Chrysler is expected to introduce the Chery A1 by 2009 with an expected price tag of around $10,000. The Chery is sold primarily in developing countries, but will be improved for the American market with amenities like “glowing cup holders, a powerful stereo and other features younger people expect.”

Comments

1. mopar_man says:

Younger people expect glowing cupholders? I sure as hell don’t. That is one butt-ugly car too but that seems to be the design trend at Chrysler these days.

2. Kryndis says:

It’s a good thing they’re making those improvements. I won’t even consider a car without glowing cup holders anymore.

All kidding aside, they’d do well to make sure it’s about the safest thing on the road. I don’t know too many kids who got their first car without their parents’ help and safety was what my parents were most interested in when we were picking mine.

If they can make it safe to please the parents and make it look at least passably cool so as not to offend the kids they could probably do pretty well.

3. catnapped says:

Will they include a set of “jaws of life” (free with purchase)?

4. G-Dog says:

Here’s a brain storm! If American auto manufacturers made cheap, reliable cars that got me from point A to point B in over 12 MPG, I might buy one!

But, this would mean putting forth an effort, so it’s never going to happen. Just keep shoveling out SUV’s, and I’ll keep not buying them.

5. Raziya says:

Hopefully this will be a good car – although I have my doubts. I just bought my first new car (a Ford Focus) and even though it was a little more expensive (15k) than the Chery is going to be, I would rather spend a little extra money knowing that my car is safe. :|

6. LatherRinseRepeat says:

Huh? No “Chinese Poison Train” tag for this story?

From looking at the pictures of this car, I can see this thing is heading straight to fleet sales destined for car rental places. It happened for the Chevy Aveo (Daewoo Kalos) and it’s going to happen for the A1.

If Chrysler wants a piece of the small car market, they need to stop being lazy. Instead of re-badging some cheaply made foreign car, they need to do the research and development to produce a compact car that Americans want.

7. gamble says:

The A1 is like the antithesis of an american car. For some reason I can’t see it doing too well.

But then again, it will have glowing cup holders…

I’ll take eight!!

8. FLConsumer says:

Too bad it won’t help younger drivers drive more responsibly. Then again, at $10k, the build quality probably isn’t that great, so the youthful drivers would help remove themselves from the already contaminated gene pool.

@Kryndis: Don’t know where you’re from, but around here, kids have to buy their own cars. My parents both drove Mercedes & Bentleys, but I still had to buy my own car.

9. balthisar says:

The Americans already make an excellent dependable, safe, stylish, fuel efficient small car in the United States. It’s the Ford Focus. In fact, they took this work back from Mexico. The only thing that makes it not profitable is the fact that Ford is stuck with the UAW and all of the UAW baggage over the years.

Why does everyone say all the Americans can build is SUV’s? Take a look at the model lineups for crying out loud.

10. j-o-h-n says:

It seems like a decent enough looking small car.

Stick a bunch of spoilers, flares, and other swoopy-looking nonsense on it, add a (*cough*) ‘sport-tuned exhaust’ and a stupidly loud stereo and it’ll probably sell.

11. catnapped says:

@j-o-h-n: You’re forgetting the stickers (and lots of them)…everybody knows Chinese writing is the bey-otch!

12. ChrisC1234 says:

So the company that makes some of the worst American cars (Anything from Dodge/Chrysler seems to fall apart very quickly) is going to be importing even cheaper crap from China… Did anyone look at those crash tests? WHY would I want to buy a piece of crap made in China when I could spend a little more and get a decent Toyota that will last forever, or even just settle for a Hyundai (which are actually getting pretty good).

The American auto makers need to figure out that the only way they will survive is if they start making cars that AREN’T CRAP (just selling someone else’s crap isn’t going to do it).

13. The Tribune article says the Chery will probably be marketed as a cheap Dodge. I’m having trouble seeing that thing as a Dodge, considering how hard DCX worked to butch up the line with names like “Caliber” and “Avenger.”

Seriously, the Chery makes a Plymouth Neon look manly. Then again, Chrysler hasn’t had much sucess in the cheap car market since the original Neon. Maybe the new owners think less macho is the way to go?

14. synergy says:

Looks fine to me. Similar to a Fit or Yaris or um Matrix.