OJ Simpson’s “confession” If I Did It will finally be published, with all proceeds going to the Goldman family. The book will also feature their commentary. [Time]

Comments

1. Cowboys_fan says:

Why is this linked to a blog and not the actual news story? I guess I should publish this on another site and link here.
    As for the murderer, this is a joke. I much preferred the Goldman’t title “Confessions of a serial killer”. Who in their right mind would release such a book. IMO, this makes him look even more guilty. (What a dumbass jury that was). Its too bad Lee Harvey Oswald isn’t around to publish a similiar book.

2. NoNamesLeft says:

Sounds like a money grab to me. Why don’t they give all of the money to a battered woman’s fund?

/didn’t rtfa

3. ThyGuy says:

WTF?! So her parents are taking money from a book about how he would have killed her, “If he did it.”

So they’re taking blood money that was made from their daughters demise?!

4. letoofdune says:

@Cowboys_fan:

Its too bad Lee Harvey Oswald isn’t around to publish a similiar book.

You mean LBJ, the Masons, and the founders of Bumblebee Tuna, right?

/Just kidding, it was the Tequila Workers Union of Mexico.

5. acambras says:

They should just change the title of the book to “When I Did It.”

I’m not shedding any tears for O.J.

6. @NoNamesLeft: I heard the family just started a shelter in Nicole Brown’s name (the daughter of OJ’s defense lawyer showed up to opening).

7. K-Bo says:

1. This is not Nicole Brown Simpsons Family doing this, it is the family of her boyfriend, Ron Goldman.
    2. The money is supposted to be going into a charitable fund of some sorts, but they claim the main goal is to prevent OJ from making money off of a murder.

8. CumaeanSibyl says:

If the publishing deal hadn’t fallen through, Fred Goldman would’ve gotten a good chunk of the profits anyway, since he’s got that outstanding judgment against Simpson in the wrongful-death case. This is just a more direct way of doing it.

It’s dirty as hell, of course. The whole thing is just sordid. But if I believed that a man killed my son, and got away with it, and then I saw that he was going to publish a book about “if” he killed my son in order to make some quick cash, I would exert every influence I had to ruin him utterly.

This is going to make Goldman look like an asshole, but it’s going to make Simpson look like a murderer — or, if you still don’t think he did it, at least the king douchebag of the world. If I were Goldman, I’d accept those terms. It’s a good revenge.

9. LiC says:

Simpson had a birthday a few years ago and Goldman went after his presents – including one really expensive car.

This is one saga I’m greatly enjoying. OJ did it, and watching Goldman make his life horrible is really satisfying for me. What will Goldman do next? Tackle OJ in the street to see what brand names he’s wearing?

10. ShadowFalls says:

I don’t know why so many are like, “OJ did it, he must have!” You are not in a position to say for certainty one way or another, just because a person may look guilty, doesn’t make them so.

11. gibsonic says:

someone should write a book called…

“IF I wanted to kill OJ Simpson, this is how I would do it.”

12. CumaeanSibyl says:

@ShadowFalls: Well, for one thing, he was found liable by California civil courts for the wrongful death of Ron Goldman and for battery of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown Simpson. That means there was enough evidence to convince the court that Simpson was responsible. That doesn’t prove he killed them, but it does strongly suggest that he may have.

For another thing, if he were innocent, it seems strange that he would write a book about what it would be like to commit the double murder he didn’t commit. That also doesn’t prove that he killed them, but at the very least it marks him as a disturbed individual, and it’s plausible that he may be disturbed because he killed them.

13. Buran says:

@ThyGuy: He has failed to pay a multimillion-dollar court-ordered judgment that resulted from a lawsuit.

He should have thought about that before he signed a book deal, huh? If you don’t pay your bills, don’t complain when you find the courts taking your tax refunds and other assets. Courts don’t like contempt.

14. Buran says:

@LiC: Did he win?

15. Buran says:

@CumaeanSibyl: … it’s being an asshole to enforce a court-ordered judgment?

16. LiC says:

@Buran: Not sure. I found this article about it thought: [www.cnn.com]
    And here’s one about Simpson refusing to “work to pay the Goldmans” from July ’97: [www.cnn.com]

17. acambras says:

@ShadowFalls:

Yes, I do believe he did it. But EVEN if he didn’t, there’s still documented evidence of spousal abuse. He beat up his wife numerous times. To me, that makes O.J. Not-Such-A-Nice-Guy, so if the Goldmans take him to the cleaners, he won’t get any sympathy from me.

18. Bill Brasky says:

Open letter to OJ:

Look up sympathy between s**t and syphillis in the dictionary. You wont find it anywhere else.

19. MyCokesBiggerThanYours says:

I find it interesting that everyone is positive OJ is guilty. I know, I know, but a court of law could not find him guilty. Its illogical that has to pas “penalties” in light of lack of conviction. Is it a good thing that society can pass judgment – and sentence – a person like this? It certainly violates the Constitution regarding “innocence until proven guilty.” This may be OK for OJ, but will you feel the same when its you? …as for this judgment – its a farce that the Goldmens continue to get compensation. Its blood money either way and after all these years it looks more like greed than justice.

20. Its illogical that has to pas “penalties” in light of lack of conviction.

@MyCokesBiggerThanYours: He lost in a civil court. It isn’t like he was found not guilty and the judge said, “Well, I think you are so pay up.” It does not violate innocent until proven guilty.

21. SJActress says:

A verdict of “Not Guilty” does not mean “Innocent”. Don’t you people watch Law and Order? Sheesh.

Also, OJ has been hiding money in order to not pay the Goldman’s their judgment. He’ll have a fee-based autograph signing, and ten minutes before an attorney arrives to seize the profits, the box of money magically disappears.

I’m glad the Goldman’s got the rights, and I’ll buy the book just for kindling to have them get the money they were awarded.

22. Blondie777 says:

OJ was found NOT GUILTY because of too many errors made during the investigation process, evidence tampering, an investigator that was found to have sold his story before the case went the trial and some of the best criminal lawyers F. Lee Bailey, Barry Scheck, Robert Shapiro, Robert Kardashian, Alan Dershowitz, and Johnnie Cochran, in the business.
    Had there not been so much media sensationalism and harping surrounding this story, and had there been police on the case that were more professional, OJ would be behind bars forever, if not on death row.

The lead investigator in that case, Mark Fuhrman, has been in trouble a couple more times for evidence tampering, rumours of planting the left-handed glove, cohersion, previously taped racial slurs, ideals of beating and torturing black men and gang members for the notoriety of it and pleading the 5th when questioned if he falsified documents regarding the OJ case. Fuhrman has since been convicted of perjury, but conveniently no further evidence has ever been found to substantiate these things since.

23. mrearly2 says:

Where is justice? “I Did It” (beat my wife, then killed her and got away with it) is what O.J. shoulda entitled his book.
    Then he settled in Florida, where there’s already an overabundance of criminals…