XBOX 360 Gets $50 Cheaper Tomorrow

The rumored 20 gigabyte XBOX 360 price cut goes into effect tomorrow according to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer. If you’re in the market for an XBOX, don’t buy one today or you’ll pay $50 more for no reason.

Also of note: “Xbox 360 Core System will drop in price by $20, to $279.99, and Microsoft will shave $30 off the price of the 120 GB Xbox 360 Elite, taking it to $449.99.”

Advertisements showing the price cut were leaked on the internet more than a week ago, and confirmed by Microsoft yesterday.

Confirmed: Microsoft cutting Xbox 360 price by $50 [Seattle Post-Intelligencer]
(Photo:Maulleigh)

Comments

1. ChrisC1234 says:

Yippie… I can save $50 on a console that I don’t want that will die a premature death.

I’m perfectly happy with my Wii. :)

2. Toof_75_75 says:

@ChrisC1234:

I still wish I had a Wii, but I have to be responsible and keep paying for college :-( Stupid tuition!

3. roche says:

First post is by a fanboy. What a surprise.

4. supra606 says:

Who cares? Just like with PS3, it’s still much more money than I’m willing to spend on something that’s designed to help me waste time. I’ll stick to PS2 for now because it’s plenty good enough for me.

5. danieldavis says:

I thought about upgrading to the elite, for the extra storage spaace. Perhaps this will convince me further…

Right now if I sell my 360 and get an elite, its cheaper than getting just the hard drive.

6. JRuiz47 says:

@supra606: Well, there are nearly 300 views on this post already, so I’m guessing a few people.

But maybe you’re right… Meg, go ahead and delete this post since nobody cares.

I would think as a gamer of any sort, Supra, you’d want the industry to gain a larger share and continue to grow for future success.

7. IC18 says:

A lot of money – some money = a lot of money.

Yep, I’ll stick with my PS2 as well.

8. ChrisC1234 says:

@roche: I take offense to being called a fanboy. I don’t buy ANYTHING just because company XYZ made it. I actually have a BRAIN, and use it before I buy anything. I’m a Mac user, but that doesn’t mean I want an iPhone (actually, it’s way too expensive, and I prefer my cellphone to be just that… a phone and only a phone).

Besides, everything I stated in my comment is FACT.
    Fact 1: I don’t want an XBox 360. I’m not a hardcore gamer and most of the games on the 360 do NOT appeal to me.
    Fact 2: The XBox 360s have a reputation of repeatedly dying. Have you not seen the problems people have had with their 360s dying?
    Fact 3: I own a Wii and enjoy playing it.

There is NOTHING here that is even remotely fanboyish.

9. shades_of_blue says:

a) He never said you were a Sony-fanboy, and since you own a Mac, that means you could be an Apple-fanboy. Do you own an iPod? Do you know G1&G2 iPods are prone to failures, just like the 360? So Mr Mac, your prefect company is not so perfect either, now is it?
    b) I’ve owned my 360 since Jan 06 and it still works perfectly. Not all 360s are duds, just some. And in most of those cases I can’t wonder how many of those systems are constantly moved between locations or modified to run quieter than normal.
    c) Nintendo Wii systems are having similar failure issues now, when they are in suspend mode with connect24 or whatever it’s called, the GPU and CPU are overheating. This is damaging the GPUs memory chips.
    d) PS3 had over a year delay to cleanup most, if not all hardware issues thanks to Blu-ray and HDMI 1.3. Otherwise it would probably have a couple glitches too, such as sticking square buttons, defective lasers, dead pixels, more defective lasers…and so on.
    e) I’m not a fanboy for MS or anyone else, for that matter. First system was an Atari 2600 and I’ve owned almost every home console since.

How do you like them apples?

10. Moosehawk says:

@shades_of_blue:

b) An estimated 33% of 360s have had some sort of hardware problem or failure. I think that’s a little more than “some.”

[consumerist.com]

11. shades_of_blue says:

yes, so they say. Not that MS will ever admit it. I know several owners and two of which had RRoD errors. one of them ports his system from WV to PA every other week, a trip consisting of around 250miles or so, one way.

12. deanfortytwo says:

Geex, cool the fanboy debate already. How about commenting on something worthy of note, like how they’re only dropping the core and elite systems, not the regular 360. That’s why I’m not buying it, anyway.

13. supra606 says:

@JRuiz47:
    Maybe so but if those 300 people are anything like me they’re working at jobs they hate and are simply bored. Also, I’m glad you feel you know what I want but you’re wrong. I don’t much care what happens in any sort of entertainment industry since I have the mental capacity to entertain myself if need be. But nice try sport!

14. JRuiz47 says:

@deanfortytwo:

Yeah, they are.

FTFA: The company will drop the price of the main version of the video-game console, the 20-gigabyte model, by $50 — to $349.99.

The price decrease takes effect Wednesday. At the same time, the Xbox 360 Core System will drop in price by $20, to $279.99, and Microsoft will shave $30 off the price of the 120 GB Xbox 360 Elite, taking it to $449.99.

15. JRuiz47 says:

@supra606: That’s probably why I said “I’d think…”

But you know, feel free to gloss over that fact.

16. shades_of_blue says:

I’m with dean on that one, they really should have dropped the core 50bux too. They probably did not drop it that much to compensate for that ’1 billion dollar loss’, which is a shame as it could have drawn some sales away from the still elusive and often unobtainable Wii system. Maybe they’ll get wise by Thanksgiving, then again maybe not.

17. shades_of_blue says:

@supra606: Right now I’m ignoring my work, to mess around on the internet, while everyone else slaves away too. hehe

18. supra606 says:

@shades_of_blue:
    I think we should take a poll and find out what percentage of people on this site and other comment/forum sites are in that same boat (I’m thinking 80%+). I don’t know how I’d survive a work day without sites like this!

19. shades_of_blue says:

I’ve often wondered what the ratio of @home vs @school vs @work would be of most blog sites. As I’ve noticed that most forums I visit are frequented by people in IT and others aren’t aware of them. Do blog sites follow a similar trend?

20. supra606 says:

There are probably not enough people reading this post any more to find out. But I guess I’ll be seeing you on the next post – today, tomorrow, the next day…

21. bedofnails says:

Is this the system with the controller that flys through windows?

22. shades_of_blue says:

Could be Supra, could be…

@beadofnails that would be the Wii system, and I think you mean ‘projection TVs’ lol Kinda funny that you mention that, as Nintendo just updated the wrist strap again. Now it had a snaping lock, to prevent it from flying away.

BTW I should have my Wii today, so no blogs after work for me, it’ll be Super Paper Mario and how I killed my TV time. heheh

23. shades_of_blue says:

EDIT: FedEx screwed me again, got to wait another day for my Wii. :::moans some more:::

24. pouls29 says:

$50 drop? I don’t see it. The post said $20 for the core, and $30 for the Elite. How would I pay an extra $50 today than if I waited for tomorrow? Seems I would only pay $20 or $30 more…still too much.

25. Buran says:

Has no one ever thought that stores will get charged $50 less but they’ll pocket the $50 instead of passing on the savings?

26. shades_of_blue says:

I don’t think that would happen or be a wise business move, as their sales would slow down/halt. Then MS reps would investigate and all the small chains which might get away with it are too worried about loosing customers to Wal-mart. IMO that’s the biggest reason they push pre-orders onto customers. Guarantee a sale at the fixed price, before Wal-mart can undercut them.

27. Buran says:

@shades_of_blue: Hah, like “we might get caught” stops all the places that get caught … after making millions. “The big shops will keep the prices down” will do it too.

Disgusting but true.