Why stay shackled to your couch when you can time-shift your HDTV? As part of its continuing fight to remain relevant, TiVo has introduced an HD-DVR priced at $299.

Comments

1. hollerhither says:

Love my TiVo, would like to upgrade to HD, but:
    1)The $299 doesn’t grandfather my lifetime subscription, which means we’re still talking $598 for 3 years of service.
    2)TiVo says only their plug-in works for wireless on this unit, another investment.
    3)There are reportedly “issues” with HD TiVo and Comcast’s crummy HD box.

2. chemman says:

I agree Holler, I wish I could transfer my lifetime service too. A bigger problem for me is these units don’t work with satellite and I’m not about to give up my NFL Sunday ticket, to get an HD Tivo. I had been waiting patiently for this unit to be annouced to buy it and dump my DirecTv HD-DVR, but it looks like I’m stuck with it for a while longer.

3. CreativeLinks says:

I use the Hughes HD-Tivo, had it for three years and love it. Still works as great as the day I got it.

4. Buran says:

I’ve been recording HDTV on a TiVo since near the end of last year.

The only real news here is that there’s a feature-stripped (though not where it really counts) cheaper version of the box I’ve got.

But you can’t transfer a Lifetime subscription onto it like I did, so that “cheaper” box will cost you more over time than mine cost me, even counting the transfer fee I did have to pay to move Lifetime off my Series 2 non-HD model.

5. Buran says:

@hollerhither: You have to use the Tivo wireless card to get WPA wireless security anyway due to the card being able to offload processing from the DVR, so it’s worthwhile — secure that network! WEP can be broken in under a minute, even on 128-bit, so if you think you’re secure with WEP, think again.

It looks cool too, but that’s not why I bought it.

And you’re pretty much guaranteed to have compatibility with it, unlike the version headaches you get with third-party cards.

6. Buran says:

@chemman: Why not buy a DirecTiVo on eBay? There are HD versions out there — my bf has one of them. It works nicely, although it seems to be stuck on an older version of the software that doesn’t have one-touch delete.

7. Buran says:

@hollerhither: Oh, and by the way, you don’t NEED a set-top box when you have an HD TiVo. You ditch the box and replace it with a pair of CableCARDs.

8. axiomatic says:

I have an series 3 HD Tivo and have not looked back. TV is fun again.

9. hollerhither says:

@Buran:
    Excellent, thanks for the tips. (Yeah, I know I need to work on security. Fortunately I kind of live in the boonies.)