Ladies And Gentlemen: The First iPhone Injury!

Flickr member waveman216 has posted visual evidence of the world’s first iPhone injury, along with step-by-step instructions on how you too can nearly kill yourself using only an iPhone and a treadmill. Ouch!

Sadly for some Consumerist editors, the iPhone is not required. We’re sort of uncoordinated around here.

How my iPhone almost killed me [Flickr]

Comments

1. iamgibson says:

Yet Another Darwin Award needs to be handed out.

2. FreakyStyley says:

The fact that he didn’t get hurt worse makes baby Darwin cry.

It’s definitely more of an idiocy-related injury than an iPhone one.

3. Buran says:

Talking on the phone while exercising? Puhleeze.

Why can’t people put the damn phone down long enough to do other things? Why do they have to talk on the phone all the freakin’ time?

It’s an iphone. So what? It’s still a distracting attention-sucking cell phone.

4. tracilyns says:

i’m so sad there’s not video of this. it would definitely be youtube gold.

5. Canadian Impostor says:

@Buran: I believe he was listening to music on it when it fell off the treadmill.

6. proginoskes says:

Oh for heaven’s sake! This is only news because it’s about the iPhone! (Keep bringning it on; it’s funny.)

–iPhone mocker, not owner.

7. ptrix says:

Let me get this straight – basically, this dude caused that kind of injury to himself while WALKING and using a CELL PHONE at the same time?

Yup, a clear nominee for a Darwin Award indeed.

Let’s hope this brain surgeon thinks twice before trying to use the CD player in his car. Wouldn’t want any innocent people to be killed because of his near-fatal lack of coordination and focus.

8. ptrix says:

Yup, a clear nominee for a Darwin Award indeed.

9. Antediluvian says:

I’m just glad the iPhone was not hurt.

10. theblackdog says:

Wait, we don’t know that he was holding the phone and talking on it. Notice in the story he says it “slides off the stand.” Methinks he was using the iPod functionality or a speakerphone and it fell off the front and he watched it because he thought he was going to step on it.

11. Buran says:

@Jason: Staring at cell phone, talking on cell phone, pushing buttons on cell phone, whatever. It still amounts to people not being able to put the @$&*%$!!ing PHONE DOWN FOR FIVE MINUTES.

12. mermaidshoes says:

@buran: calm down. do you ever listen to music while exercising? or work out on a treadmill in an environment that’s not completely distraction-free? then this could have happened to you. plenty of things other than cell phones can be distracting.

treadmills can be pretty dangerous–just google “treadmill accidents.” the weirdest treadmill incident i ever saw was when some genius fratboy threw a basketball really hard into a crowded workout room, his genius fratboy friend failed to catch the throw, and the basketball ended up lodged underneath a treadmill that a girl was using. the ball lifted the treadmill off the ground and almost made the girl using the treadmill fall down. fortunately, the girl was able to hit the auto shutoff switch and jump off before anything bad happened. good thing she had more functioning brain cells than the frat boys…

13. dbeahn says:

Looks like you need a treadmill, an iPhone, and a healthy does of stupidity.

Or does it go without saying that if you buy an iPhone to use on AT&T you’ve got the stupidity part covered?

14. acambras says:

If I had a dollar for every time my uncoordinated ass has almost fallen off the treadmill, I could probably afford an iPhone.

My mp3 player is very small (a Creative Zen Nano) and came with its own armband. I find it helpful. Although I’m not sure if strapping something as big as an iPhone to one’s arm would work too well.

15. sandwich_pants says:

I think the iPhone is about as guilty in this guy’s injury as the cap in a bullet is guilty for a drive by shooting (perhaps less, as there are more alternatives to iPhones, whereas there’s only a couple ways to ignite the gunpowder in a firearm).

16. Chicago7 says:

The real question is: If this hadn’t been an iPhone, would we have heard about it?

It probably happens all the time to Motorola users or Samsung users. But, since it’s an iPhone, it’s MUCH more important.

17. rickspeaks says:

@Buran: @Buran:
    I totally agree….hey hang on a sec….someone is calling me…..

18. GenXCub says:

Insert 1 Clumsy guy who happened to fall on his treadmill.

Add a few blog commenters who don’t read the actual article and start talking out their collective arses.

Season to taste, and you’ve got a typical comment tree on consumerist.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don’t just use this blog to thumb your nose at people and companies based on headlines. This was a poor guy who had a less-than-coordinated moment and he’s catching crap from people who don’t deserve to fling it.

19. gozilla09 says:

Is that back hair? Ewwww…

20. Trai_Dep says:

I can’t wait until the sequel: how to treadmill while holding a feral cat to my throat while talking on an iPhone.

21. queen_elvis says:

Now extrapolate from speeding treadmill to speeding car. See why you shouldn’t talk on the phone while you drive? Whenever I get tempted, I just picture my life after a serious brain injury and put the thing back down.

22. azntg says:

Please, if you’re going to work out, then just work out. Leave your phones, mp3 players, etc. locked up somewhere especially if you can’t handle multitasking so well (or your exercise isn’t so conductive for multitasking)

23. Trackback says:

Apparently the iPhone is so sweet that it’ll cause you to risk life and limb to preserve it, which can result in a pretty nasty looking gouge. The most important bit: You will only stay airborne for a quick second and when you come down, the back of the treadmill will strike somewhere on your body.

24. shoegazer says:

@GenXCub: A blog full of uninformed, knee-jerk commentary? Say it ain’t so!

Props to the guy for posting what must have been an embarrassing (and PAINFUL) experience. I can’t work out without music, be it from a phone or a smaller MP3 player, so I can sympathize.

25. palaste says:

@FreakyStyley: Exactly. You could replace “iPhone” with “lump of rock” in the description and it would still work. I hope not one is asking for iPhones to be banned because they’re this dangerous.