Great Moments In Commercial History: The Mattress Ranch

Reader Dierdre alerts us to the existence of “The Mattress Ranch.” She writes:

There are a few available on google, I thought this was the best, the end especially. Please note the greater than life size puppet of the owner/announcer.

Mattress Ranch has been having a huge commercial push lately, they seem to have taken over the airwaves.

I live about 10 minutes from their port orchard/gorst location, and can attest to the over abundance of poorly done plywood animals littered outside the store.

That puppet may be the creepiest thing we’ve ever seen in a commercial. Don’t go away, there’s more Mattress Ranch…

If you’d like to nominate a commercial for our weekly series “Great Moments In Commercial History” send us an email at tips [at] consumerist [dot] com. Be sure to put “Great Moments In Commercial History” in the subject. To see other commercials that have been featured in the series, click here.

Comments

1. At first I thought, “This isn’t bad for a local ad”. But then…the dance!!

Why? WHY?

2. From the website for the City of Wasilla:

In Alaska terms, the size of Wasilla is simply perfect – large enough to offer metropolitan amenities and a blossoming growth center for business, yet small enough to preserve the charm, security, and quality of life that small-town living provides. With an active population of almost 6,500 Wasilla offers affordable land and housing; unparalleled recreation, a thriving economy, and a responsive local government committed to assisting private development.

I don’t know how affordable the housing is, but look at some of these views!

3. bambino says:

Disturbing.

Nice old-man dance.

4. Moosehawk says:

Why is he holding cash in his hand in the second one? Is he taunting me?

5. alk509 says:

@Moosehawk: “Save some bucks at Matress Ranch!” He’s holding the bucks you’re saving, I guess. Why would he be holding your bucks, you ask? Excellent question…

He actually holds cash in the first one too. And points at them when he gets to the “save some bucks…” part of the song.

Oh, and that puppet… well, that’s just the creepiest shit I’ve seen in my life.

6. jeffeb3 says:

He kind of looks like Quintin Tarrantino.

7. surfacenoise76 says:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such gesticulation.

8. shaunirving says:

I was thinking more a really old David Letterman…

9. Nekoincardine says:

I have driven past this place so many times.. That red creepiness is the actual Mattress Ranch.

And yes, Wasilla housing is affordable… But the real jobs are all in Anchorage, an hour away.

The dollars he holds certainly are a slightly confusing image, and used to be a joke among certain Alaskans, similar to the not-all-that-far-away Chilkoot Charlie’s slogan, “We cheat the other guy and pass the savings on to YOU!”

… Yeah, I really don’t know where this is going.

10. lostsynapse says:

Did he sire those two girls with his puppet self?

11. Learethak says:

At the Alaska State Fair, with a donation, you can have your picture/video taken of you dancing with this ginormously tall old gentleman.

All proceeds go to some charity (I forgot which one)

1) Mr. Saddler is really Really creepily tall.
    2) If anything he dances stranger in person.
    3) He actually tones it down for the commercials.

Wasilla and surrounding environs are generally pretty nice place to live. The previous poster is right that most the good jobs are an hour away in Anchorage. However, there is little available land left in Anchorage, and housing prices are climbing. Consequently, a lot of people are commuting in from the Matanuska-Sustina Valley (called “Matsu” or just “The Valley”, and it has become one of the largest growing population areas in the state.

12. Drew Biondo says:

Another great from the land of Sarah Palin.

Not.