Serious Magnet Toy Injury Prompts Another Recall

Poorly constructed toys with strong magnets are the cause of another serious injury to a child. The 8 year-old swallowed two small magnets that had broken off of “Mag Stix” a magnetic toy manufactured in China. The magnets attracted inside her body, perforating her intestines and requiring surgery.

The toy, Mag Stix, had been voluntarily and privately recalled by its manufacturer after they heard about issues with other magnetic toys. Sadly, the recall did not prevent the defective toy from being sold.

Consumers should immediately take these recalled toys away from children and contact Kipp Brothers for instructions on returning the product for a full refund (including shipping).

We really do suggest you send these toys back. They may seem cool, but they break easily and the consequences are really nasty—hospitalization, surgery, and in one case, death.

The first magnetic toy company to experience a similar recall, “Magnetix” has since redesigned their toys to prevent them from breaking in a way that can kill babies, and they are now safe.

Serious Intestinal Injury Prompts Kipp Brothers Recall of Mag Stix Magnetic Building Sets [CPSC]

Comments

Edit Your Comment

  1. madktdisease says:

    wow, i just gotta say, that 8 year old isn’t the brightest bulb.

  2. mopar_man says:

    Sadly, the recall did not prevent the defective toy from being sold.

    Wait…give me second…Wal-Mart?

    @madktdisease:

    No doubt.

  3. Thrust says:

    Maybe instead of product recalls, stop giving toys to the stupid kids, or ones younger than the toy was meant for.

    And you’d figure even 4 year olds know not to swallow their toys.

  4. Negative says:

    I agree with the previous posters. Some of these kids sound like they are not at the mental level of their counterparts. Maybe the species as a whole is better off without them in the gene pool.

  5. banned says:

    I’m with the pack here. The package contains a “Choking Hazard” label plain as day. Perhaps we should teach our children not to eat their toys. Much like “Negative” says, let Darwin sort this one out.

  6. Thrust says:

    @Negative: That is just MEAN! There’s no maybe, we don’t need morans.

  7. Jeff asks: "WTF could you possibly have been thinking? says:

    or morons either

  8. not_seth_brundle says:

    I am in awe that all you guys made it through your entire childhood without ever having done something dangerous or stupid.

  9. Thrust says:

    @Psychodad1961: Moran is a fark term for Moron. Usually accompanied by “Get a Brain”. Something to do with an idiot with a misspelled sign they photoshop daily.

  10. IndyJaws says:

    Darwin sure knew what he was talking about…

  11. MandM813 says:

    How can you say that about a child? That we are better off without them? Are you actually serious? That is evil.
    What if the child is mentally disabled? Its not their fault.

  12. ancientsociety says:

    @MandM813: Well, an 8 year old should know NOT to EAT their toys. ALL of us seemed to have figured that out fairly well.

    And if the child is somehow mentally disabled or somesuch (or if the child has a history of eating foreign objects), then maybe the parent shouldn’t have let the child play with small objects.

    You have to wonder at the current crop of children and parents who just seem to lack common sense. Do you remember the small or otherwise dangerous toys we all grew up with? There weren’t any recalls for LEGO, marbles, MicroMachines, MUSCLE, GI Joe, etc…..

  13. Thorimm says:

    I have a two year old who knows better than to put his toys in his mouth, how could an 8 year old not?

  14. AnnieGetYourFun says:

    Either the kid is dumb, or the kid is mentally disabled and the parent is a goddamn idiot for letting them play with the toy. Either way, some things aren’t meant to be swallowed. Do with that what you will.

    Now, I don’t have much sympathy for toy makers, but these hysterical recalls of toys are pretty stupid.

  15. jaredharley says:

    @MandM813: Maybe not, but the parents are fair game – what ever happened to “watching your children” and “teaching them not to stick things in places”?

    I think it’s admirable of the company to recall their product because of a similar product’s problem – and on top of that, if your child is a habitual look-its-shiny-I-should-put-it-in-my-mouth type of child, perhaps the clearly posted choking hazard warning is for you!

  16. jaredharley says:

    @ancientsociety: The recall isn’t so much because they’re small, it’s that those magnets get into different parts of your intestine, and then all of a sudden, BAM! They’re stuck together, ripping your insides to shreds.

  17. enm4r says:

    @not_seth_brundle: I did many stupid things as a child, and in fact, some would argue still to this day. However, 1) I didn’t eat anything that wasn’t food. 2) I never blamed anyone but myself for getting hurt and 3) My parents supervised at least enough to know that I wasn’t doing 1 or 2.

    Next we need a wave of kids shoving things up their ass, so the rest of the toys on the market can be recalled. Give me a break.

  18. LatherRinseRepeat says:

    Soooo.. Why is this story tagged “Chinese Poison Train”?

  19. Thrust says:

    @ancientsociety: They probably shoulda recalled GI Joe… You can get pretty baked off the fumes when you melt them.

    @MandM813: This may piss you off (and probably a LOT of people) but humanity has to live with the fact that Natural Selection is a good thing. We are at the top of the food chain and the pinnacle of evolution. We no longer have some predator culling the herd for us, our weak or handicapped brethren are being helped along in society instead of becoming steak for some large thing with sharp teeth. So when nature finally DOES finally get her dues, she earned it. The best part is, she ain’t taking the physically challenged because technology and society help them lead lives like everyone else, so nature just takes the idiots. Its the best deal imaginable.

    Dumbass hops into the tiger pit at a zoo because he wanted to pet the kitty. DEAD. HOORAY! This guy was stoopid, and we’re better off without him.

    Moron tries to open a live gods damned bomb by hitting it with a hammer. BOOM, DEAD, great joke to laugh about at work. Someone this dense had only one other use in the world, and that was a speedbump.

    Man is LITERALLY fucked to death by a HORSE! Are you going to argue we’d be better off with Horsefucker still alive and molesting our glue supply? Elmers and nature says no.

    You know what happens when these idiots DON’T get offed? They breed more stupid, and before you know it, one becomes president and hundreds upon thousands of better, more intelligent, more valueable people die in their place. Let nature do her thing because we don’t need idiots.

  20. Kaien says:

    The warning labels for choking hazards always state for children under 3, so it was obviously ignored. I wonder what was the child’s mental capability is or how often the parent checks up on them.
    Even a down-sydrome child can learn to not do certain things, as it isn’t a complex matter to “not” do something. I’ve even seen them perform simple jobs to make money. I just think the child was either very curious (very likely) and the parent just wasn’t watching.
    There’s also a chance the child could be spoiled, and just rebel against any advice the parent gives.

  21. Monica Iceland says:

    @Thrust: I’m with you.

    The first thing I thought of when I saw the kid’s age was that she was a bit old to be swallowing pieces of toys. Either she is mentally challenged, stupid or the parents just did not care.

  22. girlfriend 6.0 says:

    Yeah, its kinda cruddy that you tag this as part of the “Chinese Poison Train”

    A. It wasn’t poison.
    B. It was a poor decision on the child’s part to swallow it. And a poor decision for the parent to not properly supervise their child.
    C. If this was made in Korea or America, would you say “Korean Poison Train” or “American Poison Train”?

    The writers here are kinda xenophobic when it comes to China. If my New Balances were to fall apart and I would whine about them…would they become part of this “CHINA SUXORS” train? It just so happens that the product was made in China, a place where many American companies choose to outsource their factories to. Take it easy on trying to connect it to EVERYTHING that has been going on in the news with China, it makes Consumerist come off as biased.

  23. Godz says:

    @msb2: Of course Gawker media is biased, look at gizmodo they are all apple fanboys and tell their readers to shutup if they think otherwise.

  24. girlfriend 6.0 says:

    @Godz: Yeah I’m kind of getting the picture the longer I stick around.

    This whole “Chinese Poison Train” is so blatantly done to inflame people against Chinese products.

    I must sound so pro-big box right now. Haha

  25. Thrust says:

    @msb2: Chinese Poison Train is just the search tag for all the recent chinese recalled items. It started with the thomas the train engine stuff, hence the name. This toy was chinese made, and also recalled, so they lump it in with similar recent items.

  26. girlfriend 6.0 says:

    Oh I know what spurred it, but I think its silly to lump these events together that are obviously exclusive of each other, that’s all.

  27. ThyGuy says:

    Population control? Just take the warning labels off stuff. We’ll be waist high in dead morons by midday tomorrow.

  28. gc3160thtuk says you got your humor in my sarcasm and you say you got your sarcasm in my humor says:

    You think maybe not eating non-food items is a good idea? Yeh, me too. Stuff like this is why we have stupid warnings on so many products.