Where's That Geek Squad Sting Operation Video Already?

It’s coming so very soon. Technology, the politics of delegation, in-vain attempts at perfection, all these slowed what we thought was gonna be a lot quicker. Sorry for the delay, we know some of you’ve been antsy. Bear with us!

Comments

1. ptkdude says:

I know what happened to the video. Santa gave it to the Easter Bunny for safe keeping.

2. enm4r says:

I don’t think anyone had a problem with it not being posted, the problem was with the completely unnecessary self imposed deadline that wasn’t met, and then ignoring the fact that it was ever announced for so long.

This post should have been in the video’s place long ago.

3. eli_b says:

cue the 4934 people that kept spamming the other posts about it.

4. jaredharley says:

Why the tease then? You should have just waited until you were completely done, teased us, then the next week threw it up.

5. hn333 says:

There is no video. Not after Geek Squad sent in a crack commando team of Geek Squad’s finest to raid the Consmerist HQ.

6. TechnoDestructo says:

they’re just holding back to watch Geek Squad sweat.

If the video is accompanied by begging, pleading, or threatening emails from Geek Squad, I think I’ll spooge.

7. SexCpotatoes says:

So when’s the new deadline?

8. Xkeeper says:

Can we start banning the WHERE’S THE GEEK SQUAD STING OPERATION VIDEO ARRGH *REPLY REPLY REPLY* idiots yet?

Please?

9. Sudonum says:

@SexCpotatoes:
    Don’t call it a “deadline” call it a “target date”.

10. billybastion says:

we’re not idiots for calling out the consumerist on the same type of thing they call companies out on. im not here to flame or whatever, i just think you shouldnt be so willing to accept whatever they feed you, just so you fit in with the “cool” kids.

i appreciate the update, consumerist. its just 2 weeks too late. but you wont hear another peep from me with regards to the issue. happy 4th.

11. Ben Popken says:

@enm4r: @TechnoDestructo: @billybastion: You’re right, we erred, we should’ve been more communicative.

12. ceejceej says:

See, sometimes, even well-meaning companies make mistakes.

13. @BILLYBASTION

exactly. i’m not bothered that its taking a while, i’m bothered that they said “it’ll be here” then never said a word about it.

at least now we know that the tape wasn’t destroyed by the mirror mirror universe ben from corporationist.com

14. ThinkAboutItPlease says:

You’re right, we erred, we should’ve been more communicative.

Ben, thank you for understanding and acknowledging the legitimacy of these complaints.

A trick I’ve learned in life is to not promise when promises are not necessary, and not offer deadlines when deadlines are not necessary. Say “I plan to…” or “I will try to…” or “I hope to…” The future, delegatees, and ourselves are never completely predictable.

The promise/deadline route yields the two-fer of losing people’s trust, and stressing yourself out unnecessarily.

I guess it’s better to learn this lesson in this situation vs. something that would lead you to lose a job, or a spouse.

15. faust1200 says:

To the whiners: Holy crap. You think Ben is sitting on it and giggling while watching you sweat? Get your freakin’ diapers changed. Or better yet why not go to Best Buy while listening to the James Bond theme or Mission Impossible music in your Ipod. You can pretend you are making your own subversive video even though in real life you don’t have the stones to do it. Whiney little bitches.

16. dvddesign says:

I don’t care when it comes, I just find it amusing that a site that gives people a tease of a hot story and then doesn’t deliver to be really amusing.

I thought I PROCRASTINATED when it comes to editing video, but Ben, you’re takin’ the cake there buddy.

17. InThrees says:

I’m relatively new here, and I’ve thought about commenting a few times but it’s the ongoing escalating reactions to the omglate sting video that finally overcame my reticence.

Who cares? There is no set schedule in blogging, and I count myself fortunate that I can expect 2-5 updates a day from The Consumerist.

As for the video being late, as for Ben hyping it and then saying nothing… you’re (hopefully) not going to see something like that at the NYT, but if it really bothers you, the line for refunds forms to my right.

I’ll take quality over haste any day. It’s why this site has quickly become a ‘daily must read’ for me.

18. krztov says:

you people ever stop to think its not ben delaying it, but perhaps hosting issues, or the like?

just sayin is all :)

19. Crazytree says:

legal issues relating to secretly recording individuals, possibly running afoul of state eavesdropping laws?

20. FreemanB says:

I don’t think the video portion would be a legal issue. Since the recordings are likely done in a public store with video cameras clearly installed, I don’t think they could claim some kind of privacy issue there. If caught, they can ask you to leave the store, but the video itself would be fine.

The audio portion is trickier, since that would depend on the state in which the recording was made. Given the number of posts about recording conversations I’ve seen here, I’m sure they would have checked the laws in whatever state they made the recording to ensure that they were legal.(I hope so, at least) Since most states only need the consent of one party, it probably won’t be an issue either.

21. fragmore says:

This is Bull roar.

22. B says:

When are they going to get to the fireworks factory? [starts sobbing]

23. falonsade says:

oh, give them a break!

besides, as a former best buy employee, i’m interested to see what verifiable information they have >=)

24. othium says:

I had forgotten about it. Now you bring it up again and it’s not ready? How cruel are you?

(Kidding. I can wait.)

Better be damn good though.

I’m serious.

25. Xkeeper says:

@billybastion:
    There’s a difference between emailing the editors to request information on when it’ll be coming out, and posting in EVERY SINGLE STORY ON THE FRONT PAGE.

Then again, perhaps you fall into the “scum of the internet” category, but you know.

26. kaikhor says:

Ok, I saw the video. It was there, It had diggs, it had comments…now it’s gone…what happened????