Best of Sprint

Sprint Drops You Because You Call Customer Service Too Much
If you persistently insist that Sprint fix their numerous errors you will be dropped as a customer, according to reader Michael.

Consumerist Reader Sprint Executive Customer Service Hotline Works
That special hotline (703-433-4401) Sprint set up for Consumerist readers that goes directly to their executive customer service team actually works, according to reader Greg

8 Interviews With A Sprint Mole
Back in February, we posted a series of conversations we had with a very knowledgeable Sprint insider (he still has his job, by the way).

Sprint Makes A Minister’s Wife Cry
The life of a Consumerist editor can be a roller coaster ride of emotion. One minute you’re laughing at Delta airlines uglyass new planes, the next you’re reading a letter from a minister who says Sprint made his wife cry.

6 Documents Sprint Reps Have That You Don’t That Could Help You Buy Your Next Cellphone

6 Confessions Of A Former Sprint Sales Rep
Sprint has joined the ranks of cell phone providers whose former (and current) sales reps are beating down the Consumerist’s door, eager to tell all.

(Photo: cmorran123)

Comments

1. dmann99 says:

I made the mistake of moving from one area code to another and Sprint couldn’t honor my original $29/mo plan because they didn’t offer it any more. Their solution was to give me a $39/mo plan and have me call every month and explain the situation to get a $10 credit.

The best part is at the end of each call the CSR would say “Can you call back tomorrow to see if this credit ‘took’ in the system?”. Riiight, spend another hour on the phone seeing if you did your job?

The day my contract was up I bailed on them. All in all they screwed me out of about $160 not counting my time on the phone trying to resolve the issue.

What do I get a week after canceling? A $100 gift certificate from them saying they wanted me back.

2. Jim says:

I’m so exhausted with Sprint I can’t stand it, but like so many others, I have even more dread and trepidation about “training” another provider.

I would like to vouch for the Consumerist Hotline number though, I waited on hold for about 10 minutes, but then Larry answered, noted my question, promised to investigate, gave me his full name and told me to call back this afternoon if I hadn’t heard from him.

3. Jerim says:

I am as much a watchdog as anyone, but I have also spent some time behind the customer service desk. I have seen people buy a cheap item and then demand first class service. I have seen people who demand a level of service that they themselves would not provide if the situation was reversed. I think Sprint, like any company wants to keep customers as much as they can. But when it would take thousands of dollars to keep a customer that you only make a few bucks off of each month, it just isn’t reasonable to accommodate them. There are plenty of customers out there that just will not take ‘No’ for an answer. They think that by constantly complaining, they can talk a company into doing something foolish. It is that type of person that makes me wonder why they just don’t go somewhere else if they are unhappy. If these customers complained that much and were so unhappy, wouldn’t they be happy to find another provider? Isn’t Sprint doing them a favor? Or do they just want to stir things up, rather than looking for a solution?

4. whytee says:

Sprint has been hands-down my worst corporate experience ever. But I did do the tactic of emailing the CEO, which got me a quick response from someone on the corporate team who helped me with one of the myriad debacles I had with them. Sprint is the worst in customer service, and I am so grateful and thrilled that my contract is up this month and I can finally quit (I have 5 cell phone lines with them).

5. Xapa says:

Sprint has been my worse corporate experience ever, as well. I can’t even describe how awful they have been. I have never talked to such a large group of incompetent people who continuously fail to communicate with each other, or honor what another rep has said. Sprint tricked me into a new contract whilst I was trying to get a replacement phone for which I had paid insurance on for 2 years. I got a sucky replacement phone and, Congratulations! A brand new 2-year contract! No amount of calls have made me so lucky to have been dropped by said Nazis.

6. Jim says:

@Jerim: “I have seen people buy a cheap item and then demand first class service.”

It shouldn’t matter. If I take Sprint’s free phone and lowest voice plan, it should work, and I should receive exactly what I signed up for and agreed to. Your statement is comparable to suggesting that people who expect their steering wheel to not fall off shouldn’t buy a Chevy, they should pop for a Ferrari or keep their trap shut.

In my own case, all I ever expect Sprint to do is charge me correctly as we agreed when I signed up, and fix the issue if they don’t by having a competent person answer my call and handle my request in a timely manner. Keep the network functioning so my phone can be a phone and not a watch/calculator/baby toy. If Sprint begins advertising “cheap items” and plans as ‘only occasionally functional’, ‘impossible to reach customer service’, or ‘frequently mis-billed’, THEN we’ll have to accept it.

“There are plenty of customers out there that just will not take ‘No’ for an answer.”

That’s right, and some of them are con artists, and training will help CSR’s sort them out. Charging a customer for a service they aren’t receiving (in whole or in part) should never be something negotiable, let alone something the customer should roll over on.

I appreciate the alternative point of view, and suppose you may just be playing devil’s advocate a bit, but I think you’re way off in your assessment of what most customers REALLY expect.