Are You Addicted To Debt? Take This 15 Question Quiz

If you answer yes to at least of these eight questions, you may be addicted to debt, according to Debtor’s Anonymous.

15. Are your debts making your home life unhappy?

14. Does the pressure of your debts distract you from your daily work?

13. Are your debts affecting your reputation?

12. Do your debts cause you to think less of yourself?

11. Have you ever given false information in order to obtain credit?

10. Have you ever made unrealistic promises to your creditors?

9. Does the pressure of your debts make you careless of the welfare of your family?

8. Do you ever fear that your employer, family or friends will learn the extent of your total indebtedness?

7. When faced with a difficult financial situation, does the prospect of borrowing give you an inordinate feeling of relief?

6. Does the pressure of your debts cause you to have difficulty sleeping?

5. Has the pressure of your debts ever caused you to consider getting drunk?

4. Have you ever borrowed money without giving adequate consideration to the rate of interest you are required to pay?

3. Do you usually expect a negative response when you are subject to a credit investigation?

2. Have you ever developed a strict regimen for paying off your debts, only to break it under pressure?

1. Do you justify your debts by telling yourself that you are superior to the “other” people, and when you get your “break” you’ll be out of debt overnight?

If you answer yes to 8 or more of the preceding questions, it may be time to seek help.

15 Questions [Debtor’s Anonymous]
RELATED: 12 Signs Of A Debt Addict

(Photo: Getty)

Comments

1. nweaver says:

I really don’t understand how people carry Credit Card debt…

I’m buying a new motorcycle with cash out of my savings. But I want to replenish my savings quickly so I’m charging myself a typical credit card (20% annual) interest rate until I pay myself back.

Just setting up the spreadsheet made me go OWCH! Its been only 10 days and the only reason I’m not in the hole aready is I dumped a good amount back into savings when I got an expense-reimbursement check.

At the supposid average balance for a typical american of $8500, that would be $140 a month in interest alone at 20%! OWCH OWCH OWCH!

2. I replaced debt with sex and got a 100%…

figures

3. Godz says:

@nweaver: Person loses job, car breaks down = credit card debt easy.

4. @discounteggroll: You’ll be out of sex overnight once you get you break?!?!

5. nweaver says:

Godz: But thats not why most people carry credit card debt!

6. alicetheowl says:

@nweaver: There are a lot of reasons. A lot of those add up to irresponsibility, but some are due to a series of emergencies that drained the savings and made a person put medical bills (say) on a credit card, or groceries, or gas to get to the job where they’ll earn the money to pay everything back.

I’m tired of the Consumerist trope that says that, if you have any debt at all, you’re a stupid, selfish, shortsighted person who put Stuff first. Most people don’t realize how closely they flirt with being an accident away from financial ruin, and their luck holds long enough for them to get out of that situation and have a nice safety cushion for that sort of situation.

Some of us aren’t so lucky.

7. Thrust says:

What does it mean if you answered one maybe and fourteen no’s?

8. sonichghog says:

Some of us use Credit Card debt to our advantage.

My Wife and I have around 30k in CC debt now.

Thats 2 new cars.

Of course, we took advantage of the 1.9% and 2.9% for ever we were each offered. Our CC debt is saving us more than if we went and got a standard car loan.

9. Wormfather says:

@alicetheowl:

Here, here. The complete self absortion required to utter that dudes statment makes me sick.

congratulations, you bought your bike with cash and now your charging your self interest. Well buddy, congrats…

I’d go on but I’d get really insulting.

10. joeblevins says:

Wormfather, agreed that was a little cheesy.

The word debt could be replaced with drugs/gambling or any vice. If you can answer just a couple of those with a yes, then you have serious problems.

But debt isn’t the worst thing in the world. All white meat chicken McNuggets are the worst thing.

11. Thrust says:

@Wormfather: Oh my god, my mind is gone from the heat. I could have SWORN your post said “self abortion”…

@joeblevins: Dude. Seriously! Don’t dis one of the only two items on their menu that actually tastes good.

12. SadSam says:

Wondering how the conversation got from debt to credit card debt. Credit card debt is bad but I would say that car debt is worse (normally b/c its bigger debt). There are a lot a folks out there paying car notes on cars they can’t afford when they should have bought a less expensive car (instead of thinking about the true cost of the car they think about the monthly payment) and should be saving or investing the difference.

Debt is a tool and there are good reasons to use other people’s money if you have a heck of a lot of discipline or you are using other people’s money to to invest in appreciating assets. While there are some people who can handle credit most people use it to spend beyond their means.

13. TVarmy says:

I don’t think debt is really the addiction. Addiction can cause debt, and I believe most fiscally irresponsible people are addicted to some degree or another to something. Usually, the thing is more comfort than that person can afford. One doesn’t need the fastest computer (for home, not work), the fastest car, someone to make you a $4 cup of coffee, or to repaint the walls and install new kitchen appliences every time a new color is in vogue. It’s nice when it’s affordable, but paying for this stuff when one doesn’t have the money usually shows irrational behavior and a lack of willpower.

Of course, other forms of addiction definitely contribute. I believe one of AA and GA’s signs of addiction is borrowing too much money, stealing, or being in debt from the habits. And any smoker will say cigarettes get to be really expensive.

14. Orchid64 says:

Most of the people who read the Consumerist very likely aren’t the sort of people who live hand to mouth and have little direct experience with what it’s like to be truly poor. While a lot of people may get themselves into debt because of a desire to have “stuff”, there are also many people who have little choice in the matter because their income falls short.

It’s all well and good to talk about saving but there are people who can’t set aside any money because they simply cannot spare it. When an emergency comes up, they have no choice but to go into debt and their kids do without new school clothes next year or they don’t go to the dentist for awhile to get out of it. All the smug, judgmental attitudes about people having a variety of choices about the money they make and spend may provide the comfortable illusion that we all make the bed we lie in financially but it’s simply not true. Many people have limited options and can’t break free of their situations. They don’t need people who have had better opportunities judging them to add to their woes.

I am not one of those people (because I moved away from rural life and now live in Tokyo) but I grew up as one and around a lot of people who are still in that position to this day. This little quiz doesn’t say anything about debt “addiction” for people who are in debt and feel stressed about it but had no choice but to borrow money to get by.

15. royal72 says:

not to worry folks, our friends in the pharmaceutical industry are surely working on a drug to combat your “disease”.

16. Thrust says:

@Orchid64: Actually, I know what it’s like to not have money. Been through the hand-to-mouth stage, and worked my way out of it. Moved outta home at 18 with very little possessions and no savings. Worked minimum wage crap jobs for a couple years, put myself through college (Student loans made it possible), then worked my way up from there. Today, for all intents intents and purposes running the company I work for as of September. I own (mortgaged) my own place, a nice car, and a computer that shames even the most hardcore gamer geeks. Did it all on my own, and possible because I never smoke, drink, or do drugs, and no foolin around (therefore no kids I’m not financially ready for). I had the determination to work for what I wanted, started from the bottom and worked hard to get to the top…

17. humphrmi says:

I hear a lot of people talking about the situations that put them into debt outside of their control. I wonder what people did years ago before credit cards were readily available. Did these same situations simply not exist then? I’m not trying to be a jag about it, really. I was in the same position 15 years ago. At some point, I sat down and thought about how I could take control and not let there be situations outside of my control. It starts at a level much deeper than financial management – almost Zen-like.

I know, hollow words for someone who is in the thick of it, trying to dig out. And I can’t give you any more advice on how to do it. But amazingly enough, you can take control of your life (not just your finances) and instead of always being a victim, you can direct your own destiny.

18. Thrust says:

If someone is in debt and truly wants out.

-Give up smoking and binge drinking! Seriously.

-Get your bank(s) to change your creditcard(s) so you can pay it off, but can’t charge more. If your bank doesn’t do that, cut the card into a hundred pieces and just keep payin the bills as they come.

-Car loan? If you’re in a bad situation it may be time to trade in for a lesser car and clear that monthly payment. Yes it’s a step down instead of up, but you’ll hopefully be able to recover from your debt faster, and maybe next car purchase you wait until you have a sizable downpayment or don’t go overboard on what you pick out. Also, NEONS! They are everywhere, dirt cheap, and easy to fix. Ive owned 2 of these awesome cost-savers and my roommate now has one. First one cost me $4K, second was $1.5K, and his one only $1.4K.

-Student Loans? Did you check if there are subsidy programs to help repay? Canada specifically will pay the interest (only the interest) for five years if you earn less than X amount. You have to keep re-applying for it every 3 months, and it just delays when you have to pay, but it free’s up money to clear other, higher interest debts. They can also arrange for longer repayment periods for smaller payments.

-Deadbeat? Kick him/her out. If your financial situation is bad, and you have a freeloader or mooch, I dont care how good the sex is, it ain’t worth it.