Hot Consumerist Forums Threads

• Would-be iPhone scalper mom buys kid’s 1st place in line for $800, thinking she could buy $100,000 worth of iPhones and flip them on eBay. Too bad the limit was one per customer.

• To promote the upcoming film “The Simpsons” select 7-11 stores were transformed into Kwik-E-Marts.

• User’s XBox 360’s media-streaming fails to work, but that seems to be ok with Microsoft.

• The new Consumerist blog format. What do you think?

Comments

1. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

The scalper mom link doesn’t actually go anywhere.

2. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

The 360 story goes to a forum about Google buying Grand central.

3. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@Jaysyn:

Oops, I was wrong about the iPhone link, apparently the firewall thing here at work screws up TinyURL links. Yay Tor!

4. rbb says:

The saddest thing about that story about the ebayer and the iphones is not that she is a clueless idiot, but rather the fact that someone that stupid could have that much money…

5. Fry says:

@Jaysyn: The scalper mom link works. Try again. There is a small paragraph to the story and a video.

6. palegreenstars says:

After hearing her comment that money talks (and seeing that smug look on her face), it made me strangely happy in my heart to hear the employee explain to her that she could only purchase one iPhone. iPwnd.

7. Jaysyn was banned for: http://consumerist.com/5032912/the-subprime-meltdown-will-be-nothing-compared-to-the-prime-meltdown#c7042646 says:

@Captain_Tsunami:

Yeah I know, like I said above, Cymphonix Bandwith Composer screws up TinyURL links. However, it’s completely defeated by TorPark & a USB Thrumbdrive. $3000 waste of money.

8. beyond says:

It was pretty well publicized that there would be only 1 iPhone given away. She would have had to AVOID doing any research not to know. Too bad they didn’t show her apparent meltdown at the counter.

@ rbb: I would bet all her cash came from some kind of loan. What’s really sad is that the kid she paid and the camera/news crew probably knew full well she could buy only one but let her make a fool out of herself.

9. The front page says there’s a comment from Beyond but I can’t see it here.

10. Youthier says:

@beyond: That’s what I love! You know that kid knew her little plan wouldn’t work and he knew he could still get a phone because they had an extra person camping out with them.

(How much extra time do you have to camp out with your friends for an iPhone and not actually want one?)

11. Trai_Dep says:

beyond:

Actually, that’s the part of the story that makes it for me. Some smirking dude seeing a scalper offering more than the purchase price for the iPhone so she can churn – err – one iPhone.

Luckiest guy on Earth – scamming a scalper for the price of a free iPhone.

Ha ha ha! :D

12. dvddesign says:

Yeah, that Xbox Comment still doesn’t work.

I wouldn’t know what their problem with streaming would be. Works fine on mine. I watch stuff off of my iMac with no problems. I did have a PC that wouldn’t stream, but I sold it before I could troubleshoot the problem.

13. CumaeanSibyl says:

I really, really wish the iPhone video had shown the giant fit that woman must have thrown about her plan failing. There’s a slight hint of it when the reporter says “I don’t think she was too happy with you” — I can only imagine. Obviously she thought she was just the cleverest thing on two legs, and the comedown must’ve been fierce.

14. Trai_Dep says:

Oh, it’s even better after viewing the clip.

She’s a TOTAL bleached blond, sneering, SUV-driving, Texan dickwad. Wanted to buy the entire AT&T store’s iPhones out (to HELL with the 10-15 people in line, she thought). Boastful in front of the cameras, fanning her wad of cash multiple times, waving it in the lines’ face, the works. Then she walks in the store (first!!) and is crushed by the news that, yup, as everyone (minus one) knows, it’s one per customer.

The guy that was in line first seems really slack, nice. Waiting with his three friends (one of which was just keeping them company). Funny to see his trying to repress the smile on his face when she made the offer. Pretty sure he knew she was hosing herself. Pleased to let her.

Seconds after she got the bad news (bwah hahaha), he’s scooping up his new, free iPhone. With all the extras. Waves the iPhone happily but doesn’t gloat.

Not only did she screw herself, but she did it in front of her entire city. Great job!

I personally think, this should totally get it’s own Consumerist article entry – it’s just TOO good. Ben? What say you?

Gawd, justice is sweet.

15. Lula Mae Broadway says:

Freaking HATE the new format of all the Gawker Media sites – only pray Defamer keeps holding out.

Since Lifehacker switched over, I read it a fraction of the time that I did before. Way to easy to skip past articles now.

Just dreadful.

16. quagmire0 says:

Ditto what Lula says. The articles that *don’t* have pictures associated with them are easy to skip over. They end up looking like advertisements, so I automatically pass them up.

17. faust1200 says:

@Jaysyn: Hey. Sorry about that. That’s what happens when Ben hasn’t had his third cup of coffee yet. Here is the correct link.

18. Trai_Dep says:

Ben takes three cups of coffee to get kick-started? Whoa, he’s a MAN’S man!

19. Fry says:

@Jaysyn: I only saw the two comments when I posted, hence why I missed the third.