Northwest Airlines Accepts Paypal?

Northwest Airlines has announced that it will begin accepting Paypal as a payment method on its website. Why? Apparently, there is a demand for this. Stephanie Tilenius, vice president of merchant services for PayPal, said in a Northwest Airlines Press Release:

“We are excited to add Northwest Airlines, one of the world’s largest airlines, as the first airline to accept PayPal. Many of our customers already book travel with Northwest Airlines and are eager to use their PayPal accounts to do so.”

Northwest Airlines Offers PayPal For NWA.com Ticket Purchases (Press Release) [NWA]
(Photo: drewski2112)

Comments

1. timmus says:

If there’s a Paypal dispute, you can bet who Paypal is siding with.

2. esqdork says:

I wouldn’t ever use PayPal to buy an airline ticket, especially Northwest. Unlike credit card companies, there is no such thing as charge backs with PayPal. I have had to ask American Express to fight unauthorized Northwest charges more than once. Has anyone tried to get PayPal to fight a charge? PayPal is not consumer-friendly.

3. Hawk07 says:

Haha! Now the Nigerian scammers can fly free.

4. bobjackson75 says:

Southwest Airlines already accepts paypal. I don’t know when it started but it doesn’t seem to be a new thing.

5. skittlbrau says:

but the real question is will northwest pay me through paypal to fly with them? i don’t think i’ve had a more horrible flight experience than my last NWA flight.

6. mopar_man says:

PayPal is not consumer-friendly.

Truthful quote of the day right there.

7. timmus says:

I can see it now:

TO PAYPAL: On March 24, 2008, I pressed Submit to buy my Northwest ticket and it didn’t do anything, so I pressed Submit again and the site issued me TWO tickets. I have already contacted you twice to demand a $320 refund and you keep telling me that airline fares are not refundable. Did you even read what I wrote?

REPLY: Thank you for contacting PayPal with your concern. At this time, it has been determined that your excessive customer service contact violates of our Acceptable Use Policy. We regret to inform you that your account is now closed with no appeals.
    – PayPal, an eBay Company

8. Kishi says:

See, I’m wondering how long it’ll be before PayPal shuts down Northwest’s account due to “suspicious activity.”

9. TWinter says:

“We guess Northwest Airlines is the eBay of airlines, so that makes sense. Their planes have that “yard sale full of late 70′s stuff” feeling.”

And you don’t feel the same about United, American, Delta, USAirways, etc… They are far from unique in their badness.

10. Kbomb says:

Northwest sucks.

11. skittlbrau says:

@Kbomb: yes, it does.

i was amazed when i moved from detroit and didn’t HAVE to fly on that airline anymore. service even on the other legacy carriers is far and away superior.

12. jadenton says:

Unlike a credit card company, PayPal will not allow merchants to make unauthorized charges to your account after the fact. PayPal only moves money when the customer is logged in, reviews the charges, and hits submit. Since the merchant never gets the credit card number or bank account of the buyer, they have no way to make unauthorized charges against your PayPal account. The previous commentor worried about an inability to file a chargeback with PayPal can relax, because PayPal wouldn’t let the airline do this in the first place.

PayPal may not be as consumer friendly as credit card companies, but they aren’t as merchant friendly either. They protect both sides by looking for shady goings on at both ends of the transaction.

13. bohemian says:

So can you file a dispute via your cell phone while your stuck on the tarmack for four hours?

14. TECHCF says:

I would pay for my airfares with PayPal if possible, then I can also file a dispute/chargeback when the airline doesn’t do as promised

15. mopar_man says:

@TECHCF:

Have you ever tried disputing with PayPal?

16. geeniusatwrok says:

I guess you haven’t been on a NWA plane lately. The shiny new A330 that took me to Hawaii and back still had that new-plane smell and was quite modern and quiet and most of all comfortable.