Great Moments In Commercial History: Miller Dodge

Reader Dave write:
I was watching TV last night and saw the new ‘Credit Pimp’ ad…my first thought was to Consumerist! I drive past this place at least a few times a week, but each time I always make sure to keep an eye out for the credit pimp! I know I’d want magical credit pimping powers, but you guys at Consumerist seem to have them all…

Thank you, Dave. We do, in fact, have a (potentially) illegal monopoly on magical credit pimping. We’re that good. Don’t tell Miller Dodge.

If you enjoyed this Independence Day themed Credit Pimp ad, Miller Dodge’s website has more.

If you’d like to nominate a commercial for our weekly series “Great Moments In Commercial History” send us an email at tips [at] consumerist [dot] com. Be sure to put “Great Moments In Commercial History” in the subject. To see other commercials that have been featured in the series, click here.

Comments

1. Manok says:

Pure comedy gold. All we need now is geek squad to install that free plasma tv!

2. Falconfire says:

Im sorry, but anyone who talks like Mike Tyson should not be pretending to be a “pimp”

3. twoback says:

I think more than a few americans out there wish they could ax their credit.

4. maevro says:

I’m sorry, you had me at free plasma tv.

Sweet suit.

5. mrjimbo19 says:

You could have warned me that I would need sunglasses to watch that commercial…

6. Hoss says:

Subprime — its not only for home buyers. Pimp our credit!

7. homerjay says:

Wow, way to perpetuate that stereotype, dude.

8. MisterE says:

Sigh… Another black stereotype appealing to the uneducated ghettos of the inner city. If a middle aged white guy wanted to “pimp” someone’s credit, I’m sure all the liberals would smear the company as racist and derogatory. Blacks always get a free pass when it comes to race.

9. drjayphd says:

@MisterE: Yes. You’ve just figured out a world-wide conspiracy. The entire universe would have never known that everything that ever existed was meant to hold down Whitey if you didn’t just point it out on this post. Guess it’s back to the drawing board.

10. lpranal says:

@MisterE: what, so, you’re saying there are no white pimps? Also, am I the only person who’s seen a real live pimp in person? The one I saw was dressed pretty much exactly like the credit pimp. And while I can’t prove that it wasn’t really the credit pimp visiting NYC after going on 3 rounds of atkins and a crack binge or 2, let’s just say I have my doubts.

And, clearly, by the size of his enormous superimposed visage hovering over the ENTIRE city of philadelphia, he wants to pimp the whole city, not just the ghettos. And if giant credit pimps, of ANY color want to take over our cities, well sir, what you have right there is the American Dream itself.

11. DeeJayQueue says:

actually, this commercial is kind of weird considering that Miller Dodge is in Springfield, PA. It’s a pretty upper-middle class split-level suburban type of place, hardly what you’d call a Ghetto.

12. B says:

I’ve seen these ads somewhere before. Possibly on Jalopnik?

13. jaredgood1 says:

Enjoy it while you can, Miller Dodge. Viacom trademarked “Pimp My …” and has been suing people using variations of it.

14. Phuturephunk says:

@MisterE:

Whats your point? So because this guy is using horrible tactics to sell cars, its only fair to allow everyone else to be a bunch of racist motherfuckers?

Just admit that you thought it was better when that kind of behavior was acceptable in public.

I never get these equivalency arguments.

15. LeopardSeal says:

@lpranal: Nice. Your credit pimp sighting made me laugh out loud.