy will be cancelled, MOST responsible people would pay it to make sure they were maintaining their coverage and then dispute it.

Since you were cancelled, good luck finding affordable insurance now! Of course, based on your post, it seems like you have no trouble defrauding insurance companies.

PS: she wasn’t accidentally dropped, she was dropped for not paying her bill. There is a big difference.

43. par4bri says:

This is typical of why insurance has a bad name. Do not get me wrong, there are many bad faith insurance companies out there, however; these people are not willing to take self accountability.

They did not have a “nine month policy” they had an annual policy on a nine payment plan. I have been a MetLife auto and home policy holder for eleven years. My agent, customer service, and claims are the best in the industry. MetLife pulls all reports before processing a policy, therefore; the only thing that could have changed the rate is something the insured falsified, such as prior insurance information. This is nobody’s fault other than the insured’s. They should have paid the bill.

This is how ten percent of the insurance consumers ruin it for the rest of us. Not disclosing a driver in the household means the insurance company was not collectiing the premium, however has to pay the claim. This multiplied by many similar circumstances puts the insurance company in a position of more claims paying out than premium coming in. This stupidity on behalf of the insured increases rates for all of us.

Think about what you people are saying. A consumer can ignore a bill, pay late, or not pay at all; and then have the nerve to be upset when a claim is not paid. How long would you work if your employer was not paying you?

Yes, you guessed it. I am an insurance agent. I sell products for over fifteen major insurance carriers, and I will always recommend a client to MetLife.

Uneducated, dishonest, and uninformed people are always the first to bitch. Customer who pay their bills and do the right thing are happy customers. People who do not pay their bills and who are dishonest are always the first to bitch. This is true with any industry. If you are in sales of any type, think about this and you will agree if you are honest with yourself.

In eleven years, I have NEVER had a premium change with ANY insurance carrier which was “just a mistake”. So much of this story does not reflect the truth.

Also, knowing MetLife, this customer was worked with and the claim was settled. Where is the the appology and folluw up story to rectify MetLife’s good name.

Typical of society. Care only about yourself and getting what you want and screw the rest!

44. par4bri says:

You are an uneducated idiot!

45. Anonymous says:

I am sorry to hear about the accident Jeremy. I am an agent for MetLife Auto&Home. The thing that strikes me as odd with your situation is that we do not have dealerships that sell insurance… So whoever you spoke with at the dealership did not actually sell Lindsey the policy. I do know what the 25$ extra charge was for ($70 increased to 90$); this is a late pay fee if you do not pay the bill on time… pretty common place. The $70 increase sounds like Lindsey did not recieve the election or rejection forms for uninsured motorists, and or PIP coverage. Either this was the case, or she did not send them in(they come standard in the policy packet when it first arrives showing to send them back in the pre-paid envelope). The state insurance commisioners require certain forms to be filled out in accordance with the issued insurance policy. If these forms are not recieved, MetLife will add the coverage amount to your policy, as it was not rejected or elected at a lower than standard amount (no form recieved).

Lindseys policy lapsed, and the policy canceled. My guess is that you did not actually pay the 900$ up front on a yearly term, or if you did, the nine months went by, and the bill went out, and Lindsey did not pay it. It was wrong for the person at the dealership to brush you asside when you called with a question regarding the policy that he/she had aquired for you via a MetLife agent. They should have directed you to customer service or the actual agent that wrote the policy. You did say that you spoke with someone from MetLife, I would be interested to find out more about this, as we are highly rated for customer service. No one would say that it is “taken care of” unless you sign a form, which is company policy, and required for a customer service agent to change coverage. This part of your explanation is hard to believe.

However, MetLife did not have computer errors etc. The bill went out, was not paid, the policy lapsed, you had an accident, the damages are not covered…

46. kate says:

Firstly when we purchase a car the first & foremost thing to do is go for the car insurance. There are different sites where we can get the best information about the car insurance and its schemes/policies. Rather going to some fake car dealer, this would be a great idea where we can know more about the schemes and also solve our queries with the insurance company.