4 Questions To Ask Yourself Before Relocating For A Job

Before you tell an employer you’re willing to move to another job in another city, CareerJournal says do some soul-searching and ask yourself the following questions:

1. Will you face a significant cost-of-living increase?
2. How will moving affect your quality of life?
3. How will the move impact your family?
4. Do you like your new job?

In short, relocating for a job impacts every area of your life — financial, social, emotional, etc. — so don’t change cities without giving the various ramifications of a move significant thought.— FREE MONEY FINANCE

Four Questions to Ask Before Agreeing to Relocate for a Job [Career Journal]
(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. ChrisC1234 says:

My motto has always been that I will work to live. Too many people in this country live to work. My work is NOT my life. I will not stay at a job that I do not like, and I will not uproot my life just for a job. Whenever I hear of a family having to relocate because of a job transfer, I feel sorry for them. In most cases, uprooting your family and whole social structure isn’t worth a job… but then again, that’s just my opinion.

I just know I live where I want to live, and have no plans on ever MOVING because of a job.

2. Jim says:

We just relocated with my employer, and I’ll vouch for these four questions.

You also will very likely grossly underestimate the amount of time it takes to get over the financial costs – we’re at four months and counting getting over the last bills from the old place combined with the new bills and installation fees for the new place, furniture, parking, etc. The company covered some expenses so we were able to not go completely broke!

Non-financial matters are huge too, the change in commute time, finding a good school district, etc.

“so don’t change cities without giving the various ramifications of a move significant thought.” cannot be overstated!

3. Cowboys_fan says:

I couldn’t ever see myself picking up and moving my family on a whim without considering these, and probably many more factors. Looks like Santa’s on a diet, or is that how he looks every July?

4. Red_Eye says:

We relocated about 4.5 years ago from Califronia to Georgia, kept my same job and the move would have been a great increase in income save one thing. We calculated the cost of living was 20% cheaper here. I neglected to notice though that we went from Kaiser health insurance which we had in Cali to Cigna here. That was a huge blow. Going from $15 for the birth of our daughter (including c-section and hospital stay) to a plan that I have to pay $25 for my kid to get a bloody allergy shot from a freaking nurse tech. The difference in health care has pretty much leveled the playing field. A surgery there and a cat scan here and bingo the whole yearly cost savings is gone.

5. jeff303 says:

LOL nice picture

6. shoegazer says:

I relocated to London after being offered a permanent position. It helps if you’re single, obviously, but making the move was one of the best decisions I ever made.

My company did provide a generous relocation package. If questions 3 & 4 don’t dissuade you, then it comes down to a careful analysis of the relocation benefits. Always ask for a househunters’ fund rather than a fixed period of hotel / rental accomodation (while you look for a place to live).

7. lilyHaze says:

I “relocated” for a job too. In fact, it took me longer to find a job because I specifically wanted to move away from my parents. It is tough. I definitely have a higher COL, and it’s tough being alone in a new city.

But I’m single with no spouse or kids, so it was really easy for me. Pack up my stuff, find a place to rent, and move.

8. My wife and I just relocated to Atlanta (she got into a phd program and I was lucky to find a job i really like here), but i can say one thing for sure about relocating: It costs more, more, more than you ever imagine.

Still, I think for a certain type of personality, the thrill of moving to a new place is worth it. Why stay in the same town forever?

9. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

@Red_Eye: But look at how much better Cigna’s coverage is than Kaiser..I actually quit a job because we were moving our health insurance to Kaiser….F U Kaiser U Suck. They almost let my wife bleed to death because whe wasn’t a priority patient. it was just a cut on her chin..of course I guess you can call the upper neck a part of your chin… SO after waiting like 2 hours and soaking 3 towels she finally got in to see a doctor and immediatley had to have a blood transfusion becuase she had lost so much blood….grrrrr Kaiser sucketh.

10. Consumer-X says:

Remember: Most people work as “at will” employees. In most states this means that one can be fired for “any reason or no reason at all”. This means the day you show up for work after a costly relocation could be your last at the whim of your employer. Make sure the company you relocate for is financially secure and they are not the subject of takeover rumors.

11. Matthew says:

What a strange and unnecessary list! I can’t think of four more obvious questions. I’m trying to imagine the person who would move without mulling them over automatically, and I think he lacks the brainpower to answer them anyway.

12. Instigator says:

Also, be sure that there are other jobs in your industry in the new location. If you’re laid off or the company goes under, you’re much more likely to find new employment in your field. Beware if you’re a highly paid professional moving to a town that’s top-heavy with minimum-wage jobs – especially if your employer is the only one within that particular industry in the area.