Improv Everywhere Protests Wendy's Stereotypical Depiction Of Redheads

Improv Everywhere – a ragtag group dedicated to poking holes in the social contract by causing “scenes of chaos and joy in public places” – recently staged a rally that highlights how corporate logos are often ridiculous caricatures. The group gathered a batch of redheads in mock protest against Wendy’s stereotypically pasty and freckled redheaded logo. Watch the NAARP (National Association for the Advancement of Redheaded People) get red with anger as they lobby to give Wendy some pigment.

Redheads [Improv Everwhere]

Comments

1. ptkdude says:

As a red-haired person, the Wendy’s logo is just as offensive to me as Aunt Jemima, Uncle Ben and the Cream of Wheat guy are to African-Americans.

2. rosy501 says:

Improv Everywhere cracks me up. Their website, with the videos and intricate descriptions of their missions, was a full night of entertainment for me. I particularly enjoyed “Look Up More”, “Slo-Mo Home Depot”, “Rob” and “Cell Phone Symphony”, although they’re all worth a look.

And before anyone does it, don’t take them too seriously because they don’t themselves.

(commence “IE are losers” comments… sigh…)

3. Thrust says:

GINGERS!!!!!!

This is the world’s single most RetARdEd group of activists.

4. EvilTapioca says:

Since I’m a red head with freckles I find this hilarious. I’d like to join the NAARP. XD

5. Chicago7 says:

Does the carpet match the curtains, that’s what I want to know!

Redheads are hot!

6. Exek says:

Improv Everywhere are genius lol The time they went into Best Buy is a classic.

7. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Those guys are great. I’m sure Wendy’s is probably more than happy to have the free publicity. Is it just me, or would a double combo with chili taste good right now?

8. Recury says:

This seems like one of those “viral” ad campaigns or something. I hate those.

9. vr4z06gt says:

hahahahahah i saw these guys outside of the wendys in Northampton MA on Monday, I had no idea what they were doing but it looked funny and there were a few reports taking photos and what not. Now I get it.

10. Thrust says:

I wonder how fun it would be if Wendy’s introduced a new line of Ginger products because of this… And subtle ones.

Ginger beef burger
    new Ginger Ale slurpee
    Cinnamon and Ginger turnovers
    Gingersnap cookies…

11. Thrust says:

OOOh, or installed TVs and played that southpark episode…

12. timmus says:

My impression of IE is that it’s a great idea, but they’re not really giving it that extra oomph for humor. The blue-shirted Best Buy crowd prank was about the closest they’ve come to the mark. It’s when it crosses the line into a sociology experiment that it becomes cool.

13. WhatsMyNameAgain says:

mmmm…. Junior bacon cheeseburgers, no tomato. Biggie fries.

I cummed.

14. y2julio says:

Gotta love NYC. Never a dull moment in this city.

15. The HZA. says:

@WhatsMyNameAgain: That’s what I always order. With a Dr Pepper.

16. ivieso says:

The ridiculous thing is there is a NAARP. Are you serious? I dont know what to even say about that.

17. sonichghog says:

Of course they do not all ave freckles. Beware of the DayWalkers….. :)

18. Amsterdaam says:

@ivieso:

Are you daft? Check out the website before you comment. They MAKE THIS STUFF UP!

19. Godz says:

@ivieso: 1st word of the subject “improv”

20. Scuba Steve says:

Gingers!

21. no.no.notorious says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAA

well every red head i know has freckles…so i think it’s a stereotype for a reason. i think there are about a billion other things to be offended over besides redheads, with or without freckles.

22. Wormfather says:

@ptkdude:

As a black person, I’ve got no problem with any of those trademarks.

Now Al Sharpton on the other hand, can go to hell.

23. ancientsociety says:

Wow, that was dumb. Not funny. And I don’t see how this pertains to anything “consumerist”.

I also see a lot of dye-jobs in that “rally”.

-from a Redhead w/o freckles

24. RandomHookup says:

I am so joining NAARP. Before my shit turns grey.

25. eightfifteen says:

The Wendy character is actually based, loosely, on the daughter of Dave Thomas. Rumor has it, the drawing is actually very kind to her appearance.

26. boughy says:

This is a complete waste of space on this site. These people are just wasting time and energy on nothing. It would be different if it was actually funny, but it is not. I never thought you would post an article that is such a waste of space. This group of people need to find jobs or work on something that makes a difference. I could care less if they mean nothing by this. Why take the time to make up more bullshit in the world.

27. Voyou_Charmant says:

Gingers are genetically inferior. So who cares?

28. @thisaintsweettea: it’s science!

but really, what about ronald mcdonald. that dude’s the pastiest redhead ever and he’s make clowns out of redheads everywhere. and you know, the burger king king is just a caricature of real kings…and i’m offended. and the quaker cereal guy? goddamn is that guy scary.

29. Dom says:

I wonder how many welfare checks they collected while wasting all their time with this.