Get Your $100 Paxil Refund

US Citizens have until August 31 to claim a $100 refund if you bought Paxil for someone under the age of 18.

The anti-depressant’s makers, GlaxoSmithKline, were successfully sued for failing to warn consumers that it could induce suicide in young adults and children taking the drug.

In other news, a child’s life is worth one-hundred one-dollar bills.

[PaxilPayback] (Thanks to Suzanne!)
(Photo: MSNBC)

Comments

1. Toof_75_75 says:

“In other news, a child’s life is worth one-hundred one-dollar bills.”

Ouch GlaxoSmithKline…that’s a rough one to swallow!

2. Skiffer says:

I’m hoping the $100 is for those who were warned, and had to dispose of the pills before taking them, and those families who lost more than a bottle of pills got a lot more…

3. B says:

@Skiffer: They get a 10 dollar gift certificate to McDonalds.

4. boandmichele says:

@B: lol! nice. i keep seeing the drive-thru lady in my head with that ever-so-eloquent quote.

back on topic, glaxosmithkline sucks.

5. Snockered says:

um…one Z, two N’s (Suzanne).

6. eli_b says:

My friend works for them, I didn’t know that’s who made that! Paxil is evil. I will fully admit I took that about ten years ago, and within a week I punched a screen door, and (on purpose) hit my head against a car window. I’m not the slightest bit violent ever, but at the time I didn’t even realize that’s what it was from. I fully understand why people have killed themselves, went crazy on a plane, and whatever else while taking it. I don’t know if it’s a temporary side effect, or if it just makes certain people react that way, but they should have shelved this long ago. It is by far the most horrible experience of my life, and I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone. Here is the claim form which should be noted in the article:

[www.paxilpediatricsettlement.com]

7. Godz says:

Ugh I was 19 at the time I went on an insane rampage…

8. rbb says:

I’m sure the lawyers on both sides ended up with quite a few million one dollar bills and as usual the people most affected get squat…

9. eli_b says:

@rbb:

A lot of the people affected are also dead, or have been arrested for things they wouldn’t have done off the drug, or lost their significant others, or any number of things that can’t be compensated. Sad.

10. hoo_foot says:

And there’s no compensation for those who were over the age of 18 and still received terrible side effects from this drug.

11. uricmu says:

I think that whenever a class action suit is won, the amount won by the lawyers should be advertised.

12. lestat730 says:

How do they prove that this drug could ‘induce suicide’ in younger patients when the drug is made to treat depression in the first place. Meds or not, everyone knows depression can sometimes lead to suicide. And if they did somehow prove this… a 100 dollar rebate? Ridiculous.

13. easy2panic says:

The lawyers are the real winners in this case and any lawsuit like this. Say they won 300 million, usually lawyers take a third of the winnings so they get 100 million which only leaves 200 million for us. Everyone who is compensated has a reduced winning of a 1/3.

I used to take Paxil, now I am e-mailing this to my mother who purchased the damn drugs. The drugs helped me up to a point, but then it took me a while to notice the negative side-effects of the drug. And yes I did think of suicide while taking the drugs but I was smart enough not to.

14. Bourque77 says:

@lestat730: Unless you’ve been there you really cant comment. There are certain drugs that have that serious side effect. They prove it by testing it like they do with all drugs.

15. eli_b says:

True, I mean, they should have known from all those rats that committed suicide right? :)

16. nardo218 says:

@eli_b: The stuff’s awful. I took it for one day, and I was instantly sent into the most hypermanic state unlike anything ever. Ever see the Futurama when Fry has 300 cups of coffee and the world seems to slow down to him? Yah, that. It should never have been approved.

17. Mom2Talavera says:

I was on Paxil for 3 years. It made me feel like a numb zombie. I successfully weaned myself off it and I now take 5-HTP instead. its a natural alternative… And its cheaper

18. eli_b says:

@nardo218: yeah…that kind of says it. it was terrible.

19. ChristineS says:

Paxil has the highest rate of withdrawals, weight gain, sexual disturbances, and other side effects. And it is in no way better than other SSRIs. [www.emedexpert.com]

I believe that if condition can be treated without medications it should be treated that way. There are a number of non-drug options for depression (therapies, exercise) and there is a scientific evidence for their effectiveness: [www.healthassist.net]

Actually, instead of being the “last resort”, antidepressants (and also sleeping pills) are used as “first resort”.