Wary of high gas prices, teens are changing their social patterns; sharing the cost of a tank of a gas is now common, while driving around aimlessly at night has become a thing of the past.

Comments

1. Secularsage says:

I’d be interested to see if there’s a higher incidence of DUIs now (because people are drinking more and staying one place longer since they’re not driving) or a lower incidence (because people are just getting drunk at home or taking the bus).

2. msquared says:

That was written by a junior in high school!

3. AcidReign says:

&nbsp &nbsp I haven’t noticed this at all. A disgusting amount of teenagers in my area are given a new BMW, Mercedes or SUV at age sixteen, and a gas card that pop pays for. They don’t care what gas costs. If you’re out driving after dark on Friday or Saturday, watch out for these clowns…

4. Madd_Matt says:

I’ll admit to being a teenager doing pointless driving at night. Hey, small towns have nothing better going on.

Higher gas prices does make the hobby more expensive. I’ve driven off $20 gas in a night, which kinda sucks. No more expensive than getting drunk somewhere though, which is really the alternative.

5. nequam says:

You don’t need gas to use the back seat!

6. AcidReign says:

&nbsp &nbsp @Madd_Matt: Well, let me answer with a disclaimer. When I was a teen, the thing to do was let one of our buds drive us around in his convertible, while we guzzled Miller beer and chucked the empties at stop signs. So yeah, I have a lotta nerve to be throwing stones!

&nbsp &nbsp Really, I have no problem with teenage cruisin’. It’s the teenage, stoned-drunk out the wazoo cruising, at 130 MPH on the wrong side of the interstate, in my lane, when I’m too blind in my bifocals to dodge-incidents, that I object to.

&nbsp &nbsp One of the problems with modern USA, is that there’s no place for young singles to park, hang out, drink a brew or two, and listen to a few tunes. Even with $3 a gallon gas, I’ll bet it’s cheaper to cruise and listen to downloaded music, than to cough up the $15-30 cover to listen to garage bands at the local clubs, and pay $5 a beer.

7. lyndyn29 says:

@Madd_Matt: In my small town, it’s become all about strolling around town (downtown, up and down Main Street, particularly) at night. Instead of spending money on cars and gas, teens are spending money on clothes, shoes, iPods, and other status items that are highly visible when out walking. After a hundred years of being obsolete, the promenade is back on the upswing!