Recalls: Dog Food and Chili Recalled From Same Manufacturer

We’ve always had the sneaking suspicion that canned chili and dog food were one and the same. Adding fuel to that fire, Connors Bros and Castleberry’s expanded a recall of their pet and human foods after the canned meat products were found to contain botulism. The FDA has announced that four people have already taken ill. Here’s hoping they were eating the chili, and not the dog food.

A complete list of recalled products is here.

Connors Bros. Shares Drop on Expanded Recall Linked to Botulism [Bloomberg]

Comments

1. banned says:

As a Canadian I would like to say, ahem, sorry aboot that guys!

2. acambras says:

When I was a kid, my dad and I used to eat Castleberry Brunswick Stew often. It kinda looked like dog food, but I thought it was pretty tasty.

I guess Rover probably would have thought it was pretty tasty, too.

3. CaptainConsumer says:

@rocnrule:

As an American I’d like to say milk should come in cartons, not bags

4. MeOhMy says:

LOL…I won’t feed my dog canned dog food because it’s so disgusting, but slap a label on the canned dog food that says “Chili” and I’ll eat it without thinking twice! I wouldn’t give the leftovers to the dog, so at least I’m consistent on one thing.

5. bluemeep says:

And I was going to make Frito pie later.

Blech. Forget that now.

6. oldhat says:

Holy shit it’s time for public executions, Chinese-style.

I say we start shooting executives in the face when the company fucks up. Then…maybe…we’ll get some accountability.

Plus, nobody will complain that they didn’t earn it…in fact, nobody will want the job, which is as it should be.

7. JayXJ says:

I’ve tried Castleberry canned chili before. The stuff I feed my wife’s dog looks BETTER.

8. B says:

I always suspected dog food and canned chili were related.

9. lincolnparadox says:

OK, so some people have said that the chili tastes good. Has anyone tasted the dog food? Maybe it’s tasty, like chipped beef or cowboy caviar.

@CaptainConsumer: Once you buy the funny plastic pitchers that fit your bags, you never will go back to carton milk. Bags are more economical for the dairy and more environmentally friendly.

10. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Hmm, Castleberry’s stew is one of the last-ditch “oh-my-god, there’s no-more-food-in-the-house” meals. It tastes okay, but there’s always a nice skimming of grease on top which doesn’t exactly scream “yummy.”

11. Phyltre says:

As a big fan of Castleberry’s chili offerings, I can honestly say this won’t affect my eating habits at all. They’ve shut the plant down so statistically, Castleberry food product will be some of the safest canned foods you can eat once they start production again.