My Best Financial Advice: All Financial Matters

The Consumerist asked some top personal finance bloggers to give a short summary of their single best piece of financial advice. Here’s how All Financial Matters responded:

When we asked him to elaborate, he wrote My ONE Piece of Advice for us.
FREE MONEY FINANCE

Comments

1. JKinNYC says:

“Always be sure to research all your options and be willing to challenge conventional wisdom. The bottom line is that it is up to you to do what is best for you.”

Is that advice? Or like 8 cliches jammed into two sentences?

2. gibsonic says:

@JKinNYC:

Way to put the cart before the horse!
    Don’t count your chickens before they hatch.
    There is always a silver lining.
    Winners never quit; Quiters never win.
    The buck stops here. Shit or get off the pot.
    Move it or lose it.
    Be all that you can be.
    When the going gets tough the tough get going.
    Don’t give up.
    Become the master of your own destiny.
    Don’t eat yellow snow.
    For every action there is an equal an opposite reaction.
    Don’t stick to the status quo.
    Seize the day! (Carpe Diem)

3. gibsonic says:

i love it when my comment gets eaten by the consumerist comment monster.

4. Hoss says:

It’s a flowery way to say we’re on our own and stop bothering me I have a blog quota to fill. Whatya want for nothin, rubber biscuits?

5. I’m the dufus who wrote that “best advice.” Seriously, there’s so much to know when it comes to personal finance that it is difficult to come up with ONE piece of advice. So, I thought that “advice” covered all the bases.

Besides, is “research all your options” really a cliche?

6. gibsonic says:

7. “no offense, but you could right some really good mission statements for companies that never actually plan to live by them.”

I’m pretty sure anybody could do that (even you provided you learned how to spell – no offense, of course).

8. CreativeLinks says:

“The bottom line is that it is up to you to do what is best for you.”

Er, um, yeah thanks for that advice. I want my 2 minutes back.

9. boughy says:

I think this is a solid quick way to remind people to take a step back now and then and ease off a potential purchase or “investment”. Debt would not be engulfing the US if more people took this advice. You have to agree with that. So while this may not be something everyone needs it is a great reminder for many. I know I can be so convinced I have the best options planned out in my head until I do the unthinkable and actually consider other options or even worse other people’s feedback.

10. JKinNYC says:

@JLP at AllFinancialMatters:

” Besides, is “research all your options” really a cliche?”

Cliche, ok maybe not. Trite? Yep. You write a good blog, but this is two sentences of fluff.