Updated: Subway Introduces Calorie Bomb Sandwich (It's Called A Super-Stuffed Sub)

UPDATE: We called Subway (like we should’ve done at first) and the sandwich is called a “Super Stuffed Sub”. One of them is named, “The Feast.” In it, you get all the meats (turkey, ham, salami, pepperoni, and roast beef) plus bacon and cheese on “special double-braided bread” (aka challah bread), for $7.99. The sandwich is being test-marketed in NY. Here are some pics of some dudes trying to eat one. They look like they’re choking. Subway seems to be trying to one-up the the mondo-meal market pioneered by McDonald’s Supersize.

Somehow we don’t think Jared would approve.

While Subway opens up the calories on their menu on the one hand, on the other they’re launching a giant new sandwich we would expect more to see from Burger King.

benpopken: speaking of subway, have you seen those commercials for “the jammer?”
meghannmarco: no what’s that?
benpopken: it’s disgusting
benpopken: it’s a new subway sandwich
benpopken: it’s like as big as your head
meghannmarco: wha
benpopken: and you can’t get your mouth around it at all
benpopken: it’s like a medieval lord sandwich
meghannmarco: woah
meghannmarco: pix pls
benpopken: trying to find
benpopken: this isn’t it but this guy makes a subway sub in 35 seconds
benpopken: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_5p4BCCYLI
benpopken: i can’t find any pix
meghannmarco: that is a sandwich artist
benpopken: maybe i have the name wrong

Let us know if you have any more information regarding this exotic beast.

Comments

1. its the subway slammer, not jammer

2. MalcoveMagnesia says:

Is “jammer” marketing-speak for “this sandwich jams up your arteries?”

Why not “Belly Bomb” or the “Clog”?

3. joemono says:

My, what a clever IM conversation! Why bother posting about something when you have absolutely no information?

4. Moosehawk says:

I can’t eat subway, it makes me want to throw up by the time I’m done eating a 6″ just because it tastes so bad.

Maybe it’s just my local subway, but I didn’t realize the idea of “fresh ingredients” is brown lettuce and soggy veggies.

5. Bay State Darren says:

Is the actual article pending?

6. umrain says:

@joemono: Why bother posting a comment when you have absolutely nothing to add?

(p.s. sorry, guilty here too.)

7. firestarsolo says:

When I worked at Wendy’s, I could make just about any sandwich there PERFECTLY to corporate specifications in under 20 seconds…

and it was tasty, too.

8. SugarRob says:

@joemono: This way we get to do all the legwork for them.

9. Bay State Darren says:

I’ve seen a lot of complaints on this site about some articles being too long. I guess those complaints won’t be posted here.

10. MissPinkKate says:

Next up: two 13 year olds discuss which is better “BK chiken samwich” or “Micdonelds hamburlger LOL”.

11. joemono says:

@UMRAIN: Guilty as charged… again, too.

12. Ray Wert Jr says:

Hey did you guys hear about this thing from that company?

What is this Valleywag? Why don’t you tell us a little something about it, other than “it’s as big as your head.” All of their 12″ already are, what’s your point? I mean, it could be a massive veggie sandwich for all we know.

13. alpha says:

@Bay State Darren:

really? I’ve never seen one of those complaints.

I have seen plenty of complaints about the apparently diminishing quality of some of the posts however…

14. enm4r says:

What the hell is this trash? This is the worst non-article I’ve ever seen. I wish I could say I expected better, but after the last few months, I do not.

I suppose it filled its need though, I have now wasted the 10 minutes I was intent on wasting when I clicked the bookmark. Thanks!

15. iMike says:

W’happen to the “ban useless posters once a week” thing?

[pins target to back]

16. AcidReign says:

&nbsp &nbsp I used to work fast food when I was a teenager. That was a great video. Wow! There were lots of ingredients put in that sandwich, too. I can’t imagine anything at Wendy’s having that many different things in it.

&nbsp &nbsp The real marvel, though, in this post, is how in the world it could use up ten minutes. Slow internet connection?

17. royal72 says:

benpopken: meg it’s puff, puff, pass for a reason.
    meghannmarco: [cough] sorry. just thinking about lunch.
    benpopken: a sandwich sounds damn good right now.
    meghannmarco: hell yeah! did you see that new monster sandwich from subway.
    benpopken: what’s on it?… oh shit, we need to post a new article for the hour…

18. alpha says:

@AcidReign:

When you are attempting to kill time, it is easy to drag things out.

19. clarient says:

He got the answer he was looking for – the Subway Slammer – and posted a video.

What the hell is up with all these whiney, petulant comments? Go back to what you were doing and shut up.

20. Xkeeper says:

@enm4r:
    As much as I like the site, I’m tempted to agree. This is really non-news, and it really drives home the “slow news day” feeling. Bleh.

21. nachas101 says:

@clarient:
    Actually, he posted a video of some guy making a sub fast.
    And he didn’t ‘get what he was looking for’, which presumably was an interesting story.
    It’s not very.
    Especially without any actual content regarding the mysterious and wildly boring new sandwich.
    Whoopeee!
    That’s what the hell is up with whiny, petulant comments.
    I’m going back to what I was doing, and shutting up now.
    This site USED to be interesting.
    It USED to have stories about righting consumer wrongs, fighting injustice, and helping consumers get good deals.
    As far as I can tell, it has devolved quite a bit.
    Especially when they run a story about a new Subway sandwich.
    And might I suggest that if you don’t like the comments, either respond to them or ignore them.
    You don’t win friends calling people whiny and petulant. We have grown accustomed to actual news, not ‘didja hear’.
    And you don’t make friends with salad.

22. quieterhue says:

Have you been watching the Quiznos commercials lately? They’ve been SLAMMING subway for having sandwitches that are too small, or don’t have enough meat, etc. (Maybe that’s where the name of the new sandwitch comes from?) Anyway, this is clearly a response to the Quiznos ads.

23. Bay State Darren says:

It’s not news, it’s Consumerist.com!

24. alpha says:

@Bay State Darren:

more like Sandwichist.com am i rite?!?!?!!?

25. enm4r says:

@Bay State Darren: It’s not news, it’s Consumerist.com!

Clearly you missed Backend: We Got In Google News.
    But it’s ok, because CNN hasn’t reported on the new Subway sandwich yet!

26. nachas101 says:

@enm4r:
    and neither has the consumerist.
    They commented about a ‘potential’ sandwich, but left out the important stuff like what is in it.
    It’s big, though. They got to that part.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

27. The Walking Eye says:

@AcidReign: Rather than doing the . [enter] . [enter], try…

[br] for each line you wish to add. (replace [] with sideways carets)

28. InThrees says:

Let’s all be sure to hawkishly watch the updates for posts that aren’t as boringly homogenized as those found on CNN and Yahoo and MSN, so we can slowly turn this site into something we won’t want to visit any more.

Good plan!

29. TPIRman says:

Here’s a brochure for Subway franchisees [PDF, see page 5] that mentions “Jammers” at an upcoming convention in Orlando, but they’re not sandwiches. Coincidentally, they’re people who can make Subway sandwiches very quickly.

Whining commenters: You’re right, it’s not news. It’s an off-the-cuff request for information. If you have none to offer, kindly suggest you shrug and move on. Contrary to popular belief, a fluffy Consumerist post is not a sign of the apocalypse. Honest! You can check the book of Revelation and everything!

Gold star to Bay State Darren who felt compelled to comment three times to say the same thing: nothing.

30. SugarRob says:

The next logical consumerist post will be taping someone in a halloween costume trying to order a Slammer at McDonalds.

31. nachas101 says:

@Johnny:
    AHHHHH!
    Maybe that’s the name of the sandwich?
    The Apocalypse!
    mmmmmmmmmm….
    Tasty.

32. thatsfearagain says:

Maybe it’s just me, but the 10-second-sandwich is one of the reasons I won’t eat at Subway (stale bread, sleazy employees, and filthy ingredients being the others.) I don’t WANT my food thrown together. I understand that when the restaurant is busy, they have to speed things up to keep the line moving, but even on slow days, your sandwich ends up looking like a Kansas trailer park. Fast food should be fast, but I’d much rather wait one, two minutes for my food than have to reassemble it at the table.

33. Papercutninja says:

Ugh. Reading this article for lunch, i decided to have Subway. Now my tummy hurts. Thanks Consumerist!

34. Amsterdaam says:

Excuse me, WTF R U Talking About?

35. William Mize says:

It’s like the McRibwich, only different.
    Krusty The Clown is not involved.

36. neobolts says:

I clicked through onto to find a AIM conversation and no information on this sandwich.

I fixed your headline:
    “Subway (OR PERHAPS QUIZNOS) MAY BE IntroducING WHAT MAY OR MAY NOT BE A Calorie Bomb Sandwich, ACCORDING TO AN AIM CONVERSATION WE HAD WITH OURSELVES.”

37. nachas101 says:

@neobolts:
    Nice to see a little accuracy in the media….

38. SadSam says:

Seems like a reasonable move by Subway and as long as they post the calories, fat, etc. I find no reason to object.

Subway is probably trying to appeal to a larger audience (one that includes big guys who like to eat a lot of meat) who end up in Subway with their moms or girlfriends.

39. Uriel says:

This story of a subway worker and his large woman habits rather disturbed me. Have a read!

[www.dimensionsmagazine.com]

40. mermaidshoes says:

bacon on challah? awesome.

41. acambras says:

Jeez, I hope Jared kept his fat pants.

42. alpha says:

“double braided” does not mean it’s actually challah, though it might well be.

And that looks like my kind of sandwich.

43. SugarRob says:

More meat!

44. nachas101 says:

I don’t get it.
    What is the problem here?
    Fatty’s are going to eat crap like this, whether it comes from Subway or not.
    Why NOT offer a product that a customer might want?
    It’s crazy, but businesses are trying to do that left and right. And it works, too.
    Turns out, it is a winning formula.
    They have the fit meals for those of you looking to shave pounds and now they have a sandwhich that has some heft.
    Frankly speaking, I’m a little pissed that a footlong ham with double meat costs $8…..

45. Steve518 says:

I wished they introduce some more meats to their menu to put on this thing. Like venison.

MORE MEAT!

46. dvddesign says:

That video you guys linked to in your IM “story” was sped up. It looks at least 1.5X times real time, so that sandwich probably took about 50 seconds to make. If the knife motion doesn’t convince you, then the odd flickering of the lighting should.

47. kingoman says:

@Moosehawk: It’s just your local Subway. I’ve eaten at literally dozens of different stores and, while I’ll agree they aren’t anything exciting, I’ve never had anything but completely fresh and crispy veggies. When I do choose Subway, it’s usually because I’m in a mood for fresh topings and not as concerned about more pedestrian meat.

48. AcidReign says:

&nbsp &nbsp @The Walking Eye: Testing now…

&nbsp &nbsp Thank you very much!

49. tschepsit says:

@nachas101:
    “Fatty’s” aren’t the only ones that want to eat a lot of food. Some of us non-”fatty’s” require high-calorie meals just to maintain a healthy weight. Personally, the idea of a calorie-bomb sandwich from Subway sounds like a great pick-up on my way to a hit the trails on my bike on a Saturday morning. Of course, since I’m such a tightwad, I’ll end up making something myself instead, but if I were the type to eat out frequently, I’d be all over this.

50. nachas101 says:

@tschepsit:
    said the fatty.
    :-)
    lighten up.

51. Grrrrrrr, now with two buns made of bacon. says:

Maybe Jared got tired of being thin and wanted to put on all that weight again in a hurry!

52. MommaJ says:

Regular size Subway sandwiches taste like crap. Why would anyone want even more of this stuff?

53. Russellkhan says:

OK, I don’t eat at Subway, haven’t in years, but there’s nothing intrinsically wrong with big food with high calorie counts.

I don’t know, maybe you consumerist guys are on some crazy fad diet, but for those of us who aren’t trying to imitate Oprah’s latest yo-yo craze, more calories just means more food – and speaking as someone with a high metabolism and an active lifestyle, more food is generally necessary sooner or later.

54. Youthier says:

Apparently most of the people in this thread have never stood behind a 400 lb man at Subway asking if he could get double double meat.

No one is forced to eat fast food!

55. subway rules, and now i want to go there more. meat is awesome, so why not add more? it’s like the burger king meatnormous breakfast sandwich. freakin’ great.