Safeway Continues To Sell Contaminated "Veggie Booty"

Reader Scott tells us that his Mother-In-Law purchased “Veggie Booty” from the Safeway in Roseville, CA on July 4. Veggie Booty has been linked to 52 cases of salmonella across 17 states, and has been recalled nationwide.

As Scott says, apparently Safeway did not get the memo. Almost all of the illnesses have occurred in children under the age of 10. 4 have been hospitalized. Don’t feed this stuff to your children. It’s dangerous. Additionally, Robert’s American has expanded the recall to include “Super Veggie Tings,” for the same reason, so if you have that product in your house, you’ll want to throw it away as well.

If you see “Veggie Booty” or “Veggie Tings” on the shelves of a store, don’t buy it. No new “Veggie Booty” is being manufactured, so you can assume that any “Veggie Booty” or “Veggie Tings” still on store shelves is really just a bag of salmonella. If you find recalled food on store shelves, take a cameraphone picture and email it to tips [at] consumerist [dot] com, along with the store location and name.

FDA Warns Consumers Not to Eat Veggie Booty Snack Food [FDA]

Comments

1. Youthier says:

Stupid Meijer is playing it extra safe and took Pirate’s Booty off the shelf too. Guess I’ll have to find a Safeway.

2. beyond says:

Sorry, I’ve never heard of this. What the heck is this stuff? It looks like a bag of chips, but its some kind of corn? Popcorn and puffed rice? Smothered in a bed of spinach? This product sounds like it would make me sick without the salmonella.

3. not_seth_brundle says:

@beyond: Imagine a rice cake, but even lighter/fluffier, broken into little pieces and coated with powdered seaweed, wheatgrass, and, apparently, salmonella.

The regular Tings (not the veggie ones) are out of this world, though.

4. mopar_man says:

I’m surprised that Safeway was in the title and not Wal-Mart.

5. anatak says:

Can’t get booty at Safeways? Sounds like a personal problem to me.

6. pestie says:

@beyond: Food for hippie children.

7. MoneyBull says:

Here’s a thought: instead of simply taking a picture with your camera phone, how about also letting the store management know? That way unknowing parents won’t feed salmonella cakes to their soon-to-be-dead children, but we Consumerist readers still get to laugh at the mega-corporations.

8. robertseaton says:

I work for Safeway (I do not speak for them)…but I personally made sure this is off the shelf at my store.

9. Twitch says:

Hey MoneyBull… if you think that I was cold hearted enough to only protect my kids, you’re sadly mistaken. (yes, I’m the one that emailed the tip into consumerist). I called the store, they knew nothing about the recall. I only hope they actually pulled the stuff from the shelf.

10. sciencegeek says:

I saw a couple of packs of these on the shelves in my local grocery store today (Supreme at 43rd and Walnut in Philadelphia, PA). I told a cashier and the manager and gave them the packs and they said thank you. They seemed genuinely surprised about the recall and glad I’d taken them off the shelf.