Great Moments In Commercial History: Crazy Bruce's Liquor Store

Reader Dennis writes:

This is a local liquor store a couple of towns away. I remember seeing the commercials in college, but I never actually stopped in until a couple of years ago. I don’t really ever make the trek there, but the prices and selection weren’t that bad, as for the polka music and singing well see for yourself…

You know, Dennis, it wasn’t the singing so much as the occasional barking that got to us.

If you’d like to nominate a commercial for our weekly series “Great Moments In Commercial History” send us an email at tips [at] consumerist [dot] com. Be sure to put “Great Moments In Commercial History” in the subject. To see other commercials that have been featured in the series, click here.

Comments

1. macpiper says:

Roll out the barrel, we’ll have a barrel of fun

Roll out the barrel, we’ve got the blues on the run

Zing boom tararrel, ring out a song of good cheer

Now’s the time to roll the barrel, for the gang’s all here

2. loudguitars says:

Ha, that’s awesome. I drive by the one in West Hartford whenever I’m in Connecticut visiting my relatives. What the commercial doesn’t show is the logo: Crazy Bruce’s giant, cartoon head. It’s hilariously creepy.

3. drjayphd says:

I keep going to places around the Bristol one, but I’ve never been. (sniffle) Our little liquor store owner’s all growedsed up…

4. drjayphd says:

And while we’re ragging on places in Connecticut, someone PLEASE tell me Bob’s Discount Furniture made this feature at least thrice.

5. FROST1 says:

You know he purposely got drunk so he could act crazy for the commercial, I liked it.

6. hustler says:

I would go to this liquor store.

7. homerjay says:

@drjayphd: Bob’s got nothing on the stuff thats made it in here. He’s just a boob. This stuff is entertaining.

In fact, I’m pretty sure Crazy Bruce was drunk when he made this commercial.

8. MikeB says:

Man, the memories. I grew up in West Hartford, lived there for 21 of my 35 years, and had forgotten all about them. Thinking of Crazy Bruce’s reminds me of Bob’s Discount Furniture. Oh the great commercials from both places.

9. MikeB says:

Yeah for disappearing comments (hope this isn’t a double post). I grew up in West Hartford and had forgotten all about these commercials.

10. Hawk07 says:

I’d go there. Looks like it’s well stocked and clean.

People that live there, is it cheap?

11. lestat730 says:

wow. how many drinks do you guys think he had before filming this commercial?

12. BarryT says:

Holy shit. I used to live up the road from that place. I don’t remember the commercials, but we used to go in there with my friend’s mom. It was like another planet.

13. floofy says:

Crazy Bruce kicks ass!!

14. littletree says:

Crazy Bruce is my friend’s uncle! I’ll tell him to let his uncle know that he’s officially a part of commerical History.

15. LionelEHutz says:

He must have been drunk when he created that awful commercial.

16. Canadian Impostor says:

Crazy Bruce hangs around his own store a lot, he’s pretty normal in person.

17. toddkravos says:

Heh, you should see the late night adverts for a furniture store here in Cleveland.
    Certainly a hoot!

[www.google.com]

18. Yeah, what is up with the whooping/barking noise?

@Hawk07: Is it just me or is that the largest liquor store ever? The ad succeeds just by showing the inside of the store.

19. Canadian Impostor says:

It’s pretty big, not really the biggest. There are six or seven aisles stocked like the one you see in the video.

20. Chicago7 says:

That crazy furniture rap guy got a more mainstream ad with Smythe furniture in Chicago.

At least it looked like it, anyway.

21. Pancakes?? FRENCH TOAST!! says:

That’s it?

This guy’s got NOTHING on Vern Fonk ads in the Seattle area.
    [www.youtube.com]
    [www.youtube.com]

@rectilinear: You should see the liquor stores in Arkansas. There’s one in Fayetteville, for instance, that used to be a huge grocery store.