The New Coke Can Design Is The Old Coke Can Design, But Better

Coke has redesigned their can, removing all the awful fake bubbles and that weird yellow ribbon. We’re not a design blog or anything, but we know what we like.

And, of course, here’s a link to coke cans throughout history. The mid-90’s was a low point in Coke can design. Don’t you think?

The Real Thing. Really. [Brand New via BuzzFeed]

Comments

1. Skiffer says:

haha – “Pop” Culture – what, you guys grow up in Ohio or Michigan?

2. Youthier says:

My only issue with the new design is the first time I saw it and wondered if my pop was from 1977.

3. mopar_man says:

@Skiffer:

Or Canada. It’s pop to me. Although a friend’s dad (also Canadian) calls it “sodey pop”. That could be due to his age though (in his 70’s).

I like the new, non-flashy design. Now if only they would go back to the sugar recipe instead of using corn syrup.

4. endlessendres says:

um, this design has been out for atleast a month, most likely more than that.

5. wring says:

lol @skiffer i work in retail, someone asked me for a “sack”. wtf?

6. tvh2k says:

I actually liked the 1993 classic coke bottle cans

7. Skiffer says:

@wring: Hehe – I had an uncle/aunt/cousins move from Ohio to New York. First time the cousins had friends over from their high school, the mom comes out and asks if anyone wants any “Pop” (i.e., soda)…the friends just heard “Pot” :)

8. Lewis says:

Can’t beat the real thing,

9. Meg Marco says:

@Skiffer: Chicago

10. not_seth_brundle says:
  11. Morr says:

I don’t really care what the can looks like. As long as they’re using corn syrup instead of sugar it still tastes horrible.

12. alpha says:

awww, Chicago…the wanna-be state right NEAR Michigan.

On the Coke can, I think they should’ve left some of the shadowing

13. Meg Marco says:

@alpha: “It is wonderful to be here in the great state of Chicago.” — Dan Quayle

14. Skiffer says:

@not_seth_brundle: Awesome!!

@alpha: Yeah, the new design is a bit too retro/bland for me…but at least they got rid of that creepy-looking Santa Claus on the cans…and I thought clowns were scary!

15. ptkdude says:

If “pop” confuses you, take a trip to Atlanta. It’s called “coke” here, and it refers to: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Dr Pepper, Pepsi, Mountain Dew, lemonade, and virtually any other “soft” drink, except iced tea (which comes in 2 varieties: regular and unsweet).

16. timmus says:

Yep… here in Texas, the official state beverage is coke (specifically, Dr. Pepper).

17. anatak says:

Cost reduction, Coke?

18. NoWin says:

Coke schomke, I’m a Tab guy!

19. Thrust says:

MMM… Still like Pepsi more.

20. William Mize says:

On a hot summer day, nothing beats a Coke in an ice cold glass bottle, right out of the machine.

[www.antiquevend.com]

21. Falconfire says:

I agree with Morr get rid of the HFCS and Ill drink a can now and again, but as long as its got the crap in there, Im never drink coke/pop/soda whatever you call it again.

22. Theber says:

Where I’m from (The Bahamas) all sodas are “coke sodas” except for the grape and orange flavoured ones which are “sweet sodas”. Now all Coke has to do is bring back the taste- I vote for telling them that Jews have started observing Passover year-round and need sugar and not corn syrup in the coke.

23. balthisar says:

Mmmm…. Mexican coke is the best. Or Passover coke with the yellow top. But use sugar.

24. Curtis_B says:

Strangely, I recently purchased a 12 pack with the old graphics on the box and the new graphics on the can.

FWIW I hear that if you buy the coke in the mexican foods aisle of your grocery store (glass bottles), they are made in mexico and use the old recipe (sugar, not corn syrup).

25. balthisar says:

Of course what I wrote makes a lot more sense if you read “But” at “Both.”

26. ObtuseGoose says:

It’s a shame they don’t have the money to buy black ink for a proper drop shadow. Perhaps they’ll drop the price of their refreshing ambrosia, since they don’t have to pay for expensive graphic design or printing.

27. eightfifteen says:

Anyone else like the diamond design on the can?

28. rich815 says:

I like the Chinese one.

It’s four characters:

Kou – Ke – Kou – Le

Which loosely translated is Feels Happy in your Mouth.

29. Curtis_B says:

Yeah, the 4-diamond design is sweet lookin

30. Chicago7 says:

oh, boy, this is a big issue for me – let’s see: Who CARES? This is just a marketing ploy that you fell for, hook, line & sinker.

31. ironghost says:

You can tell where the yankees are. It’s “Coke”, unless you’re unfortunate enough to go in one of those sad places that only serve Pepsi.

32. cabinaero says:

Eliminates at least two inks (can’t remember if the darker red is a second spot or just a black overprint) and two press stations. Mega savings over the number of cans coke runs.

33. bleacheddecay says:

I don’t drink Coke if I have a choice. I also prefer Pepsi between the two.

My fav though is Dr. Pepper.

Have you ever read James Lee Burke’s books? When he describes the old time cherry Coke that is the predecessor to Dr. Pepper it makes me want THAT instead of our more modern drinks.

Ahhh! The good ole days!

34. joemono says:

@PTKDUDE: Well that explains the couple of people who would order a “Frozen Coke, sprite flavor” when I worked at the movie theater in high school.

35. phripley says:

“pop” vs “soda” mapped

this site was way ahead of its time.

36. phripley says:

hmm some kind of link filter there, here’s what I was trying to point to:

popvssoda.com

37. Geoff says:

@PTKDUDE: New Orleans, but really a lot of the south calls everything “coke” also. Fast food places will often ask “What flavor coke?” when asking what kind of drink you want. Note the lowercase “C” in “coke” as it’s being using as a common noun.

38. Slytherin says:

Personally, I miss this Coke: [farm1.static.flickr.com]

39. Swifty says:

I just wish ‘classic’ would disappear.

Other than that, (and the faux drops on the 2liter bottles), I totally dig this new retro/simple design.

40. acambras says:

@rich815:
    I like the Chinese one.
    It’s four characters:
    Kou – Ke – Kou – Le
    Which loosely translated is Feels Happy in your Mouth.

OK, maybe I’m a pervert, but that made me giggle.

41. synergy says:

I can’t believe they spend so much time and energy on the can design. They’re wasting their time with me because I don’t pay attention to whether there’s bubbles. I read that and thought, “bubbles? what bubbles?” *shrug*

42. EtherealStrife says:

Personally I miss this coke.

43. embj says:

You know…this can has been out for about two months. The first time I saw it, I was at a program at my school. I was like WTH? I thought it was some old Coke that they had stored in a box somewhere back from the ’70s. I wouldn’t put it past them to actually have some from back then, either.

I really wouldn’t call this a new design, though. Wow, they got rid of some bubbles and a couple of stripes! They’ve basically been using the same design for over twenty years. It’s time for a change…be like Pepsi and think of something innovative and different.

44. Steel_Pelican says:

“The mid-90’s was a low point in Coke can design. Don’t you think?”

I think the period in that sentence belongs after “point.”

45. Dervish says:

@balthisar: Or European coke! Man, I never liked coke until I tried the stuff with real sugar. Mmmmm.

46. Broncobri5 says:

Only people from Ohio (and a few surrounding states) will “drink pop while playing corn-hole or euchure”

47. eli_b says:

I’m actually a graphic designer, and all I have to say is ‘who gives a fuck?’

Maybe they can also go back to normal advertising instead of multi-million dollar commercials that really don’t have anything to do with the product.