LAX recently introduced free charging stations in eight terminals for phones, laptops, and personal electronics.

Comments

1. j-o-h-n says:

I’ve not been to LAX in ages, but in the ones I have been in, finding a free outlet is like gold (if your laptop has a dvd player) for those long layovers.

Take a small power strip and you’ll make all kinds of friends too…

2. yg17 says:

“To promote the free service, Samsung and LAX will have representatives at all the charging stations to show electronically challenged travelers how they work.”

Seriously….do people not know how to plug something into an electrical outlet?

3. iMike says:

Saw one in the DL terminal this week.

It wasn’t hard to find an outlet before. You just had to know where to look.

4. Meatloaf says:

“Fifty-one 8-1/2-foot-tall, pole-like charging stations have been installed throughout the boarding areas in Terminals 1 through 8 and the Tom Bradley International Terminal.”

More details: [www.intomobile.com]

I’m wondering exactly how they will work. Do you have to stand there while your phone is charging, or can you leave it there and have it secured or watched over by a rep?

5. rworne says:

@iMike:

Absolutely. Look behind trash receptacles, along walls, at the base of support posts, and those metal disks in out of the way places on the floor. They most likely will not be in plain sight.

I’m surprised actually that the airport allows “liberation” of their electricity – considering how difficult they make it to find outlets in the first place.

6. bohemian says:

I wish shopping malls and the like would have more of this type of thing. I was stranded at the Maul of America after my car broke down. I forgot my wall charger in the vehicle (sitting in the power inverter) at the dealership. So I had one notch and no charger. Nobody has those little battery powered instant chargers either. I did find a compatible wall unit and the Caribou Coffee had wall outlets all over the place. So I had coffee and called home, charged my phone etc. I looked later and the other locations and also Starbucks of course had outlets.

A charging station with adapters would have made this less of a headache.

7. bricklayer says:

The last time I was at Chicago O’Hare, I had no problem finding outlets. The trouble was, many outlets were disabled. I think my third outlet discovery worked fine.

8. smartwatermelon says:

Now if only they’d provide free WiFi, we’d be all set. Sadly, though there are about ten visible networks (at least in Terminal 1) none of them are public.