Toxic Lead Paint Prompts Recall of 967,000 Fisher-Price Toys

Sorry kids, the Consumer Product Safety Commission and Fisher-Price are recalling Big Bird, Elmo, Dora and 83 other types of fun toys that happen to be covered with toxic lead paint from China.

The recall affects 967,000 toys made between April 19 and July 6 of this year that bear a date code between 109-7LF and 187-7LF. Two-thirds of the affected toys were quarantined before they reached store shelves.

The recall is disconcerting because Mattel is seen by many as a role model for businesses using Chinese manufacturers:

Allmark said the recall was troubling because Fisher-Price has had a long-standing relationship with the Chinese vendor, which had applied decorative paint to the toys. Allmark said the company would use this recall as an opportunity to put even better systems in place to monitor vendors whose conduct does not meet Mattel’s standards.

Owners of the toxic toys can exchange them for a voucher. A full list of affected toys is below, and pictures of the toys are available on Mattel’s website.

33662 Elmo Light Up Musical Pal

C6908 Dora, Backpack, Perrito Figure Pack
C6909 Diego Figure Pack
C6911 Boots, Tico Figure Pack
G5112 Sing With Elmo’s Greatest Hits
H2943 Grow With Me Elmo Sprinkler
H3344 Birthday Dora
H5570 Elmo & Pals (Elmo, Zoe, Bigbird)
H4628 Water Fun Tote

B7888 Shake, Giggle & Roll
B7989 Silly Parts Talking Elmo

C6910 Swiper Figure Pack
G3825 Dora Talking Vamonos Van
G9717 Giggle Doodler
H3343 Cousin Daisy
H5569 Elmo & Pals (Elmo, Cookie, Ernie)
H4187 Dora Figures In Tube

L3215 Sesame Street Elmo Jack-In-The-Box

L5813 Diego Tub Trike
M0351 Dora Figures Dora & Kitty
M0524 Go Diego Go Talking Gadget
M0732 Dora’s Talking House
M2052 Fairytale Castle

Fisher-Price Recalls Licensed Character Toys Due To Lead Poisoning Hazard [CPSC]
Fisher-Price to Recall 967,000 Toys [AP]

Comments

1. Toof_75_75 says:

I’m pretty convinced this is just a mode of guerrilla warfare that we are not completely aware is going on against us.

2. junkmail says:

Went through the process on FP’s page, and they ask you if they were purchased prior to or following May 1st, 07. If this is the same Chinese company they’ve been doing business with for years, how can they be sure this is the only time lead paint was an issue? This whole thing has me pretty paranoid. I think my daughters will be playing with rocks and sticks from now on.

3. mopar_man says:

Or just buy vintage toys that were made before the US decided to off all of it’s production to China. I know I regret selling a bunch of my childhood toys now that I’m hearing about all these lead-painted toys and nobody really doing anything about it (besides recalls that is but that’s kinda too late). Luckily I’ve still got some stashed away. Hopefully I have at least one boy or my girls are going to by tomboys. :P

4. Cowboys_fan says:

Will all this crap ever end? Somehow I think NO

5. zero_o says:

Mopar_man the problem with buying “vintage toys” made in the grand ol’ US of A is that we used to use lead paint too.

6. mopar_man says:

@zero_o:

Depends how far back you go I guess.

7. My girlfriend is Chinese, we go back and forth on whose country is worse(I’m American if that matters), this spree of crap imports coming out of China has got me so far ahead I don’t even have to try anymore. Thank you Consumerist, you’ve given this man the ability to one-up his girlfriend.

8. gorckat says:

@junkmail: I heard on the radio that the reason they’re limiting the dates of purchase is because they couldn’t/hadn’t tested anything older.

9. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

Give em Legos!

Of course, you may have to take out a loan to do so!

10. Trai_Dep says:

Makes Ronco’s Bag of Broken Glass toy line seem almost quaint.

11. kylere says:

This is a “good thing” in the long run, because we will hopefully see a group of companies founded under the very concept of safe and secure items. It is sad that we are becoming a colony of other nations as we once were to the Brits. Raw materials out, finished good in!

12. Starfury says:

My kids have my old Legos since I kept those.

I didn’t keep my hot wheels track and cars..that was a mistake.

13. ahwannabe says:

better systems = hiring Americans, maybe? nah.

14. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

Ok so maybe I am overreacting a little since I have a 9 month old and he had one of the toys on the list…but WHO THE F*CK DECIDED ANY LEAD PAINT WAS ACCEPTABLE FOR KIDS TOYS???? I mean this isn’t there is lead in our paint recall its theres too much. Ummmm isnt any too much? I know all the psuedo-quasi-doctor wannabes will chime in about acceptable levels of exposure and all that but come on using anything with lead in it especially for kids toys? Criminal negligence in my mind. Man it seems every week the list of toys you can safely buy gets smaller and smaller.

15. CumaeanSibyl says:

I just have this really sad image of parents having to take away their kids’ favorite toys. :(

Between this and the idiot on LiveJournal who’s arguing that sweatshop opponents are evil for wanting companies to pay living wages and build safe factories, I’m feeling really anti-corporate right about now.

16. clarient says:

Everything you touch can kill you these days.

17. junkmail says:

@gorckat: Oh THAT’S reassuring…

@CumaeanSibyl: Tell me about it… I had to do it. :(

@Nemesis_Enforcer: Agreed

18. MissMissy says:

But everyone is forgetting that lead is so *tasty* and satisfying…

19. Shizlak says:

honestly, Why is “lead = poison” such a hard thing to grasp?

20. mikfel1 says:

I am a chemist, and I know a lot of US manufacturers, well at least used to, hire technicians to do QA/QC (quality assurance, quality control) on manufacturing lines. It sounds like maybe the Chinese have never heard about this, QAQC is a joke job in china, or the US companies that import this stuff no longer care and decided its cheaper to hid behind lawyers than make safe product.

There is no excuse for lead in a product, its not something that is difficult to test for. Maybe toy safety people should just go to Walmart, use that guys blender from youtube, blend the toys up and see if they have lead in them.

21. miicrodot says:

Ahh, but the cyclical nature of industrial pollution. This is about a lot more than just lead in pigments. This is about the cycle of America dealing with its own used technology. As noted in the Wall Street Journal, Ted Smith, the founder of Silicone Valley Toxics Coalition documented how the disposal of used Computers and electronic components by American waste disposal companies directly contributes to this problem.
    They make the bad stuff “go away” by shipping it to China and other countries all over the world where it is recycled.
    The lead and heavy metals of our own computer garbage is recycled to become a cheap source of pigments in the very paints used by the Chinese Toy industry.
    I’m not laying blame on America for poisoning it’s own children, but the real problem is not as simple as a xenophobic reaction against the Chinese.