IKEA Opens Hostel For Shoppers Who Just Can't Bear To Leave

If you plan on shopping at the Oslo IKEA any time soon, don’t worry about how you’ll get home. You can sleep there, according to the Guardian.

IKEA is opening up a “hostel” for shoppers who need to stay and extra day to finish their shopping. There will even be a bridal suite. From the Guardian:

“It will be like an alternative hostel,” said company spokesman Frode Ullebust.

“There will be the regular dormitory with lots of beds stacked up together. We will also have a bridal suite, with a round bed and a hanging chandelier, and the luxury suite, where customers can enjoy breakfast in bed,” he said. Family rooms will also be available for parents and children to join into the Ikea fun. None of the guests will be charged for their stay.

“The shop opens at 10am so if they are lazy, people might get woken up by shoppers testing out their mattresses,” said Mr Ullebust.

Customers will also be able to take their bedsheets home afterwards. “It’s a nice souvenir,” he added, “We will also give them bathrobes with the Ikea Hostel logo on, and some slippers, so they won’t get cold at night.”

Would you sleep in an IKEA if they let you? According to the Guardian there will be space for 30 shoppers per night.

Check in to the Ikea bridal suite for a flat-pack honeymoon [Guardian via BoingBoing]
(Photo:Ben Popken)

Comments

1. missdona says:

Nooo. Nooo. Nooo. This thought is horrifying to me.

I feel panic attacky everytime I walk into Ikea. So I pretty much avoid it.

2. TWinter says:

I’m just surprised that they are doing it for free. Won’t they be overrun by teenage backpackers who want to see Oslo on the cheap?

3. Schminteresting says:

So, let me get this straight–you get a place to stay, a set of sheets, a robe and slippers, all for free? Sounds like quite a deal to me!

4. Wormfather says:

…only if they throw in some of those cinni-buns.

Yum.

5. timmus says:

This is NOT A HOSTEL… it is a promotional stunt that lasts a week and has already filled its quota of about 100 guests out of 1000 received applications. It’s just a sleepover that’s gotten some very juicy PR. Very misleading news story!!

6. nffcnnr says:

What they don’t tell you is that guests are required to unpack and put together the beds themselves. And lots of screws and other required hardware will be missing.

7. hustler says:

Its just a retail store. Siome people need to reassess their lives.

8. dbeahn says:

Given that a lot of people make a day trip to get to a city with an Ikea store, I totally get this concept. I think it’s pretty cool of Ikea to offer this for their customers.

9. dbeahn says:

@timmus: You’re right – this is just a PR stunt. Whoever posted this blog summary really should have included that bit of info…

10. SBR249 says:

Honeymoon at IKEA? What a great idea! We can get new furniture for the apartment while we are at it!

11. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

You know, I hate to say this, but if IKEA really DID open up a dormitory-style lodging, people would probably stay there!

I mean, hey…meatballs for dinner..lingonberry drink and Stoli before bed….$1.99 breakfast in the morning..and if you stayed the whole night, somebody might actually get around to waiting on you or you might reach the end of the checkout line (although I’m still not sure I’d bet on it).

12. Schminteresting says:

@nffcnnr: You win. That was pretty good. I’m still chuckling! :)

13. SprayBottle says:

I’m addicted to the store, so that does sound like a good idea. But, I think I’d be afraid I’d be raped by some angry employee or something. Or one of those creepy stuffed animals. Those look a little shady too.

14. synergy says: