Homeowners in mortgage trouble need beware “equity stripping,” a scam where someone else takes over your deed, borrows as much as they can against the house, pockets the cash, and runs, leaving you to probably still lose your house.
By consumerist.com July 4, 2007
More From Consumerist
- Pat Robertson’s Description Of How Reverse Mortgages Work Isn’t Accurate
- No Surprise Here: CFPB Finds Reverse Mortgage Ads Create False Impressions
- Man Arrested For Stealing House Moves Back In After Posting Bail
- N.C. Homeowners Wonder How Banks Could Disappear Charlotte’s NASCAR Debt While Taking Their Houses
- Don’t Fall For The Mail-Order Puppy Scam