You could make extra cash ($15 an hour) by becoming a “standardized patient,” but you’ll have to learn to recreate symptoms and deal with being the first patient these medical students have examined. The only thing better than a cold stethoscope is a cold, shaky, stethoscope. [Slate]

Comments

1. B says:

Just like Kramer did. Hope for Jaundice.

2. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

Wasn’t this in an episode of Sienfeld? Where Kramer and the dwarf (is that correct???) both want jaundice(sp?).

3. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

@B: Ah, you beat me to it!

“He gave me chlamidia!”

4. wiltony says:

I’m trying to figure out what this has to do with the consumerist. “Shoppers bite back”, isn’t it?

Is the consumerist running out of content and is now just linking to interesting articles they find?

What’s next, lolcats?

5. acceptablerisk says:

Interestingly enough, my first job (one that issued an actual paycheck) was as a standardized patient. It’s pretty much just as the article described, except without the whole bra awkwardness.

6. leftistcoast says:

Backing slowly away from the pariapism joke grenade…

7. Snakeophelia says:

There’s been a rash (ha-ha) of articles about standardized patients lately. One thing they seldom mention, for whatever reason, is that physicians must pass an exam that uses standardized patients in order to get a license to practice medicine in the US. Most articles I see focus on the schools that use SPs (probably because many of these articles are recruitment attempts), but it’s the national exam that’s driving a lot of this interest within the schools.

8. digitalgimpus says:

Kramer: Our eyes met across the crowded hat store. I, a customer, and she a coquettish haberdasher.
    Oh, I pursued and she withdrew, then she pursued and I withdrew, and so we danced. I burned for her, much like the burning during urination that I would experience soon afterwards.

Student: Gonorrhea?!

Kramer: Gonorrhea!

Ah, what a great Seinfeld episode.

9. etinterrapax says:

Or: “He’s stealing my cirrhosis!”

It was a desirable disease because he got to wear makeup.

10. ‘I got gonorrhea!!’