How Far Will Different Cars Go On One Tank Of Gas?

Bankrate has an oddly fun interactive tool that easily calculates how far different types of cars will go on a single tank of gas. The tool also lets you imput the price of gas in your area, so you can easily see how much you’ll be paying when its time to fill up.

Very cool for those of you shopping for a new car that gets better mileage than your old one.

How far can you go? [Bankrate]

Comments

1. Elviswasntmyhero says:

Let’s see…

“Cure for cancer?” Nope.

“Peace on earth?” Try again.

“Some new Sci-fi way to easily open those hard plastic shells that just about every $@#&*! product is sold in these days?” Right after the WMDs are found in Iraq.

“A nifty way to make over-priced gas, which comes from oil that wars are perpetually being waged over and US troops are being slaughtered for, seem less so?”

Bingo!

2. B says:

I’d be quite impressed if it could differentiate between the cars that require premium gas and the ones that don’t.

3. kaikhor says:

I am not entirely sure what years of cars they are using, because they put my SUV and my husband’s truck at the same size tank and I know it’s not, but one is an 04 and one an 05. They also put our MPG the same and that’s not either…

4. homerjay says:

Ummm… No Honda Accord?

5. yg17 says:

Oh wow, I feel a lot better about my car now….my Hyundai Tiburon is being compared to an Aston Martin, Lamborghini and BMW.

6. selianth says:

This tool would be great if you could put in the cars you wanted to compare, instead of just taking the three best and the three worst of each body style. The way it’s set up now is pretty much useless.

7. SirNuke says:

The Sabaru Imrza and Suzuki Forenza are nearly identical. Both get 22 MPG, hold 14.5 gallons, and have a 4 cylendar engine. However, the Imrza is a manual transmission and the Forenza is an automatic. Yet the Forenza gets an extra 17 miles off a full tank.

8. B says:

@SirNuke: The Impreza is also all-wheel drive.

9. Sidecutter says:

Wait. Civic has a larger gas tank than a Prius. It gets less mileage per tank than the Prius. But somehow, the cost per mile is the same? Does not compute.

10. C2D says:

Bah, my 1986 Volks Golf Diesel gets 60 MPG in the city. Beat that with your stinkin’ hybrid!

11. yg17 says:

@B: But if they’re both rated at 22 mpg and have a 14.5 gallon tank (which according to the site, they do) then it shouldn’t make a difference. That’s 22mpg after transmission, drivetrain, engine size, etc, is taken into account. The math should work out the same (22 miles per gallon x 14.5 gallons = I’m too lazy to get out the calculator)

12. timmus says:

I can’t imagine that too many savvy consumers on Consumerist will be buying the mint-condition brand new cars represented on that page.

13. krom says:

Consider that the Honda Civic and Toyota Prius go for about $23K, and get about 45MPG, while the Toyota Corolla goes for $16K and gets 30MPG. Consider also the specialized maintenance and repair of hybrids, not to mention the battery replacement costs.

My Prizm (a Corolla clone) at 7 years and over 170K miles still gets over 30MPG.

Hybrids are nice and ecological and save gas as long as you only do city driving. But the overall economics doesn’t yet make them quite as practical as a good quality gas compact IMO.

14. @C2D: How much do you want for it? LOL.

15. klischke says:

That image is wrong. Look at where the Corolla comes to on the gas “timeline”. It’s nowhere near the 409 miles per tank that it should be. The other two cars seem to be in the correct place, but the Corolla has been artificially placed backward, giving the visual impression that it is much less efficient than it actually is.

16. Boo says:

@krom: I have a 2004 Prius and so far no extra maintenance or repair. The battery is expected to last more then eight years and most people buy new cars around that time. I don’t know where you are getting the “only city driving” from as the Prius gets better mileage on the highway than in the city. The first generation Prius was a compact but the new ones are considered midsize sedans.

The best thing about the Prius is how much fun it is to drive or when you are stopped at an intersection you can yell “sucker” out the window at someone in an SUV as they use up their gas idling.

17. C2D says:

@Papa Midnight: I’ve had the car for 7 years and it’s a true beater/rust bucket. Even with that said, I’ve had people offer me $200-300 for it because of it’s fuel economy.

18. plaincorgi says:

@C2D: My 2006 Smart Fortwo CDI (diesel) is averaging 80mpg, so beat that :P

19. Slick says:

@Boo:

Why would you yell “sucker” at someone in an SUV? Are you completely sure that the person does not use the SUV for an activity that your Prius could not handle? What if the SUV belongs to a person who works for a construction company, or to someone who has a very large family, or to an offroad enthusiast? Would they then be a “sucker” for choosing it over the comparably less capable Prius?

This is why I sometimes have a difficult time liking hybrid drivers: they are under the illusion that their vehicles are the best, no matter what weaknesses they have.

20. TVarmy says:

@Sidecutter: There’s only 2 digits there, so rounding takes out the difference. If you tweak the price, you’ll see the Prius is slightly cheaper per mile. It’s small on the computer screen, of course, but over 30 miles a day, 360 days a year (I’ll assume one stays home with family on bank holidays), it adds up.

21. TVarmy says:

@Slick: He means the fact that the hybrid’s engine shuts down at intersections. Hybrid SUVs do it, too, but that’s not his point.

@Boo: In real driving, the Prius gets better milage from stop and go traffic at slow speeds (which is the worst for most other cars) because the efficient electric motors are doing most of the work at that speed. A short trip on the highway also works well because the electric engines can keep the car at speed with minimal help from the gas engine once the car is done accelerating, and it can even shut down the gas when going downhill for a while. However, the battery will eventually run down this way and the gas engine will have to compensate as the generator recharges the car. It still gets pretty good milage on the freeway, because of all the small milage tweaks and the low drag. However, it’d be nothing major compared to another small sedan.

The point is that the Prius is best for urban and suburban driving. However, it’s only as good as a conventional compact car on the freeway over long periods.

22. Slick says:

@TVarmy:

The gasoline section of hybrid engines shut down at all stops, not just at intersections. I already knew this and I understood Boo’s point. I was simply criticizing his willingness to assume that all SUV drivers are suckers since many of them don’t own hybrids.

23. spenc938 says:

That rating of 23MPG on the Malibu is pure bullshit. I drove from Salt Lake to Portland in one doing 90 on the freeway and I averaged around 39. And that isn’t just what the car said, I also figured it out myself by how much gas I used.

24. divide says:

@TVArmy: You are not entirely correct in that the Prius is identical to other compact cars on the highway.

The engine uses the more efficient atkinson cycle, and is of smaller displacement for the size of the car. The atkinson cycle engine produces a narrower power band in exchange for the efficiency, which combined with the smaller engine would offer pretty abysmal acceleration. The electric motor bridges the gap, providing enough power to accelerate quickly when needed… then providing the benefit of the more efficient (due to design and smaller displacement) engine for maintaining highway speed.

It’s certainly arguable that a much cheaper Geo Metro can compare to it on the highway — but it’s easy to average 50mpg on the highway in a Prius at reasonable speeds, where you’d be at 40mpg or so in a Metro — and the Prius is notably larger than other compacts (we replaced an A6 wagon with our Prius; look at a Prius and check out the legroom in the back seat if you don’t believe me).

As to Hybrid owners’ snottiness, apparently there’s a lot of suppressed frustration that needs to go somewhere :) It’s hard to deny that the majority of people in SUV’s would probably be fine in a Honda Accord, but being a jerk is unnecessary. As long as our fuel is comparably cheap, people will make economically acceptable decisions like trading daily fuel economy for a larger vehicle.

We have an old 4Runner for four wheeling, and an big old ’86 F250 pickup for firewood and snow plowing. The Prius has saved us $2,689 over ten months on a daily 80mi commute, though, which works for us. And it’s fun to drive.

25. divide says:

@BOO: I have to agree with those knocking you for yelling at SUV drivers, though. We’re on the east coast this week, and I’ve seen quite a few more hybrids than in the midwest…

It’s easy when you’ve got extra money to buy something like a Hybrid to “apologize to the environment.” The reality is that most of us have much larger houses than necessary, consumer way more junk than necessary, water our lawns, waste plastic by drinking bottled water (then think we’re awesome because we recycle.. hah!), use plenty of electricity we don’t strictly need, etc. etc. etc.

26. divide says:

@PLAINCORGI, @C2D: My family’s huge diesel Excursion even gets 23mpg on the highway! A Diesel Prius would have to be pretty sweet…

27. my beloved ford festiva got about 40 mpg…then again, it had 63hp and 4 speed manual (3 speed auto was optional) transmission. Anything over 55mph and you had a deathwish

28. WillACarpenter says:

@homerjay: BINGO! Also no Accord Coupe (which is what I drive) They apparently don’t care about sales figures, or number of vehicles on the road… I’m sure there just a FEW more Honda Accord Coupes on the road than say the Lamborghini Gallardo…also I doubt people driving a Lambo give a rats ASS about the price of gas.

29. buggy_bee says:

The 2006 Toyota Prius hybrid is
    the most fuel efficient.

it must have toyota performance parts.

Next is the Honda Insight.