Shoppers Hate Skinny Jeans: Walmart Apparel Chief Resigns

Let’s face it. Your average body-type does not look good in tapered-leg skinny jeans. We’re not even saying “average body type” as code for “fatty.” We actually mean it. Regular people look bad in these fashions and do not want to purchase cheap Walmart versions of them. People want to buy socks at Walmart. Big bags of socks.

We know this, but Walmart’s Apparel Chief Claire A. Watts didn’t. She’s resigned from her position after Walmart’s attempt to snag some of the trendy clothes market failed miserably.

From the Washington Post:

Watts’s duties will be split between Mark Larsen, who oversaw merchandise for babies, children and men, and Dottie Mattison, who worked for Walmart.com.

Marshal Cohen, a senior analyst with consumer research firm NPD Group, said Watts’s departure did not mean that fashion was dead at Wal-Mart. But he said the retailer needed to refocus on the desires of its core customers rather than chase after trendsetters.

Watts had pushed Walmart’s trendy line “Metro 7″ into 1500 stores nationwide. The skinny pants and slutty tops confused and frightened shoppers who were there looking for toilet paper and huge jars of pickles.

Wal-Mart’s Fashion Maven Departs As Trendy Merchandise Languishes [Washington Post]
(Photo:ashcroft54)

Comments

1. SaveMeJeebus says:

Back to camoflage stretch pants and Looney Toons t-shirts. And radioactive flip-flops.

2. G-Dog says:

I hate it when decision makers forget the difference between normal humans and the bipedal aliens on MTV.

3. Rahnee says:

I guess now we will be seeing more stretch pants with the words “bootylicious” enblazened across the butt soon. Well others will anyway. As soon as our 2 new grocery stores are finished I will be shopping there instead. I’ll pay a few extra dollars just so I don’t have to see all those freaky smiley face signs. They creep me out.

4. mopar_man says:

People want to buy socks at Walmart.

I don’t. I don’t want to buy ANYTHING there.

The town I live in is amazing. On any given day, you can go out (to the grocery store, for a walk, to the mall, etc.) and see 2 or 3 people wearing the same Wal-Mart junk clothes. In my town, there is a pretty good selection of clothing stores for the population.

5. TWinter says:

Shopping really is all about habits. Even the people who like skinny jeans just aren’t in the habit of looking for them at Wal*Mart.

I don’t do much shopping at Wal*Mart, but I never go there looking for clothes and I never look at the clothes when I go. They would have to do something pretty radical to get me to be a clothes shopper.

6. G-Dog says:

We have Meijer around here. It’s like Wal*Mart, only it’s privately owned by Michigan residents. Meijer stores also don’t have that smell that Wal*Mart does.

7. clarient says:

They sell clothes at Wal*Mart?

Yuck.

8. kerry says:

@clarient: Yuck, indeed. I went to buy some cheap shirts at the new Wal-Mart down the road when I was in college, and deemed them too cheap even for me. I went to the old K-mart across the road and bought a couple tank tops (which I still own to this day, nearly a decade later).
    Also, even most “pretty” people look just awful in skinny jeans, which I think explains why I never see them on anybody outside of paparazzi photos, and I live in a large, fashion-conscious city.

9. SaraAB87 says:

This does not surprise me given walmart’s customer base at least in my town. Honestly walmart should be busy creating a plus-sized children’s line of clothing and a plus plus sized line of clothing for adults rather than creating skinny jeans that 70% of walmart shoppers are not able to fit into! But of course skinny jeans are cheaper to create instead of creating clothes that walmart shoppers will actually fit into and buy. As soon as the new shipments of clothes come in here all the biggest sizes in shoes, clothing you name it are gone, and all thats left are size 5-6 shoes and size 5 and under pants and shirts in size small!

10. AcidReign says:

Sam’s Club has better deals on big bags of crew socks. Walmart quit carrying the good Wilson heavy-duty crews. You now have a choice of paying an astronomical $3 a pair for Dickies, or buying the off-brand, super-crappy Starter socks. I bought a bag of Starters a while back, and put on a pair for a tennis match with my son. Three sets, people, and those socks already had three holes in them!

The Sam’s Club socks are under the “B-active” brand name, and they’ve been decent, so far. They’re not quite as thick as the Wilsons, but hey, at $6 and some change for ten pairs, you can’t beat that. For work, I buy expensive hiking socks from Academy Sports, and I wear a pair of crew socks over the hiking socks. Steel-toed boots require padding…

For jeans, it’s Goody’s, and Levi 517 boot cut, all the way, for me. They’re less than $25 a pair, never go out of style, and last for at least five years. The Walmart crap already looks worn-out and ripped, hanging on the store hangers. Who would be stupid enough to buy that?

11. agent2600 says:

the fact that normal is fat is scary to me.

i’m sorry, but if you are overweight, the fact that you allow your body to be like that grosses me out

I’m 6” and 155 pounds, by all health standards unless I was more muscular that is what a human is supposed to weight at my height

when people call me skinny it scares me

12. agent2600 says:

er i meen feet not inches

13. no.no.notorious says:

especially the people shopping at walmart will NOT look good in skinny jeans, i think we can all make that conclusion

whoever thought so is in denial

14. LAGirl says:

what about skinny jeans with a Walmart Nazi T-Shirt to hide your muffin top?

15. kidzmatter2me says:

In my town, we have two options for shopping: Wal-Mart Supercenter (it was one of the first north of the Ohio River), or the local grocery store. That’s it. If we drive half an hour, we can get to a bigger city with more amenities. I have appreciated Wal-Mart’s recent choice to add more “fashion-conscious” (for people who lean towards the Aeropostale/Abercrombie/Am. Eagle style) items lately. I would still rather shop at a better store, yes, but when your parents pay for your clothing, Wal-Mart is pretty good. I hope that they don’t change too much.

16. synergy says:

@agent2600: thanks for the clarification. I thought you were giving T.M.I. ;)

17. synergy says:

I used to shop at Meijer’s over a decade ago and I was in northern Indiana. I thought it was an Indiana store although considering how close I was to Michigan, I suppose it being a Michigan store instead makes sense.

18. Amy Alkon says:

Size inflation is scary. I’m 5’9″, and thin but not skinny…a normal looking woman by standards of previous generations, before America blimped out. (I don’t diet or weigh myself, so I’m not sure what I weigh). Anyway, size inflation has gotten so insane that I had to get a size zero skirt taken in at the waist, and I ordered a size 8 pair of Donna Karan pants, which turned out to be enormo in the waist and will have to be taken in. I don’t know who’s wearing whatever size 12 is these days, but if I meet them, I’ll try to steer them away from sitting on any antique chairs!

19. smallestmills says:

@Amy Alkon:
    It’s called vanity sizing, and I hear ya. I’m 5 even and 100 lbs, so I’m petite, and most stores have sized me out. I’m a true 4, but because of the vanity sizing, at places like Old Navy (where I bought MY skinny jeans, thank you) and Express, I’m down to a zero on bottom, XXS (what the hell is double extra small?) on top. It’s all so people can fool themselves and buy a large instead of 2XL. They have the gall to make comments to me about having to buy a 2xS when they pretend their fat asses are a “size eight” or a “large”. Fashion is for thin people. The rest can buy tapered jeans at Wal*Mart.

20. smallestmills says:

@kidzmatter2me:

I have cousins that live in rural U.P. Michigan (Copper Harbor, all the way up). When I see them, they’re always wearing trendy clothes, even though until recently, their only shopping option was a crappy mall a couple hours away and a Wal*Mart. Luckily, they have the internet and a measuring tape, and are able to shop online to be able to have a little more choice than those who haven’t figured that out.

21. EvilTapioca says:

I’d rather go to the local good will store or yardsales and buy clothes than walmart. At least the good will stores and yard sales have clothes that won’t disintegrate in a year. And where else can you find gently used Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger for 2.50,not to mention Doc Martins for $5. XD

22. jnkdaniel says:

i do believe walmart was attempting to change the demographics of its customers. i don’t blame them.

these people severely struggle at operating a self checkout.

23. RebekahSue says:

@Rahnee: I just ordered a bike from a local bike shop. Wal Mart just opened about two miles away. I gave the bike shop people the Wal Mart price (I’d looked up comparable bikes so I’d know what I should be paying) and the slightly higher Amazon.com price. The owner did some figuring and said that, after assembling, I’d “only” be paying $20 more if I went with them. I responded, “Yeah, but I’d have to sell my soul, too…”
    I’m going with the local bike shop, who will stand behind the merchandise and will only sell me what I need to go with it. (And the bike shop will show me – I haven’t owned a bike since second grade but don’t want to buy so much gasoline – how to maintain it, how much air should be in the tires, et cetera.)

24. timmus says:

Fuck. I get my clothes at Wal-Mart. I want to redeem myself. Where should a 30 lbs overweight, late 30s guy order clothes over the Internet?

25. timmus says:

(and not look like a dork or be shopping at a place that sells toothpick-shaped, toned body fashions?)

26. chaosgirl says:

I see alot of people around here wear Walmart clothes. The reason: it’s the cheapest way around here. Alot of people can’t aafford to spend a bunch of money on clothes; they have to support kids and pay bills. The jobs don’t pay much around here, and not many people can by a pair of $80 jeans.

27. I’ve never purchased clothes at a Walmart. However, I used to purchase some clothing items from Target (when I lived in the US). Occasionally they did have some cute stuff. But, for the most part, I just bought big packs of men’s undershirts. Target had great deals on Hanes beefy t’s … I miss Target :(

28. frogman31680 says:

Here is something that Wal-Mart is good for.

Our local talk radio station had what they called “Undercover Wal-Mart”

They had someone go in and talk on their cell phone and relate what they saw to the rest of the crew in the parking lot. They kept a running tally of certain things such as:

Women with children in strollers
    Guys wearing NASCAR clothes
    Goth kids
    and such…

You get the idea. They got kicked out after about an hour, but the beauty of it was they just drove 15 minutes to the other Wal-Mart.

29. rkm12 says:

@G-Dog: I love Meijer, the prices aren’t bad and I love having groceries and other stuff in the same place. Plus the ones I know of are open 24 hours.

30. bohemian says:

Walmart just needs to understand their real place in the world. Fashion center it is not.

Skinny jeans look awful even on most in shape people. I was fit (athlete) in the 80′s and they looked awful on me because I had muscular thighs.

I quit buying socks even at Target, they have gone downhill too. Instead I find brand name (adiddas etc) socks at places like Nordstrom rack or TJ maxx

31. hoo_foot says:

If Wal-Mart wants to attract more affluent customers, then they need to realize that said customers aren’t interested in new gimmicky product lines. They’re interested in a shopping experience that won’t drive them mad. I pay more to shop at Target because the aisles are wider, the shelves are routinely stocked, and there are more than two people manning the registers during peak hours.

32. Buran says:

@agent2600: I’m sorry, but if you complain about the fact that most people have trouble finding clothes that look good on them, thats just plain rude and insensitive. Complain all you want but it’s none of your business. Are you their physician? I doubt it. Until then …

33. DTWD says:

Skinny(Cigarette) jeans are hideous on EVERYONE, even skinny bitches.

34. f3rg says:

I don’t buy jeans at Wal-Mart, but I’m sure they’re following the same straight-leg boot-cut crappola that every other store is doing. I’m athletic (which isn’t the same as “thin”, which designers seem to think; I actually have muscle), and I prefer baggy jeans. Not so much JNCO’s (dear God), but slightly baggier than loose fitting. I’m not currently able to find any store on the planet that sells jeans that are as relaxed as I like, so I just have to take care of what I already own.

Note to retailers: that means you’re losing out on my money by not selling what I want.

35. smallestmills says:

@f3rg:

Shop at Levi’s, either online or brick-and-mortar. They will make you custom fit jeans. They cost $60-70, which is very affordable for an item of clothing that people REALLY should buy to fit correctly.

Straight-leg boot-cut isn’t crap…it’s about time people tried to look good in jeans instead of looking like a farmer.

36. @Amy Alkon: “I don’t know who’s wearing whatever size 12 is these days, but if I meet them, I’ll try to steer them away from sitting on any antique chairs!”

Thanks, Amy, that’s really sweet of you. My rounded Irish ass and I appreciate your snide mockery.

As does my mother’s healthy, thin, GAVE BIRTH TO FOUR CHILDREN hips and ass. I’m sure she’s delighted that because she’s got a normal body for a 50+ women who gave birth to multiple children, you will prevent her from sitting on any antique chairs and mock her for being fat.

Really charming.

37. SovietBear says:

I’m rather appalled by the amount of weight hatred in this comment line. I’m 5’8′ 205 lbs (primarily muscle), and have been for seven years. I don’t exercise often, and my diet is still what I’d refer to as ‘urban poor’, but I keep myself in decent shape. That said, I find it difficult to find shirts wide enough in the chest and shoulders or pants that are not too tight in the thighs (I like to keep the ladies using their imaginations ;-)

As a person who likes girls with some heft, I’ve done quite a bit of reading on PCOS and various endocrine issues that can effect a woman’s weight. I’ve known insulin-resistant girls who couldn’t lose weight if they ran a marathon everyday. They have severe confidence and body-image issues due primarily to a hormonal imbalance beyond their control.

Not everyone is overweight because they eat too much or are lazy. And not everyone views muffin tops as a social ill :-)

38. Rahnee says:

I really have to share this photo I took at Wal-Mart and put it in the Consumerist Flickr pool. This is TYPICAL of our local Wal-Mart.

[www.flickr.com]

39. enm4r says:

@Buran: Most people are overweight and out of shape. There’s nothing rude or insensitive about that, it’s the truth.

40. chili_dog says:

Big deal, a product manager is supposed to go out and pick items that appeal to customers and Walmart has long been trying to increase their market share in the “upscale” lines. The truly sad part of this story is how woefully inept this person was at an even rudimentary understanding of the customer base she was buying for. But then again I suspect that her motivation for “trendyness” was being pushed from the top and having seen Hollywood floosies wear these goofy ass clothes in People Magazine seemed like a good idea.

After all, these folks in Bentonville, AR are just so in tune with everything America.

On a side note, why would the worlds largest retailer continue to be headquartered in a city with almost no air service and hundreds of miles from a “large city”? I’ve always wondered about this.

41. rdldr1 says:

There are varying degrees of “skinny” jeans. The “skinniest” of the jeans only look good on certain women. Guys- forgetaboutit.

BTW, people who can afford/care about nice jeans DO NOT buy jeans from Wall-Mart or Sears.

Wall-Mart clothing is the epitome of junk-quality clothing, even lower than Old Navy. At least Old Navy doesnt sell NASCAR clothing.

42. night_sky says:

“Fashion is for thin people. The rest can buy tapered jeans at Wal*Mart.”

Smallestmills, I cannot believe you said that. It is because of people like you and people in the media that there is such a thing as bulimia, anorexia, body dismorphia and other harsh eating and self-image disorders. If you are a girl, you make me really ashamed to be one myself. I really am in disbelief that you said that. And who is to decide what’s “skinny” or not? According to BMI, I’m at the weight I should be, but that doesn’t mean I fit into size 0′s or 00′s like the media portray as “normal.” And people like you encourage the belief that in order to be beautiful, you have to fit into a certain size. I’m sorry, but that just isn’t true. I’m not saying be obese, and I’m not saying be unhealthly overweight. What I am saying is this country has a SERIOUS problem with telling women what “skinny” really is. What being “beautiful and skinny” is in this country is being UNHEALTHLY skinny. I’ve bought stuff at Walmart and so has my sister. Let me tell you, she definitely is NOT overweight and she IS beautiful (as a matter of fact she was accepted as a model for Willamina a few years back). So guess what? Just because someone wants a good deal on stuff doesn’t meant they’re A. fat, or B. ugly.

I have so much more to say but I’m just going to stop here because I don’t think there is talking any kind of sense into someone with stereotypical views like yours.

43. FreakyStyley says:

@agent2600: Dude, that *is* skinny. Yes, the BMI will say that’s smack in the middle of the normal range, but the BMI is overrated .

44. enm4r says:

@night_sky: And people like you encourage the belief that in order to be beautiful, you have to fit into a certain size.

When’s the last time you saw a beautiful 300lbs person? Probably because they don’t exist. People think that they only way to combat “only media skinny is beautiful!” is with “nuh uh, everyone is beautiful!” but that isn’t the case. 0s and 00s aren’t normal, I don’t think anyone thinks that. I don’t know any magazine or Hollywood show that has ever tried to say that.

But this is missing the entire point, skinny jeans are ugly to begin with. Forget that most shoppers in general, and even less Walmart shoppers can fit into them…they shouldn’t be wanting to buy them even if they fit.

45. elf6c says:

How hard it is to stock 300 pairs of XXL Yosemite Sam sweatpants?

At least you can still get your Nazi graphic’ed T-short though right?

46. countrylife4me says:

I’m a 6ft. tall, 50ish, stocky farm gal. Finding off the rack fashionable, durable and comfortably sized clothing in Talls is nearly impossible. I have bought men’s jeans, Tshirts and sweats at WalMart for doing chores in, as those items usually come in the longer length I need. As for “pretty” everyday, office or going out clothes, WalMart has NOTHING to offer in my tall size.

I have to admit though, that a lot of retailers have dropped the ball when it comes to us tall gals (be it instore, off the rack or online ordering). Even good old JCPenny has narrowed down their selections, resized their clothing and (in my opinion) the quality and durability is questionalbe. And since sizing is never consitant between brands or apparently from one season to the next, I wind up ordering two sizes of the same thing to insure I fit into at least one of them, of course returning one. Waiting until “free shipping” offers and having the items sent to the store, make the returning process less troublesome and expensive.

47. LTS! says:

It really doesn’t matter who wants to buy what. The important note here is that a product manager made some bad choices and regardless of who would wear the jeans and where they were sold.. in this instance the jeans that Wal-mart was stocking were not popular with their customer base.

It doesn’t matter who that customer base is, this story would be just as relevant if it were fucking Hot Topic and some dumbass product manager had chosen to stock lederhosen.

Let’s call it what it is. A shot at Wal-mart just because we can take one. Frankly I get sick of the Wal-mart bashing. Business speaks for itself, and don’t blame the business for being successful. You want to change an attitude, change the consumer’s attitude, not the store, that will naturally come along.

But of course, calling the people who shop at Wal-mart 400lb fatasses with 65 children because they can’t keep their Bootylicious sweatpants where they belong probably won’t get them to listen to you much, will it.

48. JGraz says:

Walmart needs to stop trying to be “hip”. Walmart is Walmart, and it will never be Target although it seems they are slowly trying to emulate the design-for-all retailer. Their efforts and money would be better off put towards creating a more enjoyable shopping experience of its existing products that people go there for (socks, tighty whities, what have you).

Design efforts need to be redirected, Wal-mart, and that doesn’t mean being late adopters and giving people skinny jeans.

Make me enjoy buying socks.

49. night_sky says:

@enm4r: Maybe you didn’t read the part where I said, “I’m not saying be obese, and I’m not saying be unhealthly overweight. What I am saying is this country has a SERIOUS problem with telling women what “skinny” really is.” I never said “everyone is beautiful”, I said that there is such a thing as a beautiful woman who’s size is not portrayed as that in the majority of the media. 0′s and 00′s were an exaggeration to prove a point, the media portrays unrealistic, unhealthly low weights as “beautiful” and “normal.” I’m sure you’ve seen magazines with runway or fashion models, haven’t you? I’m sure you’ve seen billboard ads with disturbing anorexic women splashed across them, haven’t you? I’m sure you’ve seen the latest *enter celeb name here* with an unhealthly low weight PRAISED for losing those extra pounds, haven’t you? I don’t think I need to point out any more how the media is a strong advocate of portraying unhealthy weight as “beautiful” and “normal.”

Also, I want to add that that quote you quoted me on was referring to the extremely low weights that women are expected to be to be beautiful in according to the brainwashing media. I’m sorry for not being clear on that portion of my post.

50. enm4r says:

@night_sky: I don’t think I missed your point, I just disagree with it. Is the majority of the media filled with skinny celebs? Yeah. Are they saying that is normal? I don’t think so. Especially recently (last couple years or so) with actresses making extreme drops, I see a fair amount of media talking about how unattractive they are. I’m not a woman, so maybe I’m blind from the subtle hints that add up and really take their toll. Somehow I doubt it, but I’m open to the possibility.

I guess my point is that I don’t think the media portrays these unrealistically/unhealthily skinny girls as normal. Beautiful? Yeah, most do. But there’s a good amount of press in the other direction, chastising the same people for being ridiculously unhealthy. So my point is that I find it hard to blame the media for something when they aren’t really projecting this as normal, and the beauty part is suspect, because anyone who thinks walking skeletons are attractive, needs to talk it out in some overpriced therapy sessions.

51. night_sky says:

@enm4r: Yes, there are changes coming (thank gawd!), but it is because of the women who courageously spoke out! This didn’t happen overnight. And actually, this “movement” is a fairly recent thing. Before that, it was scarce to find a popular media outlet discussing how a celeb might be anorexic or that runway models are too skinny. Even though things are changing, it is still not uncommon to find anorexia all around the media (and even encouraged). You don’t see an ad saying “How to be anorexic in 10 easy steps!” but you do see an interview with unhealthly skinny celeb saying “Oh, I see you lost weight! You look great!” This is just one example of many. Tyra Banks is another example.

So the the tide is shifting but to think that this still does not exist and in heavily masked formats, you’d be dead wrong. I’m sorry, but whether you are aware of it or not, it is still rooted deeply into the media.

As for the beauty, if the media didn’t consider it beautiful, there would have been no way that these admitted/not admitted anorexic women would get jobs. I highly encourage you to share your thoughts of beauty with as many people as you can because unfortunately there are a lot of women out there who have low self-esteem as it is (for various reasons, related or unrelated), and constantly being exposed to these images can be severely damaging to them.

52. Anitra says:

I am also about 5’9″, but I’m not the same build as you. The smallest size I’ve ever worn in my adult life is a size 10 – anything smaller than that will not fit over my hip bones and/or shoulders.

Am I overweight? Yes, moderately. I won’t make excuses for it. But you can’t assume that everyone wearing a certain size is fat. They might just be built differently than you.

53. MMD says:

@smallestmills: So you’re a “true 4″? What exactly is “true” about any women’s sizing system? What does “4″ mean in any sizing system? Until women’s clothing sizes are uniformly based on an objective system of measurement (like the way men can buy pants that are marked with a specific waist and inseam measurement), no one is a “true” size anything.

54. SaraAB87 says:

The images are most damaging to children, teens and young women who ultimately feel a responsibility to be as thin as possible to keep up with their celebrity peers and American Idol peers. I went to a catholic high school with uniforms and even in our school there was competition to lose weight, who could eat the least and whoever at the least was considered more popular than the other girls because they were either dieting or trying to diet. Whoever lost the most weight was more respected than those who didn’t try. The fat girls (about size 22-24 plus womens) were those that didn’t have any friends, and there were several fat girls. I would imagine its much worse today.

Most older adults and adults that are well versed in the ways of the world can reject these images most of the time however I do agree every woman feels like they have to be thinner to be better at least once or twice in their life even if the woman is at a very normal body weight for their age and build. You always feel like you are expected to always lose a few pounds just because you are a woman and you could ALWAYS be better than you currently are. It just never ends.

We now have 3-4 year olds wearing high heels, mini skirts and shorts so short that they ride up with every step that is taken, so this is evident that even children who are exposed to enough images of thin women feel like they have to dress and look like them to be accepted. The children’s clothes sections in most stores are also geared super-skimpy and geared to show off as much as possible (especially the summer clothes) because these are the fashions that kids want nowadays and they will not wear anything different.

55. yasth says:

@MMD: Even waist and inseam measurements can be fudged. Though not as much.

And “officially” even women’s sizes mean some set of numbers that can be found somewhere. i.e.:
    [www.anntaylor.com]

Some of what people call vanity sizing is actually just people useing various (semi-official) “remappings” of various measurments on to numbers. So you pretty much always have to know your measurements and look up the size chart and hope they are keeping reasonably close to it. Most stores do actually honor their own size charts pretty closely, though.

56. MMD says:

@yasth: Points taken – but if Ann Taylor sizes mean one thing and Gap sizes mean another thing and Old Navy sizes mean yet another thing…then really, nothing means anything. Women should not have to memorize 30 different size “standards” before they go to the mall.

57. Sinflux says:

@MMD: Sizes are fairly standard when it comes to the sewing world. However, they are about 3-4 sizes off from what’s in most stores. (i.e. I’d wear a 14 if I were to make myself something from a pattern, but I can usually fit into a 10 in stores)

58. MMD says:

@Sinflux: Both you and yasth only prove my point. If there’s one “standard” for sewing and differing (and multiple) “standards” for clothing in stores, then I’m sorry, but there are no “standard” or “true” women’s clothing sizes. I repeat: until actual measurements in inches/centimeters are uniformly part of the language of clothing women’s clothing styles, it’s all arbitrary B.S. And I’m not holding my breath…

59. timmus says:

Thanks all for the help with my question! </sarcasm>

60. padabo says:

@timmus: Don’t be sad. I have been sitting here thinking about your request since I got online this morning, but I’m not a dude and was thinking more along the lines of… Is there an online market for this guy? I like department store websites for basics (Nordstrom, Saks, Bloomingdales), but when I look for stuff for guys, I think most of the stuff on those websites is too “trendy”, which certain men in my life might write off as “too gay”. How about Macy’s?

61. Gloria says:

I don’t trust women’s sizes anymore, and do a couple of things called “eyeballing” and “trying on lots of clothes.”

I have to do this anyway, to ensure the cut of the garment is flattering (which is not always related to the correctness of the fit). What’s the big deal? Sometimes the nature of an item of clothing necessitates a bigger or smaller size … related to the fabric, the cut, etc.

62. Gloria says:

@timmus: Along the lines of a Walmart budget … Old Navy? H&M? H&M has a little more style, but both sell perfectly “manly” t-shirts, polos, jeans, dress shirts, and shorts. I’m a girl but I get all my basics — t-shirts, camisoles, even underwear — at H&M, which always has a stock of them, cheap and without frills.

I’m not sure why, but I can’t think of anyone my age who I know regularly buys clothes at a department store.

63. acambras says:

Sorry, timmus!

I have a lot of luck at Target, except for the Isaac Mizrahi stuff which never fits me right.

64. nardo218 says:

Also, the higher quality the clothes, the lower the size. Even in the same store.

65. padabo says:

@Gloria: Department store = lame, I get it, but in their favor they offer a large selection of brands and styles available “over the Internet”. Does H&M offer online shopping? Old Navy does and I guess that is a step up from WalMart, which takes us into Banana, J Crew, Gap territory. I was interested to know if there was an ONLINE niche for “late-30s” men.

66. Gloria says:

@padabo: I never said it’s lame to shop at a department storem; nor was I trying to imply it (I say this honestly). I’ve just noticed it’s not the automatic choice anymore for lots of shoppers. I was wondering why.

Maybe it’s prices … sometimes I find awesome bargains on brand names at department stores, but since I’m on a student budget, I generally rely on individual chains for fast, cheap clothes. I’ve noticed department stores stick with pricier brands (which often have their own stores anyway).

Few people I know personally — which means tons of others don’t necessarily do the same — don’t really insist on department stores. They’re more of an alternative. That’s pretty much what I meant to say.

Online shopping is nice for those who might not have those stores within travel distance, but I still prefer going to a brick-and-mortar store when I can. This is especially so in Canada, since lots of American websites don’t ship here, and customs fees can really destroy deals.

Sorry, I must’ve misread Timmus’s question … I see now he was asking for Internet stores only. Good luck though!

67. SkyeBlue says:

I actually find it kind of a challenge to scour the clearance racks at Walmart, sometimes you can find some pretty good deals stuff maked WAY WAY down.

As for socks, the last time I bought any there they began slipping down my feet as soon as I put them on! New socks? What do they put into them now that makes them start disolving as soon as you open the bag they come in and the air hits them?

68. 3drage says:

I like the people posting about how skinny they are in here. “I have to have a size zero taken in tee hee.” “I’m a bean pole.” Just so you guys know, there is a scientific reason why people come in all shapes, sizes, and colors. And it has nothing to do with the current fashion trends.

69. samurailynn says:

@Timmus

Are you looking for jeans? I buy clothes for my husband from Pacific Sun. He likes the loose fit Bullhead jeans, and he typically wears either t-shirts or polo-type shirts. He’s 25 and maybe 15-20 pounds overweight.

70. crichardson79 says:

@agent2600: go eat a ding dong loser

71. MMD says:

@Gloria: The “big deal” about non-standard women’s clothing sizes is that this allows the clothing industry to manipulate women. “Size inflation” relies on the presumed desire for a woman to see a smaller number on her clothing in order to make her feel good and increase sales. Nonstandard sizing also allows the bridal industry to “deflate” sizes, thereby charging extra money to more women for “plus-sized” wedding gowns and bridesmaid dresses. I’m a bridesmaid in an upcoming wedding and the boutique I had to buy from defined plus sizes as size 12 and up – but a size 12 was at least 2 sizes smaller than what you’d be likely to see at a normal retail store. Bottom line – women are being lied to. That’s a big deal to me.

72. f3rg says:

I bought a pretty sweet pair of cargo shorts at Wal-Mart for $14. They look exactly (except for shade of tint) like some cargos I got at Aeropostale that were $30. And they both look basically the same as some $60 shorts at Abercrombie…

For the record, I’m <150# and I like my Wal-Mart cargos. The store still smells like sour milk, though.

73. welsey says:

The problem with buying skinny jeans at a place like Walmart or Target is that the cut is NEVER right. They never cut them skinny enough and they always just end up fitting like a pair of tapered men’s jeans. They also tend to use weird (cheap) denim and it just doesn’t quite work. Even if people want to buy their skinny jeans at Walmart it’s unlikely they’d be able to find something that looked right.

I don’t know what people are talking about, as well, saying they’ve never seen anyone outside of celeb photos wearing skinny jeans. They really are not that inaccessible and most people would actually look alright in them. It doesn’t have to be ultra-tight drainpipes, but the flare cut is so nasty. A straight leg looks so much better.

74. AlexSea says:

I’m glad the consumerist knows about fashion now. Skinny jeans actually look really hot on the right kind of girl. Aka, a hot one.

75. phoenixcat says:

I shop at WalMart for clothes- and I also shop at Nordstroms- There are just certain things I am not willing to shell out the dough for- I often see better fitting clothes at Walmart anyway- go figure. Why pay $56 for a t-shirt made in China when I can pay $8 for a t-shirt made in China?

It is a choice I make. I will agree on the jeans, although, I haven’t bought any jeans at Walmart or otherwise since the “low-rider” trend came along. I say no to crack at all stores.