Sara Lee Bread Recalled, Full Of Small Pieces Of Metal

Several loaves of bread manufactured by Sara Lee are being recalled because they are potentially full of small pieces of metal.

Fun!

Not all states are affected by this recall, so listen up.

If you live in:

• Mississippi
  • Alabama
  • Southeastern Missouri
  • Western Georgia
  • Southwestern Tennessee
  • Southeastern Louisiana
    or

• The Florida Panhandle

…and you purchased any of the following products with a sell by date of July 25, 2007 or August 7, 2007 with the code “222″ on it, throw it away or call Sara Lee at 800 683-3466.

Metal Bread List:

Sara Lee Delightful 100% Multi-Grain, 7294571588

Sara Lee Hearty & Delicious 100% Whole Wheat with Honey, 7294560152

Sara Lee Hearty & Delicious 100% Whole Wheat, 7294560157

Sara Lee Hearty & Delicious 100% Multi-Grain, 7294560158

Sara Lee Deli Style 100% Whole Wheat, 7294561001

Don’t eat metal bread!

Precautionary Bread Recall Alert Issued for Sslected Whole Wheat Fresh Bread Products (PDF) [Sara Lee]

Comments

1. crichardson79 says:

Sara Lee makes the best bread.

2. beyond says:

Its a prize! A jagged metal KrustyO in every bag!

3. Murraythedog says:

Aren’t they supposed to find these types of things BEFORE they get to the store shelves? Quality control, anyone?

4. RandomHookup says:

Gee, all these food recalls are gonna make it hell when I volunteer at the Food Bank tomorrow.

5. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@crichardson79:

IMHO Pepperidge Farms is much, much better.

6. Recury says:

It seems to me like the recalls lately aren’t just “you will get sick and maybe die” but “yes, you will die, and in an awful, horrible way too.”

7. rickspeaks says:

Where are all the references to imports from China?

8. Recury says:

Oh, and can you ban anyone who tries to make a daily-supply-of-iron joke?

9. B says:

Krusty brand bread, now with jagged metal shards in every loaf!

10. queen_elvis says:

Nobody doesn’t like broken teeeeeeth!

11. SexCpotatoes says:

I work in a factory/commercial bakery. Sounds like somebody didn’t verify that the metal detector was working. They have metal detectors on the lines that will blow or drop loaves/buns etc if the slightest bit of metal is detected. We even have “detectible” band-aids at work in case someone has a band-aid fall off.

I don’t make the Sarah Lee breads or anything, but yeah, somebody fucked up big time by not testing the metal detector on their shift (I wouldn’t think the detector would pass a guy throwing a pen through to test it, but fail on all those loaves of bread). The bread cooler at my bakery is 2 miles long, and they make hundreds of thousands of loaves per shift. They chunk out the dough as well for loaves, so there’s a lot less chance of seeing a contaminant such as shards of metal in the bread pans. I work on the bun lines, so those are a lot easier to see if they have a crusty chunk of dough or anything in them and toss them out.

12. JayXJ says:

@Recury:

How about ‘Iron Fortified’ instead?

13. Havok154 says:

So, what constitutes the border between living in Georgia and Western Georgia? Same with the southeastern/southwestern parts of the other states.

14. homerjay says:

My favorite part of this is seeing just who companies are private labeling for. Publix wheat is actually Sara Lee. Neat! So is Schnucks! Who the hell is Schnucks??? What kinda name is SCHNUCKS for bread???

15. nate4096 says:

@Homerjay
    Schnucks is a grocer in some of the affected areas. I’ve shopped there a couple times.

16. breny says:

Yikes–just looked and I have the bread in the picture in my kitchen–code 222. I live on the Florida Panhandle.

17. AcidReign says:

@SexCpotatoes: I work in a soft-drink factory, and we tried one of those metal-detectors a few years back. (Occasionally, a metal vent-tube from a filling valve falls out into a drink. Not a big, dangerous deal, but customers don’t like big scary-looking hunks of metal in their drinks, generally!) The detector was supposed to stop the line and go nuts if metal were in the bottle.

In our experience, no matter how high we turned up the sensitivity, it only got about 33% of 2-liter bottles with a tube in them. The way we detect lost tubes these days, is that first, the valve with no vent tube in it will not fill properly. You’re going to get an empty bottle out of that valve. Once that’s noticed, the line is shut down, and folks descend on the line to try and find the tube visually. If that fails, the entire run is put on hold, and has to be sorted. If the tube is not found, the entire run to that point has to be destroyed.

Trust me, companies DO NOT want foreign objects in their product. It’s messy, expensive, and damages the brand’s reputation. I’m kind of shocked that this happened at Sara Lee. They’re a premium brand in Alabama. Someone’s head may roll. Falsifying quality checks where I work is a getting-fired-the-first-time offense.

18. Nemesis_Enforcer says:

@queen_elvis: Yeah but for the most part the areas effected aren’t known for their ummm dental hygine?

19. EastBayAnt says:

Metal bread! m/

20. Xabora says:

@crichardson79: for Robots.

21. Smashville says:

I find it depressing that IronKids bread is not on the recall…

22. notebook says:

How the hell does metal get into bread? Really, I have to ask. Besides the idea that some equipment is old and dropping small chips into the bread dough.

23. Tristan Smith says:

I’ve got to get some of this bread. Is it still on shelves? I was really wondering what would go good with the recalled peter pan peanut butter.

24. ribex says:

Since when does several = thousands?

25. The Walking Eye says:

It could also be from the very start of the process. I’ve had experience in a pet food plant, and when the grains are delivered from the truck they pass through metal detectors that take out anything that’s magnetic. They just have a really powerful magnet that grabs on to the stuff, even dusts and larger chunks stay on the magnet.

26. tobashadow says:

@rndmideas: The exploding can’s of chilli of course

duhh

27. TechnoDestructo says:

I found a sewing needle in a loaf of Wonder bread once.

28. Rusted says:

@Recury: Surely one wouldn’t object to more ferrous fiber, or extremely fortified?

29. JRuiz47 says:

I got two loaves of Sara Lee (not the affected bread) for free as a promotion at a minor league ballpark last week.

Why is MiLB trying to kill me?

30. Hobo-NC says:

About 20-25 years ago, my mom found a piece of metal in a loaf of Pepperidge Farm bread–looked like a piece of a paper clip. She wrote a letter, and a couple weeks later, a PF truck pulled up to the house and the guy asked my mom to come out to the truck and take some things–whatever she wanted. Kind of a cool apology, IMO.

31. Peekoos says:

Damn, I guess what they say is true. “Nobody does it like Sara Lee!”

32. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

I’m afraid that as long as food is manufactured in huge factories, you’re going to get the occasional contamination of product (unless it’s China, where they just don’t care or do it on purpose).

If in doubt, take all your bread to the local airport and take it through the metal detector with you. Whatever is contaminated, you can just give to the TSA.

Don’t…I repeat DON’T bring your cheese along with it.

33. Ncisfan says:

Sarah Lee presents new Simply Metalicious bread!!
    now MEGA fortified 10x the daily serving of heavy metals, ENJOY!