Four strawberries for $4, two pounds of asparagus from $34, and Ostrich eggs for $54 are just some of the many “deals” at the new Whole Foods in London: “What used to be said about Rolls Royce cars now holds true for potatoes: If you have to ask the price, you can’t afford one.”

Comments

1. mopar_man says:

4 strawberries for $4? Wow. I’m about to leave to go pick my own for $0.95/lb or I could buy prepicked ones from the same place for $1.50/lb.

2. geeniusatwrok says:

Meh. London is one giant cash-extraction machine. I don’t know how anyone not making at least £100,000 a year can live there with any kind of dignity, but the place is full of stupid people with more money than smarts so it perpetuates the scam. Ostrich eggs? Srsly? Obvious, vulgar, showy spending for its own sake, like the $100-a-pack cigarettes they sell at upscale bars in China that are like all other cigarettes except that they are $100 per pack and only bought to display wealth, or the idiots who buy bottles of Cristal at 10x cost for show, or the drunken antics of celebritarts who wreck $100,000 cars on a monthly basis. Unfortunately there’s plenty of other examples of this kind of stupidity.

3. mkguitar says:

I’ve been through the store and it has an amazing selection of ready made meals, meats, cheeses and wines.
    You can waste money on specialty items there if you like, but if staying at one of the nearby hotels it’s a bargain
    MK

4. synergy says:

That’s insane. Now, the Whole Foods here in the States are way more expensive than the already expensive mainstream monopoly, I mean, grocery store. It’s no wonder people don’t eat the right foods and are fat. The trashy food is way cheaper.

5. Charles Duffy says:

They quote it as the best organic food store in the world on size and selection at 79,976 square feet of sales area — but the flagship Lamar store in Austin is “the company’s largest, at 80,000 square feet”.

It’s possible that the Lamar store’s page is quoting more than just sales area (there’s a parking garage underneath), and thus that both statements are true, but it’s… an interesting incongruity.

As for pricing, they certainly have expensive items — but it’s also possible to shop there on a budget, given a bit of care. I was surprised to see some of the meats at the deli counter at half the price of their pre-packaged equivalents!

I won’t stop buying my coffee at Costco (where it’s roughly 1/3 of the price) — but the staffed counter Whole Foods maintains for loose leaf tea is compelling, as is their status as a retail outlet for local, grass-fed beef (expensive, but not excessively so in moderation). I’m not about to make them my sole source of groceries without getting the house paid off first — but they’ll certainly be maintaining my business.

6. AcidReign says:

&nbsp &nbsp And to think I’ve been crabbing about $3 a pound asparagus with the drought this summer!

7. speedwell (propagandist and secular snarkist) says:

Gah. That’s ridiculous. Good thing my good old Whole Foods here in Houston (pick any of three) is reasonable. Not for food stamp recipients, but they have some things I’d rather buy there. I get three times the actual usable yield from leeks I buy there than from the ones I buy at any other grocery in town, for example, so they wind up being less than half the final cost. Quality does count, and sometimes it counts big. Plus there are some things I buy there for which the only other supply chain is the Internet.

8. ceejceej says:

Isn’t everything in London more expensive? I’m sure it’s not just Whole Foods…

9. viviennet says:

Everything in London IS more expensive. I’m currently in Chicago having spent a good few years in London.I remember my first experience in an American Whole foods, I seriously kept saying “I can’t believe how cheap everything is so cheap here” and that was in comparison with a v. middle class supermarket.

I love London, but I really can’t afford it on a fresh grad salary.

10. nardo218 says:

I worked in the deli. Prepack is more expensive because you’re paying for the convenience, and you’re an idiot if you do. The deli is exorbitant too; turkey does not need to cost $15/lb.

Whole Foods does have some nice stuff, but at least half the store is the same crap you can buy anywhere else, just more expensive with a pretty label. People get sucked in. I once had this one idiot taste kale and tell me he could taste the ocean. That’s kelp, idiot. Kale is lettuce.

11. eli_b says:

@nardo218: haha the kale and kelp story is great. i worked in a deli and had similar experiences.