The drama continues in the battle to keep calorie information off NYC fast food menus. Subway’s compliance with the law continues to make other fast food chains look foolish.

Comments

1. AlteredBeast (blaming the OP one article at a time.) says:

For some reason, I feel the customers who are ordering the BK Eggnormous breakfast sandwich won’t be detered by having the calories posted at the register.

Also, would this need to be posted at the drive-thru? 99% of the time I ever find myself eatting fast food, it’s becasue I’m enroute somewhere and have just enough time have someone hand me food through my car window.

2. banned says:

Do people walking into Mcdonald’s really care about the calorie count?? If they care, then they shouldn’t be eating fast food in the first place. In restaurants would add far too many complications. “I’m sorry, you cannot substitute a salad for soup as the calorie count will be incorrect”.

3. Starfury says:

When I have fast food (much less lately) I know it’s bad for me. I know that that Ultimate Cheeseburger (ketchup only) and curly fries is not healthy. I don’t really want to know exactly how bad either. If I want healthy I’ll cook my own food and eat smaller portions.

I’m surprised that NY did this first…sounds more like something that would be done here in California.

4. mopar_man says:

Something tells me that the people with the 48″ waists that park in the handicap stalls won’t really care either way. They’ll still order their Big Mac meal supersized with a Diet Coke.

5. suburbancowboy says:

I’m more concerned with the actual ingredients than the calorie count. I will absolutely avoid any food with MSG or Aspartame in it, because not only are they really unhealthy, they really screw with my system.
    I think consumers should have the right to know what is in the food they eat, and if the companies aren’t hiding anything, they shouldn’t mind letting us know.
    Most people who eat at McDonald’s really don’t care about the content.

6. G-Dog says:

@AlteredBeast:

WHAT? I thought ordering quadruple mayo on my ULTRA-MATE sized, “Deep Fried Pork-a-Burger” Mega Manly Meal was healthy! Like, with vitamin C and stuff.

7. GenXCub says:

It’s not about that. For people who want to lower their calorie intake without going insane, it would be nice to know that you don’t have to just go to Subway every day. Did you realize that Taco Bell has some great lower calorie alternatives like their Spicy Chicken Soft Tacos? (they’re 170 calories each, but with a decent fiber count. They’d be 3 Weight Watchers points).

Sandwich places are just inconvenient because you have to deal with “yes, I want pickles, no I don’t want olives, yes, I want peppers, no I don’t want jalapeños” (Subway online hasn’t made it to the Las Vegas area yet, but Port of Subs has).

8. dantsea says:

@G-Dog: Only if the Pork-A-Burger is grilled before being deep fried. Grilling makes it healthy!

9. badlydrawnjeff says:

Yes, certainly it’s the restaurants fighting the unnecessary and heavy-handed intrusions into their businesses and not the moronic city requirements.

God help this nation if this lunacy is upheld.

10. Chaosium says:

@rocnrule: That’s exactly the point!

If they post the caloric content of the food at least a few more people will care.

11. Chaosium says:

@badlydrawnjeff: Oh give me a break. This is not an intrusion into the “free market”, and there’s certainly no slippery slope into forcing caloric restrictions.

12. badlydrawnjeff says:

Of course it’s an intrusion into the market, and into the ability of companies to do business without having inane regulations put on them. No one’s claiming a slippery slope here, I just think it’s absurd that no one’s bothered by this nonsense.

13. Chicago7 says:

You should care! 540 calories for a Big Mac! That doesn’t include fries or a drink!

A Whopper is 670 calories and 39 grams of fat! Something like 13 grams of that fat is mayonnaise, which is just awful anyway!

Basically, if you eat a Big Mac or Whopper meal, you shouldn’t eat for the rest of the day!

14. Chicago7 says:

What food products do we have in the US that don’t have standard nutrition information on the label?

Is it invasive to know that hot dogs contain sodium nitrate or whatever?