This Walmart Sign Also Shows Excellent Attention To Detail

[Columbus, Ohio. July 2007]

The first is a mistake. The second is a flickr competition. If you stumble upon a misspelled Walmart sign, take a picture and submit it to our Flickr pool. Tag it “Walmart is smrt.”

Comments

1. mopar_man says:

Considering Wal-Mart employee intelligence, I’m predicting you’ll get a lot of these.

2. homerjay says:

Thats great and all but what the hell is “Specialty Bath???”

3. chrisgoh says:

@mopar_man: But I would not think that your random employee at each store is making these signs, I’d imagine they get sent from corporate, so they are probably wrong everywhere. If they were made by employees, I’d imagine we would see more subversive behavior as opposed to just bad spelling.

4. faust1200 says:

I love Consumerist more than well probably some people. That being said Consumerist is hardly in a position to call anyone out on spelling!

5. huginn says:

Carey, I’m not sure if that’s your photoshop or someone else, but that was a water spitter :D

6. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

You know, you’d think that if you were making signs for a nation-wide big-box store that you would have access to a spell-checker, instead of just relying on Verna in the cubicle next-door.

@homerjay: Shhh..it’s so special, nobody knows.

7. kweee says:

Walmart, a tip: if the word is too hard to spell, your customers are likely to dumb to know the word’s meaning anyway.

Instead of “fragrances,” use “shower substitute.”

Instead of “vacuums,” use “household equipment you’ll never use anyway.”

8. SJActress says:

@faust1200:

I think there’s a big difference between writing an entire article with one typo and misspelling one word on a huge printed sign that can’t easily be fixed.

9. tylerkaraszewski says:

How is this worse than Consumerist writers always referring to themselves as plural?

We can’t believe we’re posting this, considering we follow a largely vegetarian diet

Now, tell me, did a pair of Comsumerist writers, who are both vegetarians, really post that article together? You guys do this all the time, you’re in no place to be complaining about other people’s English skills.

10. Consumer-X says:

Stupid Wal-mart! All they can do right is create the largest retail company on the planet Earth. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!
    I don’t know about you but I would rather be a billionaire who can’t spell than a Grammar teacher who has nothing better to do than nit pick on a website.

11. homerjay says:

@tylerkaraszewski: Pfft. Newb…. Thats the ‘royal WE.’ Ben and company are VERY big fans. We’ve adressed this ad nausium in the past and have pretty much given up.

Now we don’t notice it anymore.

12. brianary says:

Spelling and grammar are dead.

I’m constantly running into blogs, emails, and comments that are unable to distinguish there from their from they’re, or lose from loose, or even slap an -ly on the end of their adjectives (thanks for thinking “different”, Apple).

13. tozmervo says:

Once upon a time (maybe still, I haven’t checked), the overhead signs for Stationery at Target were misspelled “Stationary” – as in, standing still.

14. royal72 says:

you guys are running out of shit to complain about?

15. chatterboxwriting says:

I love a good grammar or spelling post. I’m a proofreader, so I’m always noticing signs like this one. My favorite spelling error was on a card I selected on 123Greetings.com. A friend’s boss had died, so I picked a nice card with some flowers on the front. When it was time to personalize the inside, it said, “Nothing can ease the pain of loosing someone so dear.” I sent them an e-mail alerting them to the error and the card is now fixed.

My pet peeves are the usual confusion with they’re/their/there, your/you’re, its/it’s, using an apostrophe to indicate that something is plural rather than possessive, and inconsistency in comma usage (using a serial comma in one section of an article or book and not using the serial comma in another section). My biggest pet peeve is when people spell whipped cream as “whip cream” — it doesn’t even make any sense. Whip cream is something a dominatrix might use to keep her leather whip soft and flexible, while WHIPPED describes the type of cream you would put on your dessert.

16. DAK says:

Given how childish and ridiculous most of the posts here have become, may I suggest rerouting to http://www.myspace.com/consumerist ?

17. hemaphore says:

sorry,
    but isn’t it “Face Care” usually referred to as “Facial Care”?

18. hemaphore says:

oops, extra “it” in my previous post. :(

19. hop says:

as a radio amateur i use the “we” term quite a bit in communicating with other hams…..it’s just the way “we” do it, and who gives a crap anyway…..you guys can mis-spell all the words you want to…it’s even better if it makes the perfect people squirm….i type with one finger also…so there………..

20. morganlh85 says:

Does it have to be Walmart? Cuz honestly I see WAY more spelling errors in the mom-and-pop grocery stores in my area! For example: “Juice’s”

21. Blueskylaw says:

I once saw in Home Depot “fir” lumber spelled as fur lumber, as if it had hair. I did not mention it to them because it was too funny and it was right above the cash registers. Though I wish I was able to take a picture.

22. Chicago7 says:

Needless to say, the Arkansas school system is not the best in the world.

23. mopar_man says:

@hemaphore:

This is true. I missed that.

24. floofy says:

@royal72: that’s funny.

I was in Meijer’s yesterday, and they had a sign for ‘Pickels’.

25. infinitysnake says:

@faust1200: Heh heh.

26. brianary says:

@royal72:

Can’t speak clearly? Can’t think clearly.

27. bbbici says:

Well, duh. These signs are probably made in Chinaland.

28. mermaidshoes says:

@chatterboxwriting: i totally want some whip cream now. think they sell it at wal-mart?

29. fall_farewell says:

This sounds like fun.. time to take a trip to try spotting signs lol… The first post about this made me laugh, but the second post made me laugh harder. I was sure that it wouldn’t be so common.