Netflix “watch now” streaming movie feature has been hacked. [TV Squad]

Comments

1. beyond says:

Actually you can start a movie and then come back to it later with Netflix.

2. Meg Marco says:

@beyond: Yeah, you’re totally right. Maybe they meant “watch the rest later, off-line, while you’re on a plane.” Still hacked tho.

3. supra606 says:

Who could ever have seen this coming?!? The MPAA is going to jump all over Netflix in 3, 2, 1…

4. rbf2000 says:

I don’t know if I would call it “hacked,” it seems more like fair use, to me, which I suppose doesn’t actually exist if you don’t actually own the media…

5. Meg Marco says:

@rbf2000: “improved”

6. skechada says:

Man there are some whiney whiners in the linked to comments threads. Yeesh.

I personally love the Watch Now feature. No need to “rip” movies from it – if I want to watch a particular movie elsewhere I’ll, you know, get the DVD from Netflix.

Having the ability to stream movies (and there are some pretty great movies in their small but growing collection) was a lifesaver for me when I had surgery last month. I was recovering at home for 5 days and used up my 18 hours watching good movies like In the Company of Men, How to Draw a Bunny, I like Killing Flies, Six String Samurai, etc.

I’m no Netflix fanboy, but having recently re-subscribed (mostly to rent the Larry Sanders compilation and Deadwood), I couldn’t be happier with them. And this whole Watch Now is as good an implementation as can be expected, IE requirements (hint: use IE Tab for Firefox) notwithstanding.

7. gtr225 says:

Soon the silverlight version of Watch Now will be out and probably squash this hack.